Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 16, SDP 0: Twins Hit 7 HRs, Set New Record

jason castro kyle gibson brian dozier jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,664 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Yup. Never know what you'll see on any given night.

You might see Kyle Gibson toss six innings of shutout ball with six K's.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Blake, Danchat and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

Yeah the problem isn't so much the Angels, it's that there are like 4 other teams within striking distance, where a 10-2 run would almost certainly catipult them into the spot if the Twins play .500 or slightly above .500 ball

Thankfully, three of those teams are in the AL West and they all play each other down the stretch. That decreases the odds of going on a tear and passing the Twins.
  • gunnarthor and Circus Boy like this

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,007 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

See? There's always something! :)

• Blake likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#24 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

The offense is good, I don't think the Twins need to add any veteran hitter next season.
1b: Mauer
2b: Dozier
3b: Sano
SS: Polanco
CF: Buxton
LF: Rosario
RF: Kepler
C: Castro
DH: Grossman

Bench: Escobar
Vargas
Garver
Adrianza or Granite

Gimenez should not return and Goodrum is not ready.

The Twins really need to address pitching during the off season, especially the bullpen.
The starting pitching is legit. Santana, Berrios, Gibson, Mejia and Slegers might be fine.
Bullpen candidate: Rogers, Hildenberger, Busenitz, Moya, Gee, Belisle, Hughes and some effective veterans.

Vargas won't be back, and I'd be very surprised if they keep Garver over Gimenez. I don't believe they trust Garver defensively, and Gimenez is a proven winner. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Read my lips. Santana has shown absolutely no signs of decline.

#25 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Two big moves make the Twins a legit contender next year.

1--sign Moustakas or Hosmer (especially if there is no qualifying offer attached)
2--trade Gordon, two out of Gonsalves/Romero/Thorpe, and a bullpen prospect TB likes for Archer.

Your rotation is Archer, Santana, Berrios, Mejia, Gibson

Your lineup is Dozier, Mauer, Hosmer/Moustakas, Sano, Rosario, Kepler, Buxton, Polanco, Castro/Garver

Your bullpen is still an issue, but the easiest one to fix, and as long as it's not a dumpster fire, 95 wins is a real possibility.

#26 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

1--sign Moustakas or Hosmer (especially if there is no qualifying offer attached)
2--trade Gordon, two out of Gonsalves/Romero/Thorpe, and a bullpen prospect TB likes for Archer.

Your lineup is Dozier, Mauer, Hosmer/Moustakas, Sano, Rosario, Kepler, Buxton, Polanco, Castro/Garver

Your bullpen is still an issue, but the easiest one to fix, and as long as it's not a dumpster fire, 95 wins is a real possibility.

Qualifying offer no longer costs a draft pick.

That isn't enough for Archer.

Papers...business papers.

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

Man, that was a serious pounding. Sounds like Sano might be back within a week too. Twins are setting up to be a little frisky in the playoffs.

Papers...business papers.

#28 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,731 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Vargas won't be back, and I'd be very surprised if they keep Garver over Gimenez. I don't believe they trust Garver defensively, and Gimenez is a proven winner. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I think if Garver is average defensively but has a better bat, Garver stays. 

But, it's an opinion, which, we all know what that's worth. :)

#29 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

I very much like that every high leverage arm in the bullpen has had three days of complete rest. 

• Brock Beauchamp, DaveW, Danchat and 2 others like this

#30 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I know it was low leverage, but it was nice to see Perkins pitch effectively. Im sentimental, but I want him to be an effective pitcher again, even for a short time.

Yeah, he kinda got bailed out by a great play from Granite that was about an inch from going over the wall.I'm not convinced that Perk will ever truly make his way back.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,664 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I very much like that every high leverage arm in the bullpen has had three days of complete rest. 

We made a trade??  Who'd we get???

• Mike Sixel likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#32 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hey!We are on the plus side of run differential!+6!I don't remember being on the plus side this year.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#33 NCtwinsfan

NCtwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

I was re-surprised to notice the Twins have only been shut out 2 times so far this year by my count (June 22, White Sox and August 1, San Diego). Last year they were shut out 8 times. On the other side, they have scored 10+ runs 14 times so far (one was in a loss to Detroit), with totals in those games of - 11, 14, 11, 20, 10, 11, 11, 10, 12, 10, 11, 17, 10, and 16.

#34 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

We made a trade??  Who'd we get???

maybe verlander's eight goose-egg innings against the angels was part of the twins well-crafted master plan. chess versus checkers. 

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 70charger like this

#35 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, this is the one that has me thrown. has Kyle Gibson figured it out or is this another mirage from the pitcher I like to call "The Tease"? He's been a completely different pitcher in the second half of the season, but the track record is so spotty it's hard to feel confident that we've finally got the Kyle Gibson we've been hoping for. Still gives up plenty of hits, but when he keeps the ball in the park, gets just a few extra Ks and a few less walks...he's an asset. but we've seen this before...is it sustainable?!?

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

why is TB trading Archer, if they are a contender? 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,041 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, this is the one that has me thrown. has Kyle Gibson figured it out or is this another mirage from the pitcher I like to call "The Tease"? He's been a completely different pitcher in the second half of the season, but the track record is so spotty it's hard to feel confident that we've finally got the Kyle Gibson we've been hoping for. Still gives up plenty of hits, but when he keeps the ball in the park, gets just a few extra Ks and a few less walks...he's an asset. but we've seen this before...is it sustainable?!?

will the real Kyle Gibson please stand up?

#38 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Someone explain why b-r WAR and fWAR on Archer are this different? bWAR, the one I prefer, has him at 1.3 while fWAR has 4.3. That's a pretty big difference. I know they use different metrics to measure pitchers but that seems like a pretty big variance. 

#39 jun

jun

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am sorry to say Gimenez is not a proven winner by any means. Gimenez cannot hit and play below average defense. (3PB in one game).Vargas is not making much and is a good power threat and I think he is coming back.

#40 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Someone explain why b-r WAR and fWAR on Archer are this different? bWAR, the one I prefer, has him at 1.3 while fWAR has 4.3. That's a pretty big difference. I know they use different metrics to measure pitchers but that seems like a pretty big variance. 

FIP versus ERA. Archer is underperforming his FIP by almost three-quarters of a run this season.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, kyle gibson, brian dozier, jorge polanco, eddie rosario