Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins vs Mariners, 08-18-2012, 8:10pm

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Twins:
Jamey Carroll 2B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Darin Mastroianni CF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Joe Mauer C[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Josh Willingham DH[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Justin Morneau 1B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Ryan Doumit LF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Trevor Plouffe 3B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Matt Carson RF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Pedro Florimon SS[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial](Scott Diamond P)

Mariners:
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Dustin Ackley 2B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Trayvon Robinson LF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Jesus Montero C[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Miguel Olivo DH[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Kyle Seager 3B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Justin Smoak 1B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Casper Wells RF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Michael Saunders CF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Brendan Ryan SS[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial](Jason Vargas P)[/FONT][/COLOR]

#2 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

No Span, No Revere.

At the time of both injuries they didn't seem that serious. Span finished out the inning after his dive. Is this a case of the Medical staff being overly cautious? I heard Gardy talk about this on Friday, he said the trainers take them onto the field and put them through specific routines and then it is in the players hands to tell them if they can play. Are Ben and Denard really that dinged up? Or is they just a case of don't rush them back onto the field when we 10+ games out and it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme?

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

No Span, No Revere.

1) At the time of both injuries they didn't seem that serious.

2) Span finished out the inning after his dive.

3) Is this a case of the Medical staff being overly cautious?

4) I heard Gardy talk about this on Friday, he said the trainers take them onto the field and put them through specific routines and then it is in the players hands to tell them if they can play. Are Ben and Denard really that dinged up?

5) Or is they just a case of don't rush them back onto the field when we 10+ games out, and

6) it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme?

Wow, 6 bum trip flashbacks to 2011 in one post!

Well done minn55441, well done.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Why take any risk at all at this point? These games don't matter enough to take any chance of further injury.

On the other hand, I would DL Span and bring up Parmelee, then use Parmelee to give additional rest to Morneau, Mauer and Willingham. We want these players to be at their best next year.

Helluva a throw by Carson to get that guy at third.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

[SIZE=5]Roll call. [/SIZE] Is anyone else watching the game now? I am having to endure the Mariners announcers.

#6 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Just checking the game now glunn, after last night I'm only checking in time to time.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Why take any risk at all at this point? These games don't matter enough to take any chance of further injury.

On the other hand, I would DL Span and bring up Parmelee, then use Parmelee to give additional rest to Morneau, Mauer and Willingham. We want these players to be at their best next year.

Helluva a throw by Carson to get that guy at third.

The Twins could send down the #12 pitcher, call up Parmelle/Arica/whoever and then flip a different pitcher when Revere/Span are finally ready. Regardless, if as I agree with you, "these games don't matter", just DL Span and call up another bat already.

Carson is a nice story. Handling his business with alacrity thus far.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Florimon is a more intriguing player than I thought. I had a mental image of a tiny, frail Alexi Ramirez type - but the he's a pretty big guy. The fielding report looks pretty dead on so far too - very smooth.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

[SIZE=5]Roll call. [/SIZE] Is anyone else watching the game now? I am having to endure the Mariners announcers.

I think you're getting a preview of dog day baseball attention spans, it could get pretty lonely around here. When even all the mods/staffers have moved on, you get an indication of a team in the process of becoming a September afterthought.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Florimon is a more intriguing player than I thought. I had a mental image of a tiny, frail Alexi Ramirez type - but the he's a pretty big guy. The fielding report looks pretty dead on so far too - very smooth.

I was wondering the same thing. Nice presence at the plate, his baserunning was fast but seemingly effortless cruising into 3B on that triple. Looked like a real take-charge guy on that play out in LF last night. I would like to see him click on some DPs, make the throws from the hole and charging the slow ball, but so far he's come as Seth advertised with his IL fielding credentials.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Carson is a nice story. Handling his business with alacrity thus far.

Alacrity. I like that description.

#12 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Nice presence at the plate, his baserunning was fast but seemingly effortless cruising into 3B on that triple. Looked like a real take-charge guy on that play out in LF last night. I would like to see him click on some DPs, make the throws from the hole and charging the slow ball, but so far he's come as Seth advertised with his IL fielding credentials.

I agree with both of you. If this guy can hit better than Dozier, then he should keep playing.

#13 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I was hoping Diamond pitching would give us some better looks. The guy is built more like a third baseman, I guess I also didn't know he was a switch hitter. There is really a lot to like about this kid, wish we would've seen him sooner.

#15 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).

I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.

#16 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Carson singles - Florimon singles - I'm having flashbacks - where am I? Rochester?

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.

I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.

#18 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

[quote name='glunn'][quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='glunn']We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).[/QUOTE]

I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.[/QUOTE]

It's good to unload that stuff - repressing it only makes it worse.:)

#19 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

[quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='glunn'][quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='glunn']We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).[/QUOTE]

I can't fault the umpire too much for that one. It was barely perceptible on slow-mo that Diamond got there a fraction sooner. At real speed, it would have looked like a tie, and that goes to the runner.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% -- I don't fault the ump. But it made me feel better to complain.[/QUOTE]

It's good to unload that stuff - repressing it only makes it worse.:)[/QUOTE]

Then I will also express my displeasure at Carson not beating the throw at third. That blunder may cost us this game.

#20 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Can't dispute that one - he needs to be moving on that.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

[quote name='glunn'][quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='glunn'][quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='glunn']We got ROBBED on that play at first (but maybe Diamond should have gotten there a bit sooner).[/QUOTE]

It's good to unload that stuff - repressing it only makes it worse.:)[/QUOTE]

Then I will also express my displeasure at Carson not beating the throw at third. That blunder may cost us this game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, rather disalacritous of him.

#22 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

OK, bases loaded, one out, Mauer coming up - if they get nothing out of this, it is the ultimate tease.

#23 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

That's why I like the english language - it is always growing and evolving, with new words being created every day!

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

I liked Florimon when I saw him in ST. He does stand about a head taller than Carroll or Casilla. I tuned in right after his triple so I didn't see him cruise around to third. He may have a power side (RH) and I wonder how he'll hit from the left side. His minor league numbers say he just isn't a major league quality hitter, but if he can field great and hit marginally, well that would be better than Dozier.

#25 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Ugh! That's one of the few bad pitches Diamond has thrown.

#26 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

OK, maybe it's time to think about getting him out of there...

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

That's why I like the english language - it is always growing and evolving, with new words being created every day!

Very perspicacious of you.

#28 Ted666

Ted666

Banned

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

How about some offense

#29 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

How about some offense

And ruin our chance to moan and b#tch and groan about how bad this team is? Don't be ridiculous.:o

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

How about some offense

And ruin our chance to moan and b#tch and groan about how bad this team is? Don't be ridiculous.:o

One positive learned so far this weekend is that the Mariners could be a good trading partner, these guys can pitch...but man oh man, do they need hitters ( and we got em).