Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rosario

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,657 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Don't care how much talent this guy has, his lack of patience and approach at the plate is terrible.

Needs to be the first guy in the trading block this off season to get more pitching.

Delmon Young version 2.0
  • alarp33 and bighat like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 Doubles

Doubles

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

I believe this take will be met with a great deal of resistance.
  • Seth Stohs, Steve Lein, Thrylos and 21 others like this

#3 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

You can't take at bats like that. That's a season crushing at bay potentially.

Dude is having issues throwing strikes, and you go up hacking as per usual at the first pitch, a tailor made double play.

Yeah Rosario had a hot couple weeks, but the league always catches up to these guys.

He's a solid player and has a long career ahead of him, but imo will never reach his peak, thus worth trading for a high upside SP.

Edited by DaveW, 05 September 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#4 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

.860 OPS since the middle of April.

A couple hot weeks indeed.

• Brock Beauchamp, ChiTownTwinsFan, luckylager and 30 others like this

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

Dude is having issues throwing strikes, and you go up hacking as per usual at the first pitch, a tailor made double play.

Yeah Rosario had a hot couple weeks, but the league always catches up to these guys.

So a pitcher momentarily having trouble finding the strike zone has Rosario's number. Got it.

• luckylager, Riverbrian, snepp and 2 others like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#6 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

The hottest of hot takes!

I say we don't just DFA him. I say we nuke him!

• gunnarthor, twinsnorth49, snepp and 3 others like this

#7 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Taking great license, that AB might actually serve as a microcosm of where Rosario is at as a hitter. In the past, an excitable Rosario would swing at every pitch, and wouldn't see a pitch in the strike zone. The pitch he swung at WAS in the strike zone, perhaps because he's been laying off bad pitches more often. Maybe his next plateau will be to have the calmness, and the patience, to recognize that some strikes, early in the count, might even be worth passing on. Did he hit the ball hard? It was outside, and he took it the opposite way, so we can't accuse him of rolling it over weakly to the second baseman, right?

I think it's unfair to make it sound like he was just going to hack at whatever pitch was tossed up there. I agree he has room to improve. He might be an incredibly dangerous hitter if he had more discipline, but I don't know how you reach such an easy conclusion that he never will be more disciplined. He's made strides this season.

• ashburyjohn, Cris E, Mike Sixel and 12 others like this

#8 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Again he's prime trade bait. Use him to get an SP or two. Have Kepler and Buxton hold down the Of and sign a FA corner OF type.

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

Why would someone give up big upside pitching if he's so obviously just a solid player that will never reach his potential?

• ChiTownTwinsFan, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 7 others like this

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I don't care how, just do it.

• Twins Mods
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Is this hyperbolic overreaction number 724 or 725?

I've lost count.

On the bright side though, my watch is working perfectly.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, luckylager, birdwatcher and 11 others like this

#11 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

Aren't you the guy who is blowing up Aaron Hicks? 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Twins33, Siehbiscuit and 4 others like this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow The Athletic on Twitter: @TheAthleticMin

#12 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

Why would someone give up big upside pitching if he's so obviously just a solid player that will never reach his potential?

Some teams are dumb, Delmon Young fetched a pretty good young pitcher IIrC ;)

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Aren't you the guy who is blowing up Aaron Hicks? 

Mod note: While true, and perhaps even relevant, I'd like to ask all to leave the personal aspect of it out of the discussion, and keep it to Rosario the player, in at least broad terms.

• glunn, Mike Sixel and DaveW like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

I can't believe I'm playing the voice of reason here, because I usually agree with most knee-jerk takes. Brutal loss. Just a brutal end to a terrible game. While Rosario's GIDP was a terrible gut punch at the end of the game, I'm not sure it was his fault the Twins lost today. This team can't hit TBs pitching for some reason and everyone holding a bat tonight was terrible. 

How about this Taylor Rogers, did he allow another inherited runner to score? Remember when everyone was talking about him like he was Dennis Eckersly? He's awful and I hope if the Twins ditch anyone over the winter, it's TR. 

#15 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

Setting aside anything about last night's at bat, I guess the idea that Rosario could be traded for pitching might have some validity.  Could actually be a valuable trade chip, as long as you weren't trading him the day after he did something exasperating.

I wouldn't do it, though.  Eddie's got personality.  He's the Jacque Jones of this group.

• Mike Sixel and ken like this

#16 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

Expecting Rosario to be a finished product at this point is a little unfair. He's made great strides and it's pretty normal for non-elite talents to take 4-5 years to become a mature hitter at the Major League level. I trust that he'll continue to improve at situational baseball but he'll always be aggressive when he gets his pitch and that's what has made him into an effective hitter this year. Pretty tough to take that away.

As for last night, he still swung at a clear strike which is something Mauer is always chided for passing on. He even fired it right back up the middle like good hitters have always been taught to do. Unfortunately the (increasingly annoying) shift was sitting on 2B and got the easy DP. Round ball, round bat, stuff happens.

• birdwatcher, Cris E, nokomismod and 3 others like this

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

I can't believe I'm playing the voice of reason here, because I usually agree with most knee-jerk takes. Brutal loss. Just a brutal end to a terrible game. While Rosario's GIDP was a terrible gut punch at the end of the game, I'm not sure it was his fault the Twins lost today. This team can't hit TBs pitching for some reason and everyone holding a bat tonight was terrible.

How about this Taylor Rogers, did he allow another inherited runner to score? Remember when everyone was talking about him like he was Dennis Eckersly? He's awful and I hope if the Twins ditch anyone over the winter, it's TR.

No, he did not. The Rays second run was in the 6th inning on a double by Duda plating Longoria. Rogers came in with two on, two out in the 7th and got a groundout to end the inning. IMO, Rogers has EASILY been the most reliable reliever the Twins have had this year. He's only allowed 4 of 28 inherited runners to score all season. Compare to Ryan Pressly, who has allowed 10 of 31 to score.  Or even Trevor Hildenberger, who has allowed 5 of 18 inherited runners to score. Wanting to get rid of Rogers (ahead of ANYONE else no less) makes zero sense to me.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 06 September 2017 - 07:01 AM.

• pbrezeasap, Halsey Hall and Original Whizzinator like this

#18 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

Don't care how much talent this guy has, his lack of patience and approach at the plate is terrible.

Needs to be the first guy in the trading block this off season to get more pitching.

Delmon Young version 2.0

Until there is a viable alternative to Rosario I wouldn't trade him unless the deal is awesome.

• birdwatcher, mickeymental and Original Whizzinator like this

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

The Twins should bring back all 12-13 of the players they are putting out there every day this year. It ain't broke, so don't fix it. These players are young and will only get better over the coming years. And yes, that includes Rosario. Not only may be their best hitter, he is part of the chemistry that will make this team special.

The pitching can be fixed without breaking up this young group.
  • nokomismod, CUtomorrownight, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

#20 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

This team is still young.Just when I thought Rosario’s approach or lack thereof would result in him being a 4th outfielder, he got better.His ABs last year and the start of this year made Vlad Guerrero look like Wade Boggs.The AB last night and some others recently in key situations have been poor.Hopefully, he learns to intensify his plate discipline in key ABs. To call for a trade of a guy who has been one of the best players on the team because of a couple bad ABs is just silly. Sano’s plate discipline has been very inconsistent the last couple months too.Should we trade him too?

Then there is the fact that SPs are the most scarce commodity in baseball.We are not getting a MLB ready front of the rotation SP for Rosario. 

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 06 September 2017 - 06:55 AM.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this