Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Falvey

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,753 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

Shame on the Twins front office for calling up Melville and starting Gee in this double header.

This would have been the perfect time to reward pitchers with an actual future for this club with starts.
  • Jerr, peterb18, Highabove and 4 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,341 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Or, to beat a dead horse, maybe not sell at the deadline.
  • USAFChief and DaveW like this
Papers...business papers.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,971 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

I thought they were pitching gurus?
  • DaveW, Hosken Bombo Disco and twinssouth like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

It baffles me that you are in strong wild card position and choose to start a pitcher that does knot have a
major league future. Are they playing games, or what? What about the philosophy of best players play? This is what makes fans so suspicious of Pohlad run teams. So disappointing!!
  • caninatl04 likes this

#5 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,753 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Or, to beat a dead horse, maybe not sell at the deadline.

Or if you sell, at least don't sell just to acquire a bunch of AAAA upside type guys.

This is what happens when ownership goes "cheap" on the GM search. These guys have done zero to help out this team for 2017 or the future.

Unreal.
  • jud6312 likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#6 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, I can agree. As much as I want to see Melville and Gee, it is more of an after-the-fact, out of contention type of look. I would rather see another start from Jorge, or a callup of Romero (who should've received one of these golden ticket double-header looksees, this is made for this type of thing).

And if you have a roster spot to add a guy, go ahead and do Gonsalves, if you HAVE to add him in the off-season anyways. You want to put your best stuff out there, and even at their worst, which you can't predict, a hard-throwing prospect can stink just as bad as AAA guys, but you have somewhere forward to go. AAA guys take a roster spot, have to spill thru waivers again (though at this late point they probably wouldn't be claimed).

Would I rather see Kepler or Rosario at DH and the speed of Granite in left or right? Hey, I want to see Garver catching if the pitcher IS an AAA call-up...maybe he has worked with the guy, yes, and if Garver is going to make this team it will be as the second catcher for now.

Which also brings up the point, play-off rosters need to be set September 1, so who shuffles in from the minors replacing someone not producing on the major league roster? Sure, you have some movement because of the names on the DL that can come back (Sano, Grossman, Mejia, Santiago). But that is a whole new can of worms that I do hope the Twins have to face.

I can wish, can't I?

Someone thought Gee and Melville could win in this important series. You have to respect their judgement. But, man, what a season this has been.

• caninatl04 likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#7 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

I can't wait until the play in game when we still have a 13 man pitching staff and a bench of Gimenez, Adrianza, and Escobar.

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie, KidBro and 1 other like this

#8 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

I can't wait until the play in game when we still have a 13 man pitching staff and a bench of Gimenez, Adrianza, and Escobar.

Are you talking about a possible wild card game or a possible game 163? As I recall from previous game 163s, it's an unlimited roster (well, 40 anyway).
  • WLFINN and caninatl04 like this

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Shame on the Twins front office for calling up Melville and starting Gee in this double header.

This would have been the perfect time to reward pitchers with an actual future for this club with starts.

im fine with Gee, but Melville, yeesh
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, bluechipper, LA VIkes Fan and 5 others like this

#10 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Gonsalves is a flyball pitcher who still is working on his command. Romero is on an innings limit. It is what it is. You can't create a pitching staff out of thin air, which is what a subset of posters on this board demand from the new front office.
  • Seth Stohs, BigSkyTwinsFan, Twins33 and 23 others like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#11 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

Are you talking about a possible wild card game or a possible game 163? As I recall from previous game 163s, it's an unlimited roster (well, 40 anyway).

The so-called Wild Card game.

Although if two teams have to battle it out to be the fifth team that will be great too. Real drama to determine who gets to play another game of manufactured drama.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Fun to think about what relievers we could stack our roster with for the wild card game. Or not so fun... Boshers? Turley? Melville?

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Gonsalves is a flyball pitcher who still is working on his command. Romero is on an innings limit. It is what it is. You can't create a pitching staff out of thin air, which is what a subset of posters on this board demand from the new front office.

I still think Romero should have gotten Jorge's spot starts, and if he looked good, we could have easily adjusted his July/August workload to potentially keep him available through September, perhaps for spots starts and pen duty.
  • Oldgoat_MN and KirbyDome89 like this

#14 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

Now understand, I object to these two guys BOTH starting today in a double header. I think it invites a potentially bad day W-L wise, as well as an overuse, potentially, of the bullpen.

I am also a huge fan and believer in Gonsalves. I can't wait for him to make his first appearance, and I truly believe he will be a keeper.

The team is on a roll and playing well. But with so many consecutive games to be played, and TWO double headers so close together, SOMEONE has to start these two games. Could Gonsalves have been one of them? Yes. But again, despite being a fan and believer, his very first start could also invite the same results. And for whatever reason...a somewhat different debate...the FO wants to give Gonsalves a little more AAA time. Do you pitch Slegers and/or someone else on short rest? Does that solve the problem? Gee has some ML experience and even some solid results here and there. He's also done well in his brief tenure with the Twins as a long man. Melville was a top prospect of the Royals a few years ago, and a top 100 prospect. He had TJ surgery and never seemed to find himself. For whatever reason, he seemed to again and the Twins gave him a shot. Only 27 still, he's been performing very well at Rochester the past couple of months. Has he done something to NOT warrant at least a look-see?

It's not an ideal situation to be sure. But I think it's one of those hard decisions you just have to make and hope it works out. Now, the first game didn't turn out so well, though the team battled back. AS of now, in the second game, they have a big early lead.

Slegers will be back. I would bet real money, despite not being a betting man, that Gonsalves will make an appearance yet this season, very possibly as a SP. And I feel Gibson's days as a SP may be numbered. But today is just a tough day with tough and imperfect decisions.
  • iTwins, BK432, pbrezeasap and 11 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#15 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

I still think Romero should have gotten Jorge's spot starts, and if he looked good, we could have easily adjusted his July/August workload to potentially keep him available through September, perhaps for spots starts and pen duty.

It certainly doesn't seem that way, based on how little he's pitching in AA. And considering his raw stuff, he really wasn't all that dominant in Chattanooga anyway. There is no reason to think he would be an upgrade over the AAAA options at this particular point in time, yet the Twins would be taking a risk with his development. That's the kind of idea that works great on a message board but is more problematic in real life.

• birdwatcher, ThejacKmp, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

It certainly doesn't seem that way, based on how little he's pitching in AA. And considering his raw stuff, he really wasn't all that dominant in Chattanooga anyway. There is no reason to think he would be an upgrade over the AAAA options at this particular point in time, yet the Twins would be taking a risk with his development. That's the kind of idea that works great on a message board but is more problematic in real life.

Did they risk Jorge's development?

Romero was pretty darn dominant in AA from late May to the beginning of August (up until his last 2 starts). 13 starts, over a K per inning, 1.40 ERA. Wouldn't have cost anything to take a look at him for those spot starts in early July. That's the kind of chance I think this team might regret passing on.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, KirbyDome89 and caninatl04 like this

#17 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

Did they risk Jorge's development?

Romero was pretty darn dominant in AA from late May to the beginning of August (up until his last 2 starts). 13 starts, over a K per inning, 1.40 ERA. Wouldn't have cost anything to take a look at him for those spot starts in early July. That's the kind of chance I think this team might regret passing on.

Well considering that Romero hasn't pitched many innings in a season, they might have known he was wearing down. Regardless, they know far more than you do about how he looked and whether he was in a position to bolster the MLB club. Jorge is overrated as a prospect, so the front office wasn't too concerned about moving him up and down a bit.

Even aside from the stark information asymmetry, the underlying logic you and others rely on is that Falvey actually prefers losing. Why else would he pass on obvious moves that even message board posters with zero personal knowledge are able to identify?

No amount of incompetence could explain it, since he could just read Twins Daily and be all set. No, that can't be it . . . I suppose he's still in the employ of Cleveland?

Edited by drivlikejehu, 21 August 2017 - 08:25 PM.

• Wizard11, flags and caninatl04 like this

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

I posted this elsewhere today, but perhaps Falvey was conservative because he didn't expect the Twins to be in this position. I mean, he basically admitted that at the trade deadline in regards to some MLB moves -- is it really that unreasonable that he also could have been overly conservative with minor leaguers too? Maybe they set their plan for Romero to be available for Chattanooga's playoffs, or only challenging Gonsalves at AAA once they had a good AA replacement ready to take his place (i.e. Littell and Thorpe).

#19 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

I think all the hand wringing and speculation is unwarranted. They needed someone to make a spot start. Melville has been pitching well for Rochester. He got a shot. Now he'll go back down. Gee, on the other hand, has pitched pretty well out of the bullpen. There's no reason to think he's incapable of keeping them in a game for 5 or 6 innings. I really think it's as simple as that. The despair over this is ... melodramatic.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, birdwatcher, BK432 and 19 others like this

#20 twinssporto

twinssporto

The yutes are gonna pull this off!

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Gee is pitching tonight as good as any starter all year.  Impressive!  Hope he gets another shot.

• Thrylos, bluechipper, jun and 4 others like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.