Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Brian Dozier Is Taking The Lead

brian dozier
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

If this is who Dozier is going forward and the market remains soft on second basemen, riding out the contract and giving him a QO seems the most logical route to take.

Going to be quite the logjam in the infield if the Twins hang onto Dozier. I totally agree that he is trying to personally carry the team into the playoffs. Dozier has always been a gamer, never more than since the break. Credit also to some other guys: Buxton has been hitting about .350, while Polanco, Mauer and Rosario have all surged mightily. Even with a mediocre pitching staff, the Twins could cause some trouble if they get into the tournament. Fun to see. 

That said, I'll reiterate that 2017 is NOT the year the Twins go all the way. This bunch is going to hit their peak between 2018 and about 2022, maybe longer, depending if they can find good pitching, which is still 80 percent of the game. The other half is mental. 

• Original Whizzinator likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,810 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Going to be quite the logjam in the infield if the Twins hang onto Dozier. I totally agree that he is trying to personally carry the team into the playoffs. Dozier has always been a gamer, never more than since the break. Credit also to some other guys: Buxton has been hitting about .350, while Polanco, Mauer and Rosario have all surged mightily. Even with a mediocre pitching staff, the Twins could cause some trouble if they get into the tournament. Fun to see. 

That said, I'll reiterate that 2017 is NOT the year the Twins go all the way. This bunch is going to hit their peak between 2018 and about 2022, maybe longer, depending if they can find good pitching, which is still 80 percent of the game. The other half is mental. 

Logjams have a tendency to sort themselves out quickly due to regression, injury, etc. I'm not worried about it.

• Mike Sixel, stringer bell, Bill Brown69 and 1 other like this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,428 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Logjams have a tendency to sort themselves out quickly due to regression, injury, etc. I'm not worried about it.

I'm still waiting to see an actual log jam with the Twins. A log jam where you can legitimately say... "we got too many good players". 

Maybe some day... and wouldn't that be wonderful. 

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#24 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

You'd pay Dozier around 15MM a year or more? That is going to eat a lot of RP or SP money....

How about we start talking about building a real winning team, not just a team with a 80-100 mil salary? 

I do think that Carl was a tightwad but I also think Jim is a bit more of  fan and is willing to take a little less % to field a team that can win, not Detroit wild spending but reasonable and mostly in line with what was expected when the new ballpark opened. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

How about we start talking about building a real winning team, not just a team with a 80-100 mil salary? 

I do think that Carl was a tightwad but I also think Jim is a bit more of  fan and is willing to take a little less % to field a team that can win, not Detroit wild spending but reasonable and mostly in line with what was expected when the new ballpark opened. 

I hope you are right! I certainly would expect it to be higher going forward....

• Dman likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

76-67 sure would look nice coming out of KC. I hope the "leader" shows up more than he did at Dodger Stadium (the worst team in baseball since August 26 at 1-11  :wacko:  )

I like logjams. They always sort themselves out. Depth is not a problem. At least I don't think it is. I haven't really seen any quality depth here for a reference.

Or, give up on him, cast him off, and let him be another former Twin that wins a batting title in Colorado. 

Edited by h2oface, 07 September 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#27 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

If he's an .800-.850 OPS player in 2018, there's a better than even chance he rejects the QO and someone gives him $70m+ over 4-5 years.

And even if you're "stuck" with him, you have an .800-.850 OPS second baseman on a one year contract.

I agree...I think there is ZERO chance he would sign a 2 year extension at 15/year.More like wanting 15 per year for 4 years.

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

Assuming Dozier will want his big pay day (more than 2 years), there will be one more potential window to get something for him.Next season's trade deadline...only if the Twins happen to be out of it, obviously.Other than that scenario, we're probably looking at a compensation pick.Can't trade him this off-season now.You're expected to compete in 2018, and you're likely to not only get worse at 2nd base if you trade him, you're likely to get way worse.So, you'd have to be blown away with a trade offer at this point.And that doesn't seem likely.

On a related note, Nick Gordon in 248 plate appearances since July 1 is slashing .219/.278/.313 with 60 strike outs.Gulp.SSS, young for his level, and still a very nice prospect etc., etc....but not exactly beating down the door for a middle infield spot quite yet.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier