Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Looks like Gabriel Moya is coming up

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

A tweet from his former pitching coach in the Diamondbacks organization tweeted that he got a call from Gabriel Moya saying he was heading to the big leagues.

Obviously this would necessitate a 40-man roster move.

Could be Buddy Boshers or Nik Turley... Could be others. Maybe a 60 day DL type?

• glunn, jokin and Danchat like this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

He has a fun delivery... Looks a little like Jose Mijares... should be entertaining...

• glunn, Jerr and Oldgoat_MN like this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Could be Perkins last hurrah. Tonkin could be a candidate to DFA. Boshers maybe.

Pretty sad statement on the state of the Twins bullpen that they need another guy.
  • glunn and Thrylos like this

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

If this guy deserves it now, he probably should have been up September 1st.

Let's just hope he becomes our K-Rod. :)
  • glunn, Thrylos, beckmt and 3 others like this

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

My gut tells me that September 1st, they thought they would have Rogers and an adequate Buddy Boshers and hopefully an improving Glen Perkins and Nik Turley as a long-relief/wild card guy... they've got Rogers, against lefties... The others haven't done it to this point. 

• glunn likes this

#6 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,695 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

This kid's delivery looks like it should be called The Human Balk. :)
  • Brock Beauchamp, ashburyjohn, glunn and 11 others like this
“Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir le genti!” - Dante Alighieri.

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

My gut tells me that September 1st, they thought they would have Rogers and an adequate Buddy Boshers and hopefully an improving Glen Perkins and Nik Turley as a long-relief/wild card guy... they've got Rogers, against lefties... The others haven't done it to this point.

What did your gut tell you about the likelihood of Perkins, Boshers, or Turley contributing meaningfully out of the pen this month? My gut would have told me I better hedge those guys with Moya, since he was likely to be added by November anyway.

They haven't even really tried Turley in that role yet, have they?
  • jokin, DocBauer, rghrbek and 1 other like this

#8 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

What did your gut tell you about the likelihood of Perkins, Boshers, or Turley contributing meaningfully out of the pen this month? My gut would have told me I better hedge those guys with Moya, since he was likely to be added by November anyway.

6.2 IP, 4G , 2 ER in one game

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

If they were expecting any contribution from Perkins then I have serious questions about their judgement.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Thrylos and 15 others like this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

There is no reason that Glen Perkins should be a Minnesota Twins player at this point. They have enough mop up pitchers

• Jerr, jokin, jun and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

6.2 IP, 4G , 2 ER in one game

I know they have pitched Turley a few times in relief, but I don't think they have used him in any meaningful role, as Seth suggested they may have been thinking on Sep. 1st.
  • jokin likes this

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Huh, I didn't expect Moya to be coming up. He definitely deserves it, but he might be in the same situation as Curtiss - needs some AAA before being ready to take on the majors. But it won't hurt to get some a few opportunities in garbage time.

• glunn likes this

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Turley's only pitched long relief and late-game. Perkins has been as expected. But Boshers has shown at times, including right before he got sent down. So I think it was fair to think he could be an adequate 2nd lefty... He hasn't been. 

And, I don't know why we think Moya will come up and be better... He's the softest thrower of the bunch, so it'll be interesting to see how well he adjusts to mlb. 

• glunn likes this

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

I know they have pitched Turley a few times in relief, but I don't think they have used him in any meaningful role, as Seth suggested they may have been thinking on Sep. 1st.

pretty much the games were not in doubt

https://www.baseball...1&t=p&year=2017

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Huh, I didn't expect Moya to be coming up. He definitely deserves it, but he might be in the same situation as Curtiss - needs some AAA before being ready to take on the majors. But it won't hurt to get some a few opportunities in garbage time.

I would assume that they both may start 2018 in AAA. 

• glunn and Danchat like this

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Turley's only pitched long relief and late-game. Perkins has been as expected. But Boshers has shown at times, including right before he got sent down. So I think it was fair to think he could be an adequate 2nd lefty... He hasn't been.

And, I don't know why we think Moya will come up and be better... He's the softest thrower of the bunch, so it'll be interesting to see how well he adjusts to mlb.

I don't think Moya necessarily will be better. But if he was going to be added to the roster anyway, might as well add him and give him a few low leverage innings to check him out. It would have beat putting all of our eggs in the Boshers basket for the first part of the month. (And Boshers seems like a decent candidate to be dropped from the roster in a month or two anyway.)

#17 Wizard11

Wizard11

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Here's hoping Moya can adapt quickly and be an asset for these last 19 games. His windup reminded me of a Cobra with the body movements before a rapid strike. Seth, I really appreciate all of your quality and timely work on here. We all benefit from that as well as your even keel with dissenters.
  • glunn, Han Joelo, Jerr and 6 others like this

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,790 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Moya got reps at AA this month right? Probably a better use of him than the 1-2 games he would have gotten in the bigs thus far.

Maybe he can catch some lightning. I have no problem giving Buddy the first crack.
  • howieramone2 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#19 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

He stayed in AA to help the Lookouts win a championship, then got promoted to be #7-10 in the big league bullpen. Timing makes sense.
  • glunn, Danchat, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

He stayed in AA to help the Lookouts win a championship, then got promoted to be #7-10 in the big league bullpen. Timing makes sense.

Co-championship. :)
  • glunn and ThejacKmp like this