Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Thank you Terry Ryan

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have no problem thanking all of these people. But then, I remember the Mike Lynn era of Vikings management. :)

• gunnarthor likes this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#42 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

This would be called "overthinking it."  All contracts go through the person in charge, if that person is not paying attention and is rubber stamping, that's a problem. Is this what you are suggesting happened?

You're "underthinking it." There's a process in place for all of this. It's a billion dollar enterprise in which the most important asset is baseball talent. Talking about who's in charge of contracts is a discussion of superficial and almost irrelevant stuff.

Howard Norsetter knew what it was going to take to win the bid for Thorpe's services. Other scouts weighed in. He made a recommendation. His GM trusted his judgment and trusted the process. They signed him.

• gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#43 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

You're "underthinking it." There's a process in place for all of this. It's a billion dollar enterprise in which the most important asset is baseball talent. Talking about who's in charge of contracts is a discussion of superficial and almost irrelevant stuff.

Howard Norsetter knew what it was going to take to win the bid for Thorpe's services. Other scouts weighed in. He made a recommendation. His GM trusted his judgment and trusted the process. They signed him.

There is a process for everything. The responsibility still falls on the people at the top, who define the processes.

#44 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

There is a process for everything. The responsibility still falls on the people at the top, who define the processes.

And since Smith had nothing to do with defining the scouting process, I find it to be an exercise in futility to talk about his role like people do. Especially when those same people want to discredit Ryan as a non-contributor. Ryan actually DID have a lot to do with the scouting process. Billy Smith, I'm sure, would be the first person to clarify this Ryan vs. Smith crap for people. I'm not going to trouble myself to find it, but he straightened out a writer on the subject, I believe Reusse, when interviewed back in about June, as I recall. 

Ryan never acted alone when it came to scouting work. Smith never acted at all when it came to scouting work. He has said so. He described himself as an administrator, never as a baseball man. 

I truly don't understand how this can be confusing. 

• gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#45 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

You say you "truly don't understand how this can be confusing" yet you seem to be talking about something else all of a sudden.  Yes, I have NO CLUE what you are on about.

Smith and Ryan were responsible for scouting whether they did it personally or not.  Just like the CEO of a pharmaceutical company is responsible for testing whether he ever sets foot in a lab or not.

#46 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,007 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

You say you "truly don't understand how this can be confusing" yet you seem to be talking about something else all of a sudden.  Yes, I have NO CLUE what you are on about.

Smith and Ryan were responsible for scouting whether they did it personally or not.  Just like the CEO of a pharmaceutical company is responsible for testing whether he ever sets foot in a lab or not.

I could have this wrong, but what I think bird is saying is that the scouts and scouting that Ryan had in place before Smith remained in place during Smith, and that kudos to Smith on his international signings were due to the efforts of others as much as it was to Smith and probably more so. But I could have that wrong.

As for me and my opinions on Ryan and Smith ... whatever. Seriously. Whatever. These are individuals that are no longer with the organization so I don't really care. Yes, we are or aren't where we are partly due to the work that was done before, but it's work that is done and water under the bridge, both the good and the bad of it. Can't change it, so whatever. I'm more concerned with moving forward as there is work yet to be done.

• birdwatcher and Doomtints like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#47 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

I have posted this before, let me post it again. LaVelle wrote an article in the Strib in May about how all of our best players are TR's guys. He specifically mentioned Sano and Polanco, because TR was in charge of international scouting during the Bill Smith era. I know I'm not the only member on the board who reads the sports page.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and goulik like this

Read my lips. Santana has shown absolutely no signs of decline.

#48 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

I could have this wrong, but what I think bird is saying is that the scouts and scouting that Ryan had in place before Smith remained in place during Smith, and that kudos to Smith on his international signings were due to the efforts of others as much as it was to Smith and probably more so. But I could have that wrong.

As for me and my opinions on Ryan and Smith ... whatever. Seriously. Whatever. These are individuals that are no longer with the organization so I don't really care. Yes, we are or aren't where we are partly due to the work that was done before, but it's work that is done and water under the bridge, both the good and the bad of it. Can't change it, so whatever. I'm more concerned with moving forward as there is work yet to be done.

Yeah, you have it right, ChiTown and you said it without getting all worked up about it. I'm going to try to quietly celebrate the good work of our IFA scouts, our amateur scouts, and our pro scouts. They've screwed up, like all scouts do, but I see a lot of good things coming from the draft, IFA, and trades.

• snepp and howieramone2 like this