Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, CHW 4: Polanco Does it All

jorge polanco ervin santana trevor hildenberger matt belisle
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,220 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

Pay attention to the Rochester starters this week, good chance either Gonsalves or possibly Slegers gets the start on Friday.

I hope so - I would like both.

#22 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,428 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

This is kind of random but the White Sox Anderson slid into second and then went off the bag early in the game. He was only given a single. I don't understand that - to me, it's the same principle as if a guy was thrown out at 3B - he gets a double because he reached second safely. You could argue its because he was thrown out at 2B but it would still be a double if he rounded towards third, stopped halfway and got in a pickle and then came back to 2B where he was tagged out.

Scoring rarely makes sense.

The broadcasters commented on this. I wonder if Stew Thornley has any insight on the question.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,220 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

No we didn't. We brought up Duffey in August. Did you really want to see Berrios crap the bed?

Yes I did.  Duffey amazed us and has not been able to recover his early success.  To say that Berrios would have succeeded or failed is impossible, but at the time he was our best bet. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

On the scoring of a player getting thrown out at second--if you can't execute a good slide, you don't get credit for a double.

Falvine might need to abduct Hildenberger for a game or two in order to keep Molitor from using him.

If the Twins were willing to let Gibson have a start last week against the Sox, I don't know why that would be different after two pretty good starts.

Finally, these game recaps keep getting better and better. I'd be surprised to find out any other site was producing this level of quality. The sincerest of cap tips to you Tom.
  • SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

#25 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

I hope so - I would like both.

We'll see. I wouldn't put either of them ahead of the current top 4. And if one comes up to start that is good, but I'd not call the other up to sit until the Rochester season is over (most especially Gonsalves). Good for the playoffs, but also good to keep them on their turn as long as possible in case they need to get called on in a couple of weeks.

Plus Mejia and Santiago are close to returning. SO MUCH PITCHING DEPTH!

Papers...business papers.

#26 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

Yes I did.  Duffey amazed us and has not been able to recover his early success.  To say that Berrios would have succeeded or failed is impossible, but at the time he was our best bet. 

No it's not, and no he wasn't. Duffey beat him out plain and simple. You really believe Berrios, who months later would have the worst rookie starting pitching debut in the history of the franchise, would have made us better in the hunt? I've heard the same nonsense about Alex Meyer if he had been brought up on 2014. If they are not ready, they are not ready. 

Edited by howieramone2, 30 August 2017 - 09:36 AM.

• ThejacKmp, Taildragger8791 and wabene like this

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,638 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Pay attention to the Rochester starters this week, good chance either Gonsalves or possibly Slegers gets the start on Friday.

I don't know what Slegers has to do to get another shot. His first start was very good. He's been great in AAA all year and his most recent start was borderline dominant. Sure, he had the one clunker a week ago. Probably had jet lag.
  • wabene likes this

#28 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

On the scoring of a player getting thrown out at second--if you can't execute a good slide, you don't get credit for a double.

If the Twins were willing to let Gibson have a start last week against the Sox, I don't know why that would be different after two pretty good starts.

A bad slide that works because the SS drops the ball is still a double. A double is not contingent on the quality of the slide or how well you hit the ball - it is defined by making it safely into 2B. That happened. Whatever happens after that should be immaterial, no matter if it happens two tenths of a seconds, two seconds or two minutes later.

Yeah, hard to argue that Gibson shouldn't be starting. He's not great but he's been fine of late. I imagine that Dr. Jim was talking about Saturday when Gee is lined up. Gee might have reached the end of his very short rope.

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Finally, these game recaps keep getting better and better. I'd be surprised to find out any other site was producing this level of quality. The sincerest of cap tips to you Tom.

Thank you. I can't seem to stop tinkering with the recipe for these things, but I feel really good about this new format. Glad to hear you like it.

• USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#30 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

I like what I have seen, but I am still confounded by the FO not bringing up Gonsalves.  If he is our best minor league starter put him in.  He could fail, but everyone else has too so lets try.  Two years ago we whiffed on the WC because we would not bring up young pitching. Lets not do that again. 

I don't recall having such angst that we were not bringing guys up. Before that final series we had gone 8-3 and we only scored 1 run in each of the last 3 games. Our rotation was full of guys that were slightly better than 4.00 or slightly worse and you don't bring up untested minor league guys to replace 4.00 starters.  Do you bring in Berrios as a reliever in high leverage situations?  Perkins was our all star that year and it was his implosion as much as anything that cost us that year but it would take a lot of guts to replace him with a rookie.  If I was in charge at the time I would have brought up Berrios for one game and that is the spot start that went to May.  It really thinned the relief for the next week.  This year is a bit different in that we are kind of set for 4 spots but need a 5th guy. Gee didn't do so hot but has had a good year and could be given another shot.  I would love to see Gonsalves just to see what he's got but Slegers is on regular rest and kind of deserves another start. When do we find out who the September call ups are?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#31 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

I still have hopes they'll bring in R.A. Dickey. He's on a reasonable deal for next year and I love me some R.A. Dickey. He's not amazing but they don't need amazing - they just need a guy who keeps you in games at the back of the rotation.

Maybe none of their catchers can handle a knuckleballer though . . . 

With Castro concussion-ized, would you want Garver catching Dickey?  Personally that makes me cringe.

#32 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

I don't recall having such angst that we were not bringing guys up. Before that final series we had gone 8-3 and we only scored 1 run in each of the last 3 games. Our rotation was full of guys that were slightly better than 4.00 or slightly worse and you don't bring up untested minor league guys to replace 4.00 starters. Do you bring in Berrios as a reliever in high leverage situations? Perkins was our all star that year and it was his implosion as much as anything that cost us that year but it would take a lot of guts to replace him with a rookie. If I was in charge at the time I would have brought up Berrios for one game and that is the spot start that went to May. It really thinned the relief for the next week. This year is a bit different in that we are kind of set for 4 spots but need a 5th guy. Gee didn't do so hot but has had a good year and could be given another shot. I would love to see Gonsalves just to see what he's got but Slegers is on regular rest and kind of deserves another start. When do we find out who the September call ups are?

Not calling up Berrios in 2015 was compared by a national writer to the Nats shutting down Strasburg, and people here agreed. So there was some angst.

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

Not calling up Berrios in 2015 was compared by a national writer to the Nats shutting down Strasburg, and people here agreed. So there was some angst.

And the nats haven't been close since......and I was on the angst side for sure.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#34 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Apparently, Polanco is the tertiary adjunct of unimatrix 01 in the White Sox side.

No effing clue what this means, but I like it.

• pbrezeasap and Riverbrian like this

#35 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

And the nats haven't been close since......and I was on the angst side for sure.

Um.. they are in first place now and not bringing in a rookie to replace a 4.00 starter compared to a 3.16 ERA guy with a 6 year track record at the time being shut down is a bit of a stretch.  I may have had angst and wanted him called up but the only part I remember is the May start bothering me a bit.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#36 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

I thought they should have called up Berrios too, perhaps in a more limited role. Not sure how the poster doesn't remember any angst that year. It was a massive topic!

(But the Strasburg comparison from that Fangraphs writer was still one of the most ridiculous Twins related things I've seen from a national writer)

#37 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,863 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Not sure how the poster doesn't remember any angst that year. It was a massive topic!

Perhaps it was lost amidst the angst over so many other things.

• Dantes929 and mickeymental like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#38 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Um.. they are in first place now and not bringing in a rookie to replace a 4.00 starter compared to a 3.16 ERA guy with a 6 year track record at the time being shut down is a bit of a stretch.  I may have had angst and wanted him called up but the only part I remember is the May start bothering me a bit.

The May start was an abomination by the front office. Say what you will about them, but I am quite confident the current front office won't make a mistake that egregious in season.

• USAFChief likes this

#39 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Perhaps it was lost amidst the angst over so many other things.

Touche

• Craig Arko likes this

#40 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,638 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Definitely growing concerned about the overuse of Hildenberger.

Busenitz seems to be doing well. Not sure why he wasn't used in Sunday's game or even last night. Since Sugust 1, Alan has 10 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K. Sounds like a guy who is prepared for a larger role. The Twins aren't going to get into postseason by relying on 3 relievers in games they are leading.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, ervin santana, trevor hildenberger, matt belisle