Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Looks like Gabriel Moya is coming up

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Moya got reps at AA this month right? Probably a better use of him than the 1-2 games he would have gotten in the bigs thus far.

Maybe he can catch some lightning. I have no problem giving Buddy the first crack.

I don't know, getting those first couple appearances under one's belt is probably important. I don't necessarily say cut Bosses yet, but I had seen him enough to want to look at some alternatives too.
  • glunn likes this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Good deal. They needed to decide whether to add him to the 40 man this winter anyways. Might as well see what he's got.
  • glunn, DJSim22, beckmt and 2 others like this

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

I don't know, getting those first couple appearances under one's belt is probably important. I don't necessarily say cut Bosses yet, but I had seen him enough to want to look at some alternatives too.

I agree, it was time to look at alternatives to Boshers. Probably why they made the move.
  • glunn, jokin and howieramone2 like this
Papers...business papers.

#24 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Time to cut bait on Boshers, Perkins and Tonkin.Get on with it.

• Jerr likes this

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Be interesting to see what happens. Is Randy Rosario out? Will Zack Littell join the 40-man. What is the stock of Deitrich Enns. What about all those also rans like Boshers, Tonkin. even Duffey. Will the Twins have a place for O'Rourke? Why not Reed, too? What is the fate of Vielma and Palka. You can't fill your roster with too many names of guys who can't break the 25-man roster but are prospects. Will Slegers redeem himself? Is Colon a T-shirt only? What is the liklihood of Perkins or Belise coming back in 2018!

• glunn likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,358 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Good deal. They needed to decide whether to add him to the 40 man this winter anyways.

They just decided. :)

• Seth Stohs, glunn and howieramone2 like this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#27 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

I get a tear in my eye every time I realize Perkins is still wasting a spot on this roster.

#28 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

This reeks of "gimmick".  "See what he's got"?--watch him pitch in the minors and you can see it for yourself.  "Low leverage situations"?  Those won't happen until the Twins have either mathematically clinched a WC spot--or have been eliminated.  

The Twins need to change philosophy from gimmicks (match-up of P vs H) and move to using quality exclusively.  That won't happen if the FO thinks it's successful.  

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Congratulations to him!
  • Jerr, wagwan, beckmt and 3 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

"Low leverage situations"? Those won't happen until the Twins have either mathematically clinched a WC spot--or have been eliminated.

What do you call the last inning on Sunday? I don't think it's necessarily a "gimmick" to get a look at Moya in that situation rather than Tonkin again. Perkins might be the closest thing to a "gimmick" on the current roster, and Moya might take some of his innings, that's good.
  • jokin and Sconnie like this

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,562 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

This reeks of "gimmick".  "See what he's got"?--watch him pitch in the minors and you can see it for yourself.  "Low leverage situations"?  Those won't happen until the Twins have either mathematically clinched a WC spot--or have been eliminated.  

The Twins need to change philosophy from gimmicks (match-up of P vs H) and move to using quality exclusively.  That won't happen if the FO thinks it's successful.  

First, I'm pretty sure games like that 17-0 slaughter a week ago qualify as "low leverage". The same goes for last night's 3-11 drubbing.

A "gimmick"? What, calling a guy up in September? This is what pretty much every team does whether they're making a run at the postseason or not.

Third, "quality exclusively" is something two or three teams in all of baseball have a shot at achieving in any given year. Almost every roster in baseball has chaff at the back, particularly in September when your core guys are wearing down and you need warm bodies to fill holes, particularly in blowout games.

• glunn, DJSim22, SwainZag and 4 others like this

#32 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

I. (And Boshers seems like a decent candidate to be dropped from the roster in a month or two anyway.)

I think I'd prefer in a day or two, anyway.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#33 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

I get a tear in my eye every time I realize Perkins is still wasting a spot on this roster.

It doesn't matter so much in September, but they certainly should have scoured the waiver wires in August and come up with a name that might have been a difference-maker in a few of those one-run losses over having Perk hog a spot for no apparent reason.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#34 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

What do you call the last inning on Sunday? I don't think it's necessarily a "gimmick" to get a look at Moya in that situation rather than Tonkin again. Perkins might be the closest thing to a "gimmick" on the current roster, and Moya might take some of his innings, that's good.

At this point, Tonkin has used up all of his chances- forever- and....

(sadly) Perk is a gimmick wrapped up in an afterthought inside of a nostalgic novelty.

Edited by jokin, 11 September 2017 - 09:59 PM.

• Jerr likes this

#35 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Co-championship. :)

Nit-picker :lol:

#36 Government Mule

Government Mule

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:34 AM

On Sunday the game was low leverage after the second inning.  The games on September  2, 4, and  6. Somehow it should be an easy notion that there will be a few more games like that.  Chicago and Detroit are part of the battle for the worst. 

#37 Government Mule

Government Mule

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:37 AM

At this point, Tonkin has used up all of his chances- forever- and....

(sadly) Perk is a gimmick wrapped up in an afterthought inside of a nostalgic novelty.

If Tonkin used up his chances he would not be on the roster.

• Seth Stohs and howieramone2 like this

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

If Tonkin used up his chances he would not be on the roster.

The primary implication is that Tonkin is out of chances with that poster, meaning he doesn't care to see Tonkin pitch for us again.

But even from the front office's perspective, Tonkin is an arm with some experience who was going to be a minor league free agent in about a month. That's why he's back for expanded roster mop-up work. Hard to see that as any kind of meaningful "chance." I would be shocked if he stayed on the 40-man roster after the season.

#39 Government Mule

Government Mule

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

The primary implication is that Tonkin is out of chances with that poster, meaning he doesn't care to see Tonkin pitch for us again.

But even from the front office's perspective, Tonkin is an arm with some experience who was going to be a minor league free agent in about a month. That's why he's back for expanded roster mop-up work. Hard to see that as any kind of meaningful "chance." I would be shocked if he stayed on the 40-man roster after the season.

Sorry that it really did not dawn on me that the true subject of the other poster was not the career of Michael Tonkin but their personal feelings.  I  don't think that way. Craig Breslow, you know that guy 0 ERA in a small sample size for Cleveland, would be proof that no one is out of chances if someone thinks you have talent. Tonkin aint going anywhere

• howieramone2 likes this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

Sorry that it really did not dawn on me that the true subject of the other poster was not the career of Michael Tonkin but their personal feelings. I don't think that way. Craig Breslow, you know that guy 0 ERA in a small sample size for Cleveland, would be proof that no one is out of chances if someone thinks you have talent. Tonkin aint going anywhere

It's a fan message board, it is full of opinions by definition.

Breslow has made 4 appearances with Cleveland, with an average score differential of 6.75 runs. He's an arm filling out expanded rosters too, with not much of a chance at making their playoff roster.

I get this "it's not over until it's over" thing, but if Tonkin's Twins career was a ball game, his team is down 8 runs going into the final two innings. Nothing wrong with mentioning probability at that point, and not just possibility.