Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gabriel Moya Added, Engelb Vielma DFAd

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

The Minnesota Twins announced this afternoon that they have purchased the contract of Gabriel Moya and called him up to the Twins bullpen. 

To make room on the 40-man roster, the team DFAd SS Engelb Vielma.

Vielma really struggled with the bat in AAA which should help his chances of clearing waivers and staying in the organization. However, he has two options remaining, which could intrigue teams as well. 

• glunn and bluechipper like this

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

Wow, Vielma posted a 31 wRC+ at AAA. That's rough.

Related, why no Palka call-up?

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,795 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

Huh, wow, I guess. Not the dfa I was expecting.

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Probably the sub .760 OPS in AAA from a soon to be 26 year old corner outfielder. I'd guess he'll be removed from the 40 man roster after the season, he's no longer a prospect, IMO.
  • beckmt, Vanimal46, sftwinsfan and 1 other like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,791 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

There's going to be a lot of cleaning up on the 40 man. Good luck to Vielma. Hopefully he stays in the organization with less pressure heading into year 2 at AAA. 

• 70charger and bluechipper like this

#6 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Probably has more to do with the emergence of Adrianza than anything else.

• Seth Stohs, glunn, Cris E and 8 others like this

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,502 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Vielma would have probably lost his spot in November, but, still I don't understand why Perkins is still with the team

• Cris E, gil4, jokin and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,445 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Every team has aging but defensively capable players who just can't hit.  AAA is littered with them, they make up the bulk of every AAA team..  They can find a Vielma any time they need one.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 11 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,541 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

I've learned to live with the rupudedly awful defense of Polanco and Escobar.

Give me passable defense and a usable bat over a defensive whiz and a black-hole bat any day.
  • h2oface, GCTF, Dman and 3 others like this

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

It stinks to see Vielma DFA'd, but with his AAA performance, he was going to be axed in November, as mentioned above. He's just 23, so perhaps he can eventually find his way by improving his bat as he'll get about that .490 OPS he's got in Rochester. Even then he only hit .690 OPS in AA (while hitting .286!), so there's virtually no pop in his bat. Great defense, no bat.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,483 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:44 PM

He's a left handed corner OF, and they already have two of those? Allegedly he is also not good defensively. And he doesn't hit all that well.

I'm not surprised about Vielma, and I agree with the chief on this one. Also Adrianza is Vielma, only can hit.

• beckmt, jokin and caninatl04 like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#12 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

Probably the sub .760 OPS in AAA from a soon to be 26 year old corner outfielder. I'd guess he'll be removed from the 40 man roster after the season, he's no longer a prospect, IMO.

Let's cut Palka some slack. He had to deal with an injury this year, and he's coming off a 34 HR season. I'd take him over Vargas.

• jokin and Danchat like this

#13 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what allowed Moya to put up such ridiculous numbers in the minors. Hopefully he can be the left handed version of Trevor Hildenberger down the stretch.

• caninatl04 likes this

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,791 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Let's cut Palka some slack. He had to deal with an injury this year, and he's coming off a 34 HR season. I'd take him over Vargas.

Perhaps the FO will have the same thought now that Vargas is out of options. He's another player I expect to get DFA'd and/or not tendered a contract this off-season.
  • gunnarthor, beckmt, jokin and 2 others like this

#15 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Perhaps the FO will have the same thought now that Vargas is out of options. He's another player I expect to get DFA'd and/or not tendered a contract this off-season.

I'd agree with that. I hope Palka gets another season on the 40 man to see if he can put up a good rebound season.

• Cris E and jokin like this

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I posted.
I didn't call for his execution, I simply gave a valid reason why he's not getting a September call up.
Regardless of the "why" behind his poor performance, the numbers don't show a player who is going to help the club. For example, if he's putting up poor numbers because he's playing hurt, then you wouldn't want him up here trying to get his feet wet while injured.

I'm also not sure what Vargas has to do with Palka. Vargas is a switch hitter and they don't even play the same position.

As to the no longer a prospect comment, I clearly stated that was my opinion. I'm not required to cut him any slack for my opinion. If he was playing injured, then sure that might change my opinion, but is there any evidence that he was?
Just because he also missed time with an injury, doesn't mean he wasn't healthy when he did play.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

I'd agree with that. I hope Palka gets another season on the 40 man to see if he can put up a good rebound season.

He doesn't have to be on the 40 man roster to have a bounce back season. I'd expect he'd clear waivers given his age, position, poor defense, and AAA numbers.

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

Curious take. Palka has a career .767 OPS in AAA. Vargas has a career .745 OPS at the MLB level. Palka is only 18 months younger.
  • DJSim22 likes this

#19 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Curious take. Palka has a career .767 OPS in AAA. Vargas has a career .745 OPS at the MLB level. Palka is only 18 months younger.

Their career minor league OPS is almost even though. We know what Vargas is, and he's not a good enough hitter to make up for his other deficiencies.

• howieramone2 likes this

#20 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

He doesn't have to be on the 40 man roster to have a bounce back season. I'd expect he'd clear waivers given his age, position, poor defense, and AAA numbers.

Adam Brett Walker got claimed, and Palka is a much better prospect.

• DJSim22 likes this