Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins 2018 payroll

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Escobar is a poor fielder at several positions. He has a negative UZR everywhere he has played for his career except shortstop, where it is 0.2, which is still not good.

Fully half of all fielders have a negative UZR per FanGraphs.

Escobar is at -.1, above Dozier, Sano and Polanco.

I think he does a pretty good job for a guy who can actually hit some.

You want a super fielding MI you either get a superstar or field a Florimon.

• Mike Sixel and cmoss84 like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#42 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Fully half of all fielders have a negative UZR per FanGraphs.
Escobar is at -.1, above Dozier, Sano and Polanco.

I think he does a pretty good job for a guy who can actually hit some.
You want a super fielding MI you either get a superstar or field a Florimon.

lol, you're kidding right? Of course half the infielders have negative UZR. A zero UZR would be league average. Half above. Half below.

#43 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,866 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Attendance has also plummeted due to 5 years of bottom 5 performance. That affects revenues.

It does. But they also need to embrace John Maynard Keynes' economics. Even Nixon or Friedman or somebody stated that we're all Keynesians now, 40+ years ago. A little cyclical deficit spending should not make anyone run away in terror.

/ Yes, I realize a private business isn't the gubmint. This was a little tongue in cheek. A little.

• Sconnie and PDX Twin like this

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

#44 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

Attendance has also plummeted due to 5 years of bottom 5 performance. That affects revenues. Win games and fans will come back. It is a beautiful park and Twins fans are great but they can't deal with constant losing.

I believe there have been articles etc. in the past where the Pohlad's have said they are willing to spend around 50 to low 50's a % of revenue towards payroll.  

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#45 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

• Sign one of Carlos Santana/J.D. Martinez
  • Find another starter

I'd feel good about this team's chances if they do this. 

• USAFChief and Vanimal46 like this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#46 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,564 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

I really could care less about the payroll number. I don't think that's the best way of looking at it. What I will say is that I'll be very disappointed if our Twins don't go out and get one legit above average SP and one shut down RP. They can afford to do that via FA or via creative trades. I don't really care which one. Their window is open as of next year. If they walk into next season with the same group of pitchers (particularly starters), I won't be happy.

#47 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

• Sign one of Carlos Santana/J.D. Martinez
  • Find another starter

I'd feel good about this team's chances if they do this. </p>

This post was way easier to quote and agree with than the long post on the previous page.

Right-handed DH/1B/OF.
A really good one.

One relief pitcher
A really good one.

One SP.
One that's had a couple down years but is a candidate for a make-good, one year deal. With upside and only financial downside (one year of it)
  • USAFChief likes this

#48 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,290 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Which is why JT Chargois remains a wasted spot on the 40 man roster.  The Twins could have retroactively placed him on the MLB 60 day DL.  They chose not to do so.  No service time.  No MLB salary.

Players on the 60 day DL do acquire service time.

Players on the minor league DL cannot be placed on the 60 day DL.

Not sure about salary, but I assume a player making league minimum placed on the 60 day DL would continue to receive it given that they continue to accrue service time.

• USAFChief likes this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#49 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,290 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

Escobar is a poor fielder at several positions. He has a negative UZR everywhere he has played for his career except shortstop, where it is 0.2, which is still not good.

lol, you're kidding right? Of course half the infielders have negative UZR. A zero UZR would be league average. Half above. Half below.

Which is it? Is he a poor fielding shortstop, or a league average one?

• Oldgoat_MN, 70charger and kab21 like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#50 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,882 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

And here is what Levine said in a recent interview - "I'm not sure how you're vanquishing foes, and our goal is to vanquish the foes."

Does he seriously talk like that?
  • gunnarthor and cmoss84 like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#51 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Not sure about salary, but I assume a player making league minimum placed on the 60 day DL would continue to receive it given that they continue to accrue service time.

Yes. I understand all this. But Chargois was optioned out in ST because he pitched poorly. It was basically right after that that he went on the shelf. The logical and undeniable conclusion is that he pitched poorly because he was hurt. At that time, the Twins could have rescinded his option (and thus saved an option for possible use in the future) and placed him on the MLB DL. The Twins decided not to do this. Other teams have. I can't think of examples, but this issue was discussed in May and examples were given then. The Twins decided that saving a few bucks and not giving Chargois service time was more valuable than saving an option and eventually a 40 man roster spot. The Twins didn't know that in March, but they did by May.

Just remember this some day in the future if the Twins want to send Chargois down but can't because he's out of options.

#52 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Game of Twins? :-)

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

#53 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,564 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

This.... I'd add to this a bit... placing Chargois on the 60 day major league DL is only necessary if there is absolutely no chaff on the 40. While we have been at 40 most of the year, I don't think any of us can say with confidence that there were clear upgrades on the major league wire that could have been had for a 40 man spot.

#54 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,053 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Yes. I understand all this. But Chargois was optioned out in ST because he pitched poorly. It was basically right after that that he went on the shelf. The logical and undeniable conclusion is that he pitched poorly because he was hurt. At that time, the Twins could have rescinded his option (and thus saved an option for possible use in the future) and placed him on the MLB DL. The Twins decided not to do this. Other teams have. I can't think of examples, but this issue was discussed in May and examples were given then. The Twins decided that saving a few bucks and not giving Chargois service time was more valuable than saving an option and eventually a 40 man roster spot. The Twins didn't know that in March, but they did by May.

Just remember this some day in the future if the Twins want to send Chargois down but can't because he's out of options.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel, snepp and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#55 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,866 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Verily.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 1 other like this

#56 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

I believe there have been articles etc. in the past where the Pohlad's have said they are willing to spend around 50 to low 50's a % of revenue towards payroll.  

Yes, and if you increase revenue by drawing more fans then you increase payroll. I am not at all surprised that attendance and payroll has dropped (relative to the league) when they were losing for many years. Win for a couple of years and they will draw far more fans than now (thus increase revenue/payroll).

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#57 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

lol? That's all you got?

You act like Escobar is a poor fielder, I make multiple points and you come back with lol?

You got to pick up your game, yarn.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, snepp and 1 other like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#58 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yes, and if you increase revenue by drawing more fans then you increase payroll. I am not at all surprised that attendance and payroll has dropped (relative to the league) when they were losing for many years. Win for a couple of years and they will draw far more fans than now (thus increase revenue/payroll).

I think these days the TV contracts dictate revenue as much or more than attendance, though I could be wrong.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#59 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,866 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

lol? That's all you got?

You act like Escobar is a poor fielder, I make multiple points and you come back with lol?

You got to pick up your game, yarn.

Mod note: Guys. LOL is OK if you're laughing with someone, at their joke for example - not if you're laughing at the person. And don't make it personal in response. There's been too much of this in general on the site lately, so let's please dial it back, everyone.

• diehardtwinsfan and Oldgoat_MN like this

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,742 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Upon further review, Escobar finished the year strong and should probably get the $4 MM arbitration next year. Even with expected regression, he's good 3B insurance. 

I still wouldn't offer Gibson arbitration and aim higher via trade/FA using the $20 MM in the budget.