Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 5, MIN 2: Molitor Pushes All the Wrong Buttons in Loss

byron buxton jose berrios eddie rosario eduardo escobar buddy boshers
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

I generally agree with the sentiment here. That Molitor got the team to this point with this bullpen (not to mention rotation) is truly remarkable.

If only he would stop bunting.

Or, maybe the players got tired of getting their butts kicked and began playing to "their level"?

#42 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Why are you tolerant of Rosario trying to steal?
Is it because he has decent speed so he must automatically be able to steal?

He's 8/16 on the season. Those 8 caught stealing, BTW, lead all of baseball!
And for his career he's 24/40, just awful.
Him trying to steal, not once but twice, against Perez, is inexcusable.

I see it as part of his skillset, I am generally in favor of more aggressive play on the bases (keeping player and game context in mind), and it was a game situation where it was an acceptable risk.

I realize his SB/CS numbers are not great, but I don't see that as a reason to shutter the strategy.
Papers...business papers.

#43 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Or, maybe the players got tired of getting their butts kicked and began playing to "their level"?

There certainly is talent on the roster, just not as much in the bullpen.

They're playing solid ball and their best hitter as been out 3 weeks. Also impressive.

#44 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

You have 30+ players on the roster. If you aren't going to figure out how to use them properly, then why are they on the roster. 

Granted, you are totally inconsistent in putting together a lineup. 

You CAN rest a Buxton (yes, he did homer yesterday) but part of the game plan is to keep your players as fresh as you can.

Especially the bullpen. 

Don;t use guys for a week and expect them to shut people down in horrible situations? You have to mix and match the bad/okay bullpen guys with a gem. If the bad/okay guys get thru an inning so you can use another bad/ok guy, you go for it.

I'll be happy if the Twins play .500 ball for the season. Anything after that is a bonus. If they make the wildcard playoff game, I'll watch them play the Yankees in New York. I'll fall off my chair if they go beyond that and will dance nakid in the streets if they win the world series.

Yes, it would be ncie if ALL September games, at this point in Twins history, were meaningless and you could see what you have and what you will have for the future.

I'm a little disappointed with the lovefest for guys that shouldn't be back next season (like Belisle and Grossman and one of those backup infield guys, and even Gimenez...let Garver catch Berrios in the least...let Garver catch in the least). 

I would also put more stock into giving Curtis innings, as well as Enns and Jake Reed and such than dragging out the ever-rising ERA guys of Pressly and Boshers and (soon) Tonkin). 

We will cringe and say we can't lose games to teams like the Royals at this point, especially when our best pitchers are on the mound. But the lineup has some blame, too...not doing their thing, or not doing stuff like working on bunting earlier in the season so they can do it when it counts.

Sigh.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#45 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

I see it as part of his skillset, I am generally in favor of more aggressive play on the bases (keeping player and game context in mind), and it was a game situation where it was an acceptable risk.

I realize his SB/CS numbers are not great, but I don't see that as a reason to shutter the strategy.

With just a 50% success rate, may I ask what possible upside there is in that strategy?
  • Mike Sixel, alarp33 and Oldgoat_MN like this

#46 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,676 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm 99% sure the first one was a H&R. The second a straight steal...which should be rare with Rosario. He's not good at it.

I don't think a H&R with Buxton at the plate is wise either.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#47 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm 99% sure the first one was a H&R. The second a straight steal...which should be rare with Rosario. He's not good at it.

To stay out of the ground ball double play? :)

It did look like a hit & run based on the weird slide and Buxton waving at a pitch three feet out of the strike zone

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#48 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Molitor knows way more about baseball than I ever will, but could he read The Book, or at least the article that Blake refers to above?

Exactly. This is what would be nice to know. Does Molitor know about the bunting probabilities? If not, why not? Has the front office discussed this with him and is Molitor just stubborn? Are the charts wrong, and bunting actually a great thing now, and only Molitor and the front office know this secret?
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#49 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

I will agree with this. Don't really like a h and r at any point.
  • USAFChief likes this

#50 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

With just a 50% success rate, may I ask what possible upside there is in that strategy?

Rosario gets better at stealing. I'm not convinced he's doomed to be a 50% stealer.

#51 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Molitor gave up on this game before it even started, declaring before the game that everyone good in his bullpen was "spent" and that he had no idea how they were going to pitch a complete game, all but conceding the loss before the first pitch.

#52 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

I mean his SB / CS numbers are literally THE reason to shutter the strategy. Like it is a huge negative to attempt to steal with those types of numbers. That's not really debatable.  

He was a horrible base stealer in the minors as well, fwiw

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#53 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

I mean his SB / CS numbers are literally THE reason to shutter the strategy. Like it is a huge negative to attempt to steal with those types of numbers. That's not really debatable.  

He was a horrible base stealer in the minors as well, fwiw

As one who has steadfastly defended Rosario pretty much all year, I don't even consider this criticism of him. He is an excellent hitter. He need not be great at stealing bases to be an asset to the team.

As I believe you are pointing out, I think it's unwise to continually have players do things they are clearly not good at.

• USAFChief and alarp33 like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

As one who has steadfastly defended Rosario pretty much all year, I don't even consider this criticism of him. He is an excellent hitter. He need not be great at stealing bases to be an asset to the team.

As I believe you are pointing out, I think it's unwise to continually have players do things they are clearly not good at.

I don't think pointing out his "success" rate is a criticism either, it is stating a fact. I see Rosario and think he has the skillset to grab some bags in the bigs. Maybe he should be more judicious, maybe it never comes. I don't mind the aggression in close games.

#55 jun

jun

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

One might argue that if that second paragraph is all true, then Molitor should probably be manager of the year for getting a team with that big of an issue late in games to a point where on September 10th they have a 2-game lead for the 2nd wild card and are 6-7 games over .500.

I think the success is really due to the offense and defense and a few brilliant starts from Berrios and Santana. Molitor is a below average manager. Bullpen is really a mess.

Edited by jun, 11 September 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• USAFChief likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, jose berrios, eddie rosario, eduardo escobar, buddy boshers