Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/30): Mejia Strong in Rehab Outing, Kernels Impress in Front of Hunter

adalberto mejia travis blankenhorn royce lewis carlos suniaga tyler jay
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

So the almighty Nick Gordon, shortstop of the future for the Twins has stumbled and fallen flat on his face.  Perhaps he isn't the prospect we thought he was once going to be.  OMG hold your breath and pray.

He'll almost certainly be fine. Just a little later to the show than it might have seemed a couple of months ago. Also means Dozier isn't going anywhere.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, Tomj14 and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#22 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Nick Gordon followed up a .217 July with a .211 August. Against left handers for the year, he's hitting .176. Not good. I don't really know what to think of him as a prospect.

It's a little disappointing but I'm not overly concerned yet seeing as he's a 21-year old in AA and showed some quite a few good things this year. That alone was pretty impressive. Maybe he's worn down, particularly after having his offseason cut short by the AFL. Maybe pitchers have adjusted to him and he needs to adjust back. Who knows. 

• bluechipper likes this

#23 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

It's a little disappointing but I'm not overly concerned yet seeing as he's a 21-year old in AA and showed some quite a few good things this year. That alone was pretty impressive. Maybe he's worn down, particularly after having his offseason cut short by the AFL. Maybe pitchers have adjusted to him and he needs to adjust back. Who knows. 

All it says to me is that he probably shouldn't be thought of as a piece of the major league club until 2019. Not sure how a 21 year old would wear down in AA and not have the same issue the next year in the majors.

#24 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

All it says to me is that he probably shouldn't be thought of as a piece of the major league club until 2019. Not sure how a 21 year old would wear down in AA and not have the same issue the next year in the majors.

He could mitigate that by having a full offseason to recover and train, another year of physical maturity, and rotating with Polanco/Escobar/Dozier if a little time off is needed. Assuming that was even the issue. But yes, I wouldn't set my middle infield plans next year dependent on Gordon contributing significantly. That's just common sense with all prospects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adalberto mejia, travis blankenhorn, royce lewis, carlos suniaga, tyler jay