Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/25): Miracle, E-Twins Explode for Double-Digit Runs

stephen gonsalves jaylin davis brent rooker carson crites tyler jay
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

I'm not sure I'd call BABIP a truly luck driven stat. If anyone on this forum got out on the mound, we would post pretty high BABIP (for the pitches that stayed in the park at least) that would never normalize. I suspect the high number has something to do with Gonsalves needing to make some adjustments. That, too, is pretty normal given this his first taste of AAA.

As for his future, I think most projectors have him as a mid rotation guy. That seems reasonable, but given his results, he could likely end up better... or worse. You never really know.

#42 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Mod note, quite a few jabs at people's expense have been hidden. If they continue in this thread, it will be followed by points. Please stick to the baseball conversation at hand as it has been rather enjoyable.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#43 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Where do you think wander Javier would have gone in the draft had he been draft eligible this year? Top 5? Top 10?

That's an interesting question. But difficult to answer seeing he comes from such a different background compared with high school and college kids. But considering his apparent talent, certainly should have gone high.

#44 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Where do you think wander Javier would have gone in the draft had he been draft eligible this year? Top 5? Top 10?

Considering the prep SS position was Royce Lewis then Jeter Downs, Nick Allen and Hunter Greene, Wander would have likely been considered a Top 10 draft pick in this year's draft.

#45 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'm not sure I'd call BABIP a truly luck driven stat. 

It's not, but really 'luck' is just shorthand for the fact that it's quite noisy, such that large amounts of data are needed to begin determining a pitcher's true ability.

• TRex likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, jaylin davis, brent rooker, carson crites, tyler jay