Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

In Remembrance: September 11, 2001

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

I'll never be able to forget this day..... I was in 6th grade, and in the middle of class when my teacher, Mrs. Haggerty, called for us to move to a larger classroom. A group of 40-50 of us piled into Mr. Teague's classroom, and they rolled in a TV for us to watch. We saw on live TV the 2nd plane crash into the WTC at 9:00 AM. Teachers were crying, and we were very confused as to what was going on. Some students went home to be with their parents. The rest of the day at school was surreal.

What were you doing on this day? 

• glunn likes this

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,802 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

Working our consulting business from the home office. First heard about it on an online computer support forum.

Julie and I watched in shock the remainder of the day, including the tower collapses.

Depressed for many days afterwards.

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,364 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

I usually checked news online at work first thing, in our small office, but that morning I had not. We lived on the west coast, so the events had already happened (or were still unfolding) and I was unaware. A colleague in Europe reached out to me, basically just saying "it's horrible, horrible," and I had no idea what he was talking about. Didn't get a lot of work done that day.

I seemed to be a lot more optimistic than some about our prospects in the wake of the attack, and was not particularly paralyzed for days and days. Probably I repeat this every year, but I do remember that the identity of the attackers wasn't made known publicly for a while, and I was thinking it could be the Chinese embarking on some gambit; something less than a nuclear attack, leaving the administration with some difficult decisions on a proportional response. "Yeah, that was us. Now about Taiwan..." Glad I was wrong about that, bad as it was. Afghanistan seemed a more manageable adversary.

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I was working at Carlson Companies. They actually rolled tvs out to various public areas, and people just sat around stunned. It's still hard to believe, really.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

I was in college. My memory is just being in a daze all day. It really hit home when we had football practice that afternoon. In one sense that should be an escape, but the reality was that no one wanted to be there and it was a terrible practice. I know small college ball is not comparable to professional sports (and the reason for them shutting down was security, travel, etc), but we had to play that Saturday and pretending to care was not exactly on my mind.

On a somewhat related story, every Friday our college hosted an all campus speaker, scheduled well ahead of time. Our speaker the Friday after the attack happened to be Dr. Drew Pinsky, and this was during the peak of Loveline. He started out by saying that he would answer questions at the end of the hour regarding our reaction to the attack, but he wanted to answer Loveline-type questions first, following his brief opening remarks. What we didn't realize was that he was bringing a camera crew in and he was going to use that initial q and a session in a story as "proof" that college kids didn't care about the attack and were still only interested in sex and hooking up. It was preposterous.

Final thought, I remember receiving a letter later that week reminding me that I was indeed registered for selective service. Got me thinking there was a good chance I was going to war really soon. (I did end up in the military later on as a chaplain, but that is a different story).

Papers...business papers.

#6 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

I was deployed to the desert when it happened.
  • glunn, Craig Arko and Vanimal46 like this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,364 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

I was deployed to the desert when it happened.

You inferred a direct cause-and-effect, then? :)

• jimmer and Vanimal46 like this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

I was in my first class, a Sports Marketing class, at the U. The prof walked in, late, and excused his tardiness due to watching the news as someone had just hit the trade center with a private plane. I completed that 40 minute class and walked in to my internship with women's athletics marketing roughly a block away from my class, and in my walk, the second plane hit. I was ushered into the building by the Williams Arena head security guy, and he told me that I was going to be the last one let into the building as they were going to lock down the campus.

While Williams Arena has beautiful screens to project the current game going on, the only receiving screen in the place was a tiny little screen in the video editing room, where we had a dozen staff gathered as the Pentagon was hit. My direct supervisor's mother worked in the Pentagon, but was at some conference or something that day, so the immediate dread and then relief was an incredible experience.

We got information from Papa Johns as to how to get into their booth at the Sports Pavilion, and we made pizzas for lunch...and then supper. Finally, at about 8 PM, I was allowed to go home. My residence hall had all CAs on alert, so me being gone all day had a lot of folks worried. I was given a radio, and we took shifts sitting with students in the TV lobby, watching coverage of the news, many crying, multiple from New York or New Jersey.

The U was shut down for the next 3 days. I was scheduled to sing the national anthem at the volleyball game that would end up being the U's first sporting event after 9/11. A few notable people contacted the U to ask to either do that game or the football game the next day. The AD came into my internship the day before to tell me that he had no intention to change me, unless I was uncomfortable doing it. I sang that anthem straight, which is always what I did, no goofy accidentals that didn't need to be there. After I finished, I got a hug from Coach Mike of the volleyball team, along with a hand shake from every one of the volleyball players. I got off to the side of the stands, and one of the senior citizens who provided security for the women's athletics events came up to me, tears running down his eyes, and thanked me for honoring the country and proceeded to tell me about his military service in Korea. I didn't appreciate the moment near as much then as I wish I would have now looking back as the rest of the night is a complete blur. The next day, two former teammates, Ben Uttecht and Preston Gruening, led the national anthem at the football game, one of the only times that tradition has ever not been followed in the anthem with the football game.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,676 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

I was stationed at Yokota Air Base near Tokyo, Japan.  Got called in to work in the middle of the night, I was a member of the base emergency response team. I got home 50 some hours later.

What an awful feeling.

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Craig Arko and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#10 Huddy

Huddy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

I was stationed at Yokota Air Base near Tokyo, Japan.  Got called in to work in the middle of the night, I was a member of the base emergency response team. I got home 50 some hours later.

What an awful feeling.

What unit were you with at Yokota?

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,676 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

What unit were you with at Yokota?

At the time, the 630 AMSS (later the 730 AMS, IIRC).

At the time I was the ranking 1st Sgt on base, so I was put in charge of coming up with a plan to secure all the base unaccompanied housing.

You?

• glunn likes this

#12 Huddy

Huddy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

At the time, the 630 AMSS (later the 730 AMS, IIRC).

At the time I was the ranking 1st Sgt on base, so I was put in charge of coming up with a plan to secure all the base unaccompanied housing.

You?

Just a lowly SSgt Crew Chief AMXS

• USAFChief and jimmer like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,676 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for your service.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

there is no "lowly" in service. thank you.

• USAFChief, Twins33, jimmer and 1 other like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#15 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

I remember my mom saying at the time I will always remember where I was that day - she's always said she remembers the Kennedy assassination like it was yesterday. I was usually one of the first ones at my office and when I was in the kitchen getting water one of my co-workers said, "Hey, did you hear a plane hit the World Trade Center?" And I remember saying, "Huh, that's weird" and going back to my desk thinking nothing of it, must have been an accident with a small plane. I'll never forget that feeling when more co-workers came into the office about 20 minutes later and said a second plane had hit the second tower and they were hijacked commercial airliners. My first thought was for my cousin who lived in New York City at the time (and still does) and of course when I tried to call him all I got was a message saying "all circuits are busy." Didn't find out for hours if he was okay. Before I went to visit him last year I pulled out some old photos from when we visited him in 2000 and all of the sudden I turned the page of my photo album (yes, this is back when you would take photos and print them out...) and there was one from the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry of the New York skyline with the WTC towers dominating the picture. It literally took my breath away. 

Edited by Sarah, 15 September 2017 - 09:19 AM.

• Craig Arko, biggentleben and Vanimal46 like this