It’s just a little two-game series starting tonight at Target Field against the San Diego Padres. Padre is a nice universal word that means “Father” in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian. In major league baseball… Padres means 100 to 1 odds.
Here are some things to think about:
1. Hills, Minnesota – Just as San Diego is tucked into the extreme Southwestern corner of the United States, Hills is tucked into the extreme Southwestern corner of Minnesota. There are many similarities, such as, if you travel due south you enter Iowa where very few speak English. If you travel due east, there is a vast expanse of nothingness until you die. And San Diego and Hills have both won the exact same number of professional sports championships.
2. Our Twins – There are 162 games in the major league baseball schedule. The Twins have played 143 of them and that leaves them with 19 games to go. If the Twins win the remaining 19 games… they will still finish 13 games behind the Cleveland Indians who will never lose another game.
3. The Padres – They are young and they think they are building something and they just might be doing that. One thing is for sure… they won’t have to worry about losing players to free agency anytime soon. None of the position players in the starting lineup have over 3.15 years’ service time. This makes most Padre fans sad because they were hoping to lose them quicker.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
Morgan: The glass is half empty!
Montana: The glass if half full!
Maddon: Guys… please… use a coaster!
McCarthy: I’m not going to get involved with this debate… not today
Mauer: What is special about today, Joe?
McCarthy: It was 75 years ago today that I asked the girl of my dreams on a date.
Maddon: That is impressive… 75 Years.
McCarthy: And today I asked her to marry me.
Montana: Nice touch… well done.
McCarthy: She turned me down both times.
5. Road Rage – On my way home from work yesterday… some guy was texting and driving and he drifted into my lane so I shouted at him, “Stop texting and pay attention!” He shouted back… “Go to Hell!” and took off down the road. I walked into the house and told my wife that I was just told to go to hell by a crazy driver and she replied… “And you came straight to me.”
Manuel Margot CF
Carlos Asuaje 2B
Yangervis Solarte DH
Wil Myers 1B
Cory Spangenberg 3B
Jabari Blash RF
Erick Aybar SS
Matt Szczur LF
Austin Hedges C
Travis Wood P
Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer 1B
Jorge Polanco SS
Eduardo Escobar 3B
Byron Buxton CF
Eddie Rosario RF
Robbie Grossman DH
Jason Castro C
Ehire Adrianza LF
Kyle Gibson P
Weather: clear and sunny, until sunset at 7:31pm, 81 deg F to start but dropping into the 70s, no sign of rain, winds at 6mph from the SSE. Now that's a nice night for baseball!
Play ball! Go Twins!
Click here to view the article