Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gabriel Moya Added, Engelb Vielma DFAd

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Adam Brett Walker got claimed, and Palka is a much better prospect.

I'm not sure he is a better prospect anymore (better than when aBW was cut) after this season.
Plus aBW was a full year younger, and was only claimed so that he could be waived again right away.

Again, just my opinion, we'll see.
  • KGB likes this

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Their career minor league OPS is almost even though. We know what Vargas is, and he's not a good enough hitter to make up for his other deficiencies.

Palka isn't fast or considered a good defensive outfielder. So, other than Palka's hitting, which isn't likely to be better than Vargas', what in your opinion does he bring to the table that Vargas does not? btw, Vargas has a career .815 AAA OPS, substantially higher than Palka's. And although the overall milb numbers are close, Vargas' are higher. Keeping in mind that he made his pro debut at 18, as opposed to 21 like Palka. When Vargas was 21, he was posting a 1.030 OPS over a full season at A ball. Palka played mostly rookie ball at 21.

So, yes we know what Vargas is, but given their minor league numbers, it seems likely that Palka wouldn't be as good.
  • Cris E and DJSim22 like this

#23 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Palka isn't fast or considered a good defensive outfielder. So, other than Palka's hitting, which isn't likely to be better than Vargas', what in your opinion does he bring to the table that Vargas does not? btw, Vargas has a career .815 AAA OPS, substantially higher than Palka's. And although the overall milb numbers are close, Vargas' are higher. Keeping in mind that he made his pro debut at 18, as opposed to 21 like Palka. When Vargas was 21, he was posting a 1.030 OPS over a full season at A ball. Palka played mostly rookie ball at 21.

So, yes we know what Vargas is, but given their minor league numbers, it seems likely that Palka wouldn't be as good.

Palka can at least run a little bit, and he can play a position. The main thing is we know Vargas isn't very good, but we don't know that about Palka.

• howieramone2 likes this

#24 jud6312

jud6312

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Vielma would have probably lost his spot in November, but, still I don't understand why Perkins is still with the team

I was right there with you in hoping this tenure would be over. I mean, maybe since he hasn't pitched in September he's doing little more than collecting a check. I'd rather he did that off of the 40, but it is what it is. 

#25 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

I think we know or should know that Palka isn't "very good." Whether Palka fits on a roster better than Vargas because Palka can at least notionally play the OF corner spots . . . quite possibly, but both are marginal AAAA types. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

Palka can at least run a little bit, and he can play a position. The main thing is we know Vargas isn't very good, but we don't know that about Palka.

Ok but the question that sparked this debate was why Palka isn't up here.
Not knowing if Palka is bad is not in any way a reason to bring him up.

There are legitimate reasons why Palka isn't up here, so I'm still not sure how this turned into Palka vs. Vargas. They are not in any way relevant towards each other.

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Ok but the question that sparked this debate was why Palka isn't up here.
Not knowing if Palka is bad is not in any way a reason to bring him up.

There are legitimate reasons why Palka isn't up here, so I'm still not sure how this turned into Palka vs. Vargas. They are not in any way relevant towards each other.

Probably because the only thing either one really does is hit.  One is at the MLB level and the other is the only position player on the 40 man roster who is not.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Probably because the only thing either one really does is hit. One is at the MLB level and the other is the only position player on the 40 man roster who is not.

It's September. If the FO wanted, they could both be up here.
Vargas has nothing to do with Palka not being up here.
Vargas is actually a positive WAR player this year, he leaves a lot to be desired, but he doesn't really hurt you.

Palka's AAA numbers would probably translate to a high .600's OPS at mlb, at best.

If the FO thought he could help, he'd be here.
  • clutterheart and ken like this

#29 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, members of this board need to man-up a little.

We want World Series rings, not onion rings.

Arguing about AAA player stats, how they are marginally better than a marginal 40-man player -- is not going to move the Twins needle marginally or otherwise.

He's either got upside or he's got to get outside the organization.Palka can't do Kepler's laundry at this point.Give us speed, defense or other tangibles, or you cut bait, and wait for the next guy who brings something.

Look what Cleveland made out of a cast-off like Austin Jackson.Tons of pieces out there.

No use imagining windmills, and waiting years to realize you were wrong.

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Anyone have any info on Moya's stolen base numbers against? How is he holding runners?

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Curious take. Palka has a career .767 OPS in AAA. Vargas has a career .745 OPS at the MLB level. Palka is only 18 months younger.

PCL

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

PCL

What does this mean?

#33 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

What does this mean?

Normally PCL would stand for Pacific Coast League. I fail to understand the reference though. Palka and Vargas' AAA numbers are both from Rochester in the IL.

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

Anyone have any info on Moya's stolen base numbers against? How is he holding runners?

FWIW, according to B-R, there has been one successful steal against Moya in two attempts this year.  Of course, he hasn't allowed many baserunners.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 13 September 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#35 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Vielma would have probably lost his spot in November, but, still I don't understand why Perkins is still with the team

Perkins is with the team because he has Minnesota ties and did well for the team back in the day. The Twins think they owe him something. 

It's not a good reason, but that's the reason. He's clearly lost it and it ain't coming back. 

• Cris E likes this

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

According to Mike Berardino, Engelb Vielma has been claimed by an unknown (at this point) National League team.

#37 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

And Darren says Giants

#38 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

FWIW, according to B-R, there has been one successful steal against Moya in two attempts this year.  Of course, he hasn't allowed many baserunners.

I found that info you referenced. Yes, he had 1 SB and 1 CS against him this year. Last season 2 SB and 3 CS which looks promising, but that was A ball and not gonna look at those individually.

Interestingly, the stolen base off him this year was by Ryan Walker of Chattanooga, in the 11th inning of a tie game. Anyone by chance happen to see that and can report on Moya's move or delivery on a steal attempt? 

Also interesting, is that the caught stealing this year was on a play scored C-2B-1B (with no one else on base, no double steal), indicating it might have been more of a rundown than a true steal attempt. Maybe the runner was so flustered he got a terrible jump and tried to turn around? :)

It's all irrelevant for now as Moya is not likely to pitch in a situation where a stolen base is a real concern, but it would still be nice to see him deal with a good baserunner. I don't think he could get by with that motion as a righty.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully