Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Pitching Rotation through September

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

The way the rotation lines up now, Ervin Santana is lined up to start the AL wild card game by taking his normal rest. In order to get there they would need to skip or push back a starter on the two off days. I think they plan to skip the 5th starter this next week. The hope is that Mejia will be ready later next week.

It could plan out this way

9-12 SD Gibson
9-13 SD Santana
9-14 TOR Berrios
9-15 TOR Mejia/5th
9-16 TOR Colon
9-17 TOR Gibson
9-18 NYY Santana
9-19 NYY Berrios
9-20 NYY Mejia/5th
9-21 DET Colon
9-22 DET Gibson
9-23 DET Santana
9-24 DET Berrios
9-25 off
9-26 CLE Colon
9-27 CLE Gibson
9-28 CLE Santana
9-29 DET Berrios
9-30 DET Mejia/5th
10-1 DET Colon

10-3 WC Santana

How would you map it out? You could probably set it so that it was Gibson or Colon instead in that game.

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Depends if they clinch before the last day. If they do Slegers or Gee will get a start, or maybe even two.

#3 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I think it looks pretty ideal. Berrios might come with the greatest chance of coming out and pitching a really dominant game, but in a one-and-done elimination situation I'd rather see Santana, who I think is less likely to be undone by nerves. Then if they get to the DS they can bring Berrios out to set the tone in game 1 and have more options of how to line Santana up for another elimination game if needed.

• bluechipper and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#4 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Mejia coming back could be invaluable, if he performs reasonably decent. A lefty will come in handy at some point.

Gibson, though, is maybe throwing the ball the best out of anyone right now. Of course Santana and Berrios have been fairly rock solid all year. Colon has really settled in and is huge in terms of leadership.

It would be interesting to see, if necessary, how they shake out a 3-man in a divisional series.

As for the wildcard game, I'd prefer Berrios against the Yankees. He misses the most bats, and that could play well against guys like Judge, Sanchez, Frazier, etc, who hit the ball over the fence a lot on that glorified slow-pitch softball field. Keeping the ball out of play as much as possible would be ideal.

If we played anyone else, or the Yanks at TF, I think I'd roll with Santana.

Something to remember in a one game series: you can bring anyone in out of the 'pen. You could start Santana/Berrios, and give the starter a quick hook if they're not looking right and bring in the other.

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

I don't think it is automatic that they would use 3 in LDS. In game 4, the game 1 starter would be on short rest. I really don't see any candidates to do that successfully.
  • Sconnie likes this

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for doing the work, I was just thinking about this myself.

#7 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'll let those smarter than I do that planning. I just want to say how happy I am that we are having this conversation.

Win Twins.
  • lecroy24fan and howieramone2 like this

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

The path for Berrios to the WC game isn't as clear and unless they use him on short rest or skip a start for him. As written, they need to do some juggling with the off days and keep Santana every fifth day for him to start that game.

#9 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

The way the rotation lines up now, Ervin Santana is lined up to start the AL wild card game by taking his normal rest. In order to get there they would need to skip or push back a starter on the two off days. I think they plan to skip the 5th starter this next week. The hope is that Mejia will be ready later next week.

9-12 SD Gibson
9-13 SD Santana
9-14 TOR Berrios
9-15 TOR Mejia/5th
9-16 TOR Colon
9-17 TOR Gibson
9-18 NYY Santana
9-19 NYY Berrios
9-20 NYY Mejia/5th
9-21 DET Colon
9-22 DET Gibson
9-23 DET Santana
9-24 DET Berrios
9-25 off
9-26 CLE Colon
9-27 CLE Gibson
9-28 CLE Santana
9-29 DET Berrios
9-30 DET Mejia/5th
10-1 DET Colon

10-3 WC Santana

How would you map it out? You could probably set it so that it was Gibson or Colon instead in that game.

I appreciate Gibby's recent surge. But I certainly don't want him or Colon pitching to the Yankees in the play-offs. Santana or Berrios please. 

#10 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Ideally, we clinch it Friday or earlier and can set up almost anyone to pitch the WC game. 

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Need to clinch it before Friday in order to set up Berrios or skip a start earlier. He is in the worst spot to get that start. All others can more easily hit that day.

It really doesn't seem likely that everything will be resolved before that Friday. That would mean they either locked up the first wild card or locked up the second with no chance for the first.

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

It should and will be Santana in the play in game if we are able to align our rotation but the thought of him pitching in the bandbox known as Yankee Stadium is unsettling since he already has a propensity for allowing the long ball.

#13 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

We WILL get a Wild Card.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,049 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

I really don't know what to think about Gibson right now. Dude is pitching like he was in the second half of 2014/15. The real question is what to do with him next season.

#15 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

WC game Santana

First game after Big Sexy!!!!!!!!

Then Berrios, Gibby or Mejia and Santana!

Then we figure it out for the next series!!!! :):)

Edited by Bill Brown69, 10 September 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#16 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

9-12 SD Gibson
9-13 SD Santana
9-14 TOR Berrios
9-15 TOR Mejia/5th
9-16 TOR Colon
9-17 TOR Gibson
9-18 NYY Santana
9-19 NYY Berrios
9-20 NYY Mejia/5th
9-21 DET Colon
9-22 DET Gibson
9-23 DET Santana
9-24 DET Berrios
9-25 off
9-26 CLE Colon
9-27 CLE Gibson
9-28 CLE Santana
9-29 DET Berrios
9-30 DET Mejia/5th
10-1 DET Colon

10-3 WC Santana

On target, though you could flip the Colon and Mejia/5th spots.

Honest question here -- given the struggles of Boshers lately and that Mejia isn't fully stretched back out, would they be better served to try to get the two or three starts from Slegers/Gee/someone else and add Mejia to the pen to have another lefty option?

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,801 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Would prefer to see Mejia on Thursday with Berrios bumped to Saturday. I think the extra rest would benefit J.O. for the stretch run.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

I might give a start to Slegers, based mostly on the idea that teams haven't seen him and Falvey, Pickler & Co. might be able to line up a favorable opponent and devise a game plan for him.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

On target, though you could flip the Colon and Mejia/5th spots.

Honest question here -- given the struggles of Boshers lately and that Mejia isn't fully stretched back out, would they be better served to try to get the two or three starts from Slegers/Gee/someone else and add Mejia to the pen to have another lefty option?

Mejia threw 73 pitches in his last rehab start. He's fully stretched out to start.
  • howieramone2 likes this