Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, CHW 4: Polanco Does it All

jorge polanco ervin santana trevor hildenberger matt belisle
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Jorge Polanco stole a base, hit a home run from the left side, hit a home run from the right side and made a web gem in the field. Nice little Tuesday at the ballpark for the young man. Also, Ervin Santana delivered a quality start and Matt Belisle picked up the save.Snapshot (chart via Fangraphs)
Download attachment: Sanp829.png
What a terror Jorge has been against Chicago. Seven of Polanco’s nine home runs this season have come against the White Sox. He made another special memory against them tonight, as it was the first multi-homer game of Polanco’s career -- hitting one from each side.

Every hitter in the lineup reached base safely at least once for the Twins. Ervin Santana put together a quality start, limiting the White Sox to three runs over 6.2 innings. He hasn’t given up four or more runs in seven-straight starts.

Trevor Hildenberger was the first man out of the bullpen, which was a bit surprising considering the fact that Hildy had pitched in five of the team’s last six games. And since his debut on June 23, only 15 relievers have logged more innings than Hildenberger’s 28.1 heading into tonight. He allowed a runner he inherited from Ervin to score, but ended up recording four outs, all on strikeouts.

Matt Belisle gave up a run in the ninth, but secured his fifth save of the season. That matches his career total entering this year.

Standings
The Twins still trail Cleveland by 6.5 games in the division. At the conclusion of their game, the Twins were just 2.5 games back of the Yankees for the top Wild Card spot and 1.5 games up on both Baltimore and the Angels, though Anaheim’s game was in progress.

Postgame With Polanco

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Bullpen829.png
Looking Ahead
Wed: Twins (Jose Berrios) vs. White Sox (Derek Holland), 7:10 pm CT
Thu: Twins (Bartolo Colon) vs. White Sox (Miguel Gonzalez), 12:10 pm CT
Fri: Twins (TBD) vs. Royals (TBD), 7:10 pm CT

Looking Back
MIN 7, TOR 2: Buxton Hits 3 Homers, Twins Win Series at Toronto
TOR 10, MIN 9: Sloppy 8th Inning Costs Twins in Comeback Effort
MIN 6, TOR 1: Buxton, Bartolo Get Twins Back to Winning Ways

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

What a delightfully confounding team is this 2017 Twins. Before our very eyes they appear to be blossoming into a club that can play with anybody. A new young core is maturing while veterans are showing the kids how to act like professionals. However this season ends, it hints at a bright future for the Minnesota Twins. 

• Blake, pbrezeasap, Riverbrian and 7 others like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#3 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 330 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

Wow – Did anyone expect the Twins to still be in the hunt on Aug. 29? It looks like this team has woken up – with new heroes every night. It's fun to watch them.

Let's hope they can continue to win, and overtake Cleveland to win the AL Central!

• pbrezeasap and mikelink45 like this

#4 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,528 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

Apparently, Polanco is the tertiary adjunct of unimatrix 01 in the White Sox side.
  • Riverbrian and nytwinsfan like this

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,286 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:28 AM

Still a couple days left in August to supplement, Falvine...
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#6 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

Still a couple days left in August to supplement, Falvine...

I still have hopes they'll bring in R.A. Dickey. He's on a reasonable deal for next year and I love me some R.A. Dickey. He's not amazing but they don't need amazing - they just need a guy who keeps you in games at the back of the rotation.

Maybe none of their catchers can handle a knuckleballer though . . . 

• Dantes929 likes this

#7 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

Let's hope they can continue to win, and overtake Cleveland to win the AL Central!

Maybe this makes me a bad person but I've just about entirely given up on them winning the AL Central and am pretty solely focused on the AL Wild Card. Let's overtake the stupid Yankees!

• CUtomorrownight and Original Whizzinator like this

#8 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,633 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

I like what I have seen, but I am still confounded by the FO not bringing up Gonsalves.  If he is our best minor league starter put him in.  He could fail, but everyone else has too so lets try.  Two years ago we whiffed on the WC because we would not bring up young pitching. Lets not do that again. 

#9 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers Miracle

• 478 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Polanco also made a very heads-up play by keeping the tag on whichever White Sox player hit the double & over-slid the bag. Good stuff.
  • Mike Sixel, Dantes929, ThejacKmp and 2 others like this

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,667 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

The way we are playing now I think we can beat anyone in a wild card game.

\

he gone!

#11 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hildenberger has been much better than I anticipated. Really nice revelation down the stretch (but maybe not 5 out of 6 games).

They could really use one more RH reliever, but don't think they are getting through waivers at this point.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this
Papers...business papers.

#12 JaleelWhite FanClub

JaleelWhite FanClub

Ft Myers Miracle

• 342 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

It's great watching Polanco's surge. I know most of the spotlight has been taken away as Buxton's turnaround has happened at the same time.

He can add so much potential for this team as a switch-hitter with speed and a decent glove at 3 infield positions.

You had to know all the talk around Polanco's downfall early this summer was way too premature. I have to imagine the loss in his family he suffered took a toll.

It seems that if any young player not named Buxton has a slump, to most fans, their careers are over (i.e. Rosario, Polanco, Berrios, etc.).

Here's to hoping that Jorge fits in alongside Byron as a member of the Twins core for the years ahead.

• Dantes929 likes this

#13 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

I like what I have seen, but I am still confounded by the FO not bringing up Gonsalves.  If he is our best minor league starter put him in.  He could fail, but everyone else has too so lets try.  Two years ago we whiffed on the WC because we would not bring up young pitching. Lets not do that again. 

Pay attention to the Rochester starters this week, good chance either Gonsalves or possibly Slegers gets the start on Friday.

• ThejacKmp likes this
Papers...business papers.

#14 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Fun team to watch, they are really clicking. Of course it helps when you are playing teams below .500.

Still though, impressive run they are on, especially when considering their All-star 3B and starting catcher are both on the DL.

#15 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

I still have hopes they'll bring in R.A. Dickey. He's on a reasonable deal for next year and I love me some R.A. Dickey. He's not amazing but they don't need amazing - they just need a guy who keeps you in games at the back of the rotation.

Maybe none of their catchers can handle a knuckleballer though . . . 

I always like having a knuckle baller on the team. Seems to mess up other team's timing for the next guy in the rotation. I see he is playing for the Braves which made me think in a couple deals we could give up a low prospect for him and flip him for a couple higher ranked prospects which led me to check on Garcia for the Yankees. 0-1 with a 5.95 ERA. That led me to look at Aaron Hicks stats and I see he is batting .167 in the 2nd half which makes me think again that he would have made a good platoon guy for us with his right handed bat and our left handed heavy outfield.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,822 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Hildenberger has been much better than I anticipated. Really nice revelation down the stretch (but maybe not 5 out of 6 games).

They could really use one more RH reliever, but don't think they are getting through waivers at this point.

Jake Reed is sporting a nice 1.98 ERA in 27 AAA innings.... But, like we've talked about before, for some reason they've been letting him pitch once every 3 or so days all season. 

#17 JaleelWhite FanClub

JaleelWhite FanClub

Ft Myers Miracle

• 342 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

The way we are playing now I think we can beat anyone in a wild card game.

I agree. The one caveat would be that the Twins would need to clinch a spot with a couple of games left. That way they could set up the rotation to have Santana start the WC game. I don't know if I'd trust anyone else in that spot.

Also, the big fear would be to face a good lefty starter in the WC game (or even a WC #2 play-in game). Kepler and Castro would then become a non-factors while Rosario and Mauer would be neutralized. Polanco and/or Escobar would have to hit from their weaker right sides. A lot would fall on Sano, Buxton, and Dozier.

#18 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

This is kind of random but the White Sox Anderson slid into second and then went off the bag early in the game. He was only given a single. I don't understand that - to me, it's the same principle as if a guy was thrown out at 3B - he gets a double because he reached second safely. You could argue its because he was thrown out at 2B but it would still be a double if he rounded towards third, stopped halfway and got in a pickle and then came back to 2B where he was tagged out.

Scoring rarely makes sense.
  • Dantes929 likes this

#19 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,722 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

Pay attention to the Rochester starters this week, good chance either Gonsalves or possibly Slegers gets the start on Friday.

According the the Red Wing website it's Mejia tonight, Hurlbut tomorrow, followed by TBD on Friday and Saturday. Santiago started Tuesday and went 2.2, Jorge started Monday and Slegers started Sunday and went 8 innings, 5 hits, 3 runs, 10 SOs. Slegers would be in regular rest Friday.  I personally would prefer to see Slegers since he's already shown a start with good results. I would like to see Slegers Friday with Gee back in the BP where he belongs and can help. 

#20 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,697 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

No we didn't. We brought up Duffey in August. Did you really want to see Berrios crap the bed?

• ThejacKmp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, ervin santana, trevor hildenberger, matt belisle