Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: TB 11, MIN 4: Bullpen Lets Game Get Out Of Hand

jose berrios brian dozier joe mauer byron buxton glen perkins
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Last night was the first chance I got to see Curtiss pitch. Even though he gave up the HR, he bounced back for a quick 3 pitch K, and another K after that. He's got filthy stuff. I hope he can take over the role we wanted Pressly to be this year (6-8th inning high leverage)

That was a great example of why I think it's important to bring guys up and let them work in low-leverage situations before working up to higher leverage situations... Curtiss has dominated all season with great stuff, but even his great stuff can be hit out of the part by some MLB hitters. So he had to bounce back and he did. He will have to figure out how his stuff will play and how to get hitters out. It was a good position to do that. I think eventually he could be a closer candidate. 

• Danchat and Vanimal46 like this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

I'm not questioning starting Garver, but he doesn't look ready, and the Twins are battling for a spot. Nothing against Garver. His innings behind the plate should be cut back or eliminated until the Twins are out of it.

Which was the plan until Castro went out with the concussion. I think Molitor was hoping for a start similar to what Garver/Berrios did in their previous outing and giving Castro that one more day. 

I don't think he looks unready... And he's 26, so he is what he is. I think my main point was to not make any huge opinions based on one (or five or even ten) games. He's fine behind the plate. And he's ready.

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

That was a great example of why I think it's important to bring guys up and let them work in low-leverage situations before working up to higher leverage situations... Curtiss has dominated all season with great stuff, but even his great stuff can be hit out of the part by some MLB hitters. So he had to bounce back and he did. He will have to figure out how his stuff will play and how to get hitters out. It was a good position to do that. I think eventually he could be a closer candidate. 

Nothing wrong with him giving up a bomb to Logan Morrison, who's done it 35 separate times this season. I could certainly see that wipe-out slider working well in the 9th inning too. 

• Seth Stohs and wsnydes like this

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Time to call up more reinforcements since the AAA season is over for Rochester. IMO I'd like to see the front office really take advantage of the 40 man (Sept) since they didn't feel like making moves prior to the august deadline. 

Since Niko Goodrum got called up feel almost all of aaa is fair game for a callup. To me these are the players that should be at least considered.

Pitchers- Gonsalves, Romero, Tonkin, Reed, Rucinski, Bard, Melotakis, Jorge, Wimmers, Rosario

Position Players- Park, Palka, Shuck, Reginatto, Hague.

All these guys can be or are better hitters than Goodrum, they just don't have the versatility. But if you think about it versatility is sorta meaningless in September.

For any of these guys to get "the call" someone on the 40 man has to go, but who else besides Santiago and Hughes?

#25 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Catching Berrios is never going to be a walk in the park, and when he starts losing it, it gets that much tougher.

• h2oface likes this

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

"It feels like a [make-or-break series], but I don't think that's the reality," Twins manager Paul Molitor said. "I think a team can suffer through a couple of series losses, losing two out of three, and still be capable of putting together eight wins out of 10, or nine out of 10, and find themselves right back in the mix."

Wow. I guess that inspirational training is paying off, eh? arrrrggggghhhh.

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

"It feels like a [make-or-break series], but I don't think that's the reality," Twins manager Paul Molitor said. "I think a team can suffer through a couple of series losses, losing two out of three, and still be capable of putting together eight wins out of 10, or nine out of 10, and find themselves right back in the mix."

Wow. I guess that inspirational training is paying off, eh? arrrrggggghhhh.

Sure, a team with a strong, deep rotation can. Not convinced that describes the Twins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, brian dozier, joe mauer, byron buxton, glen perkins