Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fifth Starter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

This is working under the assumption Mejia is healthy and effective when he returns, giving the Twins these four:

Santana

Berrios

Mejia

Gibson

I've been expecting Colon's luck to run out and that started today. I'd rather see Slegers get the starts from here on out. 

What say you?

• Sconnie likes this

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

With expanded rosters, no reason you can't start Colon but have Slegers or Gee or whomever ready as a backup starter.

Same might go for Mejia too...

Edited by spycake, 10 September 2017 - 03:14 PM.

• DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

This is working under the assumption Mejia is healthy and effective when he returns, giving the Twins these four:

Santana
Berrios
Mejia
Gibson

I've been expecting Colon's luck to run out and that started today. I'd rather see Slegers get the starts from here on out.

What say you?

I'm not willing to ignore Colon's other 10 starts, which have been pretty solid. Colon has certainly earned the right to have one clunker on a getaway day.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, DJSim22, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

I think Mejia will be a five inning pitcher, so Slegers and Dee are valuable for 3-inning stints. Dee has shown his strength as coming out of the pen as a long man, it seems. But, yes, I would like to see Slegers get at least one start out of the gate.

I would have him ready to be first up if they feel Mejias needs to start.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Is it too late to obtain Ricky Nolasco for our 5th starter? 

#6 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Is it too late to obtain Ricky Nolasco for our 5th starter? 

Right now he ia more valuable for the Twins pitching for LA

• rukavina, Mike Sixel, messed up and 8 others like this

#7 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

I'm fully on board with having a plan of 2 starters per game, just to get through the first 6 innings. Each guy gets 3 innings, an then you move on, If course, I thought this was a decent strategy for the post season, after Santana/Berrios, but maybe we need it earlier

I [heart] to fart

#8 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Colon has certainly earned another start or two.  I also want a lefty in the rotation (Mejia)

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

I would rather see Jake Reed and Randy Rosario than Tonkin and Perkins in the pen. I would rather see Felix Jorge than Nik Turley. Against playoff teams, I would rather see Mejia than Colon. 

Hate to say it, but unless Perkins looks really strong in his next outing, I'd DFA him and bring up Rosario. Maybe Perk can get it back in the off season for one more try in 2018, but more likely his arm just can't take throwing the ball that hard anymore. His control falls apart when he tries to amp up the velocity and spin. More exercise? More time to heal? Maybe, but I doubt it. The sad truth is, pitching wrecks your arm. Even with good form, sooner or later the damage is too great, and the old muscles don't have the same strength as in your youth. Baseball at its highest level is a young man's game. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 10 September 2017 - 05:59 PM.

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#10 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Colon's not going anywhere. He's pitched relatively well, and by all accounts he's been invaluable in terms of setting an example for others and working with the young guys.

As little confidence as I have in him to take over a game, yanking him from the rotation, effectively ending his career, after all he's provided this team, could turn some things sour.

Besides, I don't think any of the other options really provide more. Colon is a known commodity in terms of how he reacts to adversity.

If it comes down to one game and it's Colon's spot in the rotation, I'd prefer Colon over Slegers, Gee, etc. If a couple of runs get pushed across early, I have more faith in Colon to stabilize things, and keep the team in the game.
  • Dantes929 likes this

#11 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

You know, for all the criticism Molitor takes for his use of players it really is a balancing act with this group of pitchers.  Feels a lot like 87 when we had Viola, Blyleven and Straker and then Smithson who lost 7 of his last 8 decisions, and every other guy that started had a 6 ERA or higher and in some cases much higher. Juan Buerenguer at 3.94 had the lowest ERA in the entire bullpen. You know, on 2nd thought, compared to 87 Molitor has a cake walk with this staff.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.