Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Go get Verlander

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
816 replies to this topic

#101 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,881 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

Purchasing a similar level talent will require somewhere around triple the money.  This ownership group simply isn't going to do that.  You've argued at length yourself that it simply isn't going to happen.

I also would much rather spend that kind of money on 2-3 years than 6-7.  Plus, the point is, Verlander hasn't declined a lot, and there's no reason to expect him to in the next couple years.

His war is 1/2 what it was last year in his age 33 season.To suggest there is no reason to expect he will continue to decline ignores one of the most consistently proven results in baseball.Aging pitchers, especially power pitchers decline, generally starting in the early 30s. You are also ignoring that we are talking about his age 35 & 36 seasons. 

It might take 168M to get a SP that produces at the level he is at this year but I doubt it will cost quite that much.It won't take nearly that much to get what he will produce if he declines at the expected rate with the expected rate defined as the normal degradation rate of all starting pitchers.Obviously he could defy the odds but good business decisions do not defy the odds.

It's also at bit misguided to say it costs 3 times as much even if the spend 3 times as much when you are comparing a 2-year contract to a 6 year contract.AAV is a more accurate representation although the 6 year contract does have more risk.

If Verlander's decline is "normal", he is probably worth 4-5 war over the next 2 years.Obviously, the prospects we trade could end up to be busts but I would bet they will yield considerably greater WAR over their 6 years of control.

Some fans fall in love with the idea of these big name guys hoping they defy the odds and remain great well past their prime.It does happen but the odds are he is no better than average over the next couple years.

Mid market teams don't get the absolute top FA SPs.It will always be very rare.However, next year has a rather good supply of FA SPs.We will also be in a good position the following year when Mauer, Santana, and Perkins come off the books.We will also be a year away from Hughes coming off if they have not already bought him out.That will be an enormous year for free agents.In other words, supply will be at an extreme high which will help make it feasible for us to land a top FA SP.The big markets teams will be chasing Bryce Harper, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, David Price, Jose Fernandez, Manny Machado, Jason Heyward, Dallas Keuchel, Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey.Mosat of the deals will be absolutely enormous.We can't compete on the $300M contracts but we should be able to get someone that projects to be at least as good as Verlander has been this year.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 21 August 2017 - 10:25 PM.

• alarp33 and RaymondLuxuryYacht like this

#102 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

A few things to keep in mind about Verlander outside the huge hurdle of his no-trade clause:

1. Do we have any indication the Tigers even care about shedding payroll?

2. If Verlander continues to pitch moderately well, his trade value actually increases as his contract winds down.

Yeah I'm skeptical about the Tigers requests. The Tigers need to rebuild, they very well may be more interested in prospects than getting money off the books.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all be screaming that the Twins need to eat the salary and get top end prospects. 

• markos likes this

#103 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

They traded 2 impending free agents. Wilson is arb eligible. If he remained a closer and got closer moneyhis trade could be about saving money.Had they traded Kinsler you could say they were dumping money. The issue would be definitive if there was a market for him. There have beenquotes about not adding further payroll. I don't think Avila can withstand another bad contract is more the issue than anything with that type of statement.Sanchez has been a money drain. Victor Martinez is becoming one. Zimmerman has been one. and Cabrera will be paid for a lot of past deeds for a long time. There are expensive contracts any team would love to shed.

It's entirely possible the Tigers are eager to shed payroll. It's also entirely possible they do not care. They ran the team at a loss for a long time. Until I see an indication they operate differently under new ownership, I will assume they'll continue doing what they've done for the past 10+ years.

And if they don't care about money, I suspect Verlander isn't even on the table for two reasons:

1. He's the face of the franchise and beloved in Detroit.

2. If he continues to pitch 110 ERA+ seasons, his trade value is higher 10 months from now. By keeping a fan favorite in town and paying him loads of money, they may actually improve the team in both the short- and long-term by holding on to Justin for now.

#104 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

Yeah I'm skeptical about the Tigers requests. The Tigers need to rebuild, they very well may be more interested in prospects than getting money off the books.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all be screaming that the Twins need to eat the salary and get top end prospects. 

Yep and yep. If I'm the Tigers and considering a Verlander trade, part of the deal is taking on a large portion of his salary for a better prospect return.

#105 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,294 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

One name I haven't seen mentioned, likely because he's equally unattainable (no trade to 21 teams) is Jeff Samardzijia.  

What would you prefer, Samardzijia (3 years, $59 million) or Verlander (2 years, $56 million).  

• markos likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#106 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

One name I haven't seen mentioned, likely because he's equally unattainable (no trade to 21 teams) is Jeff Samardzijia.

What would you prefer, Samardzijia (3 years, $59 million) or Verlander (2 years, $56 million).

I think no one mentions him because they don't want to spell his name. :)

I would prefer Verlander. Shark has basically been a ~2 bWAR pitcher his whole career except one season. Verlander has been better than that every year except one, and he should top 4 again this year.
  • USAFChief, markos, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#107 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

I remember hearing reports that Samardzijia made it clear to the Giants that he would not waive his no trade clause except maybe to a specific team or two, like the Cubs or Dodgers. 

#108 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,294 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I remember hearing reports that Samardzijia made it clear to the Giants that he would not waive his no trade clause except maybe to a specific team or two, like the Cubs or Dodgers. 

Yeah I read that as well.  I think its only 21 teams he has on his no trade, probably a certainty the Twins are one of those 21, but I'm not sure Verlander would be any more attainable or likely to waive his no trade to come here. 

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#109 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I'd stay the course.  We aren't going to win the WS this year, but it would be nice to make the playoffs even if for a game.  I think we have the team to do that along with the schedule to do that.

• RaymondLuxuryYacht and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#110 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

I think no one mentions him because they don't want to spell his name. :)

I would prefer Verlander. Shark has basically been a ~2 bWAR pitcher his whole career except one season. Verlander has been better than that every year except one, and he should top 4 again this year.

Agreed. Samardzidiaiaiajiaialol has always had a reputation he simply doesn't deserve. He's paid like a Cueto or Price or Verlander but just isn't good enough to warrant that price tag. Hell, he's a half-step below someone like Anibal Sanchez in his prime.

And this may be my imagination but he always struck me as something of a jerk.

#111 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Ya, just stop trying to get better. Just trust the prospects, or sign reclamation projects. Never change. Sigh.

I'd trade those prospects for someone like Archer, but not Verlander.I think that Verlander is a number 3 pitcher who will regress, because he is at that stage of this career.E. Santana-like. 

They do need to address pitching, but they need better than Verlander.They need at least one starter better than Berrios and another at that level.I am not sure that Verlander will be that in 2018-20...

Plus, I hate trading prospects who may amount to something within the division.

• alarp33 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#112 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,133 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

To tell you the truth, I'd rather see them go for something like 6/$60M (Yu Darvish's contract) to get Otani whose age is closer to that of the Twins' core players

• Sconnie and Major League Ready like this
-----

#113 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 869 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm really not understanding your argument. You want another Berrios on the staff because you think he is worth $200 million but also want to trade the prospects who are like Berrios but a year or two behind?

FWIW, I am not against making a trade for a pitcher at all.  I would not trade top prospects for Justin Verlander and this contract

hmmm, which twins pitching prospect is like Berrios?

#114 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 869 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

To tell you the truth, I'd rather see them go for something like 6/$60M (Yu Darvish's contract) to get Otani whose age is closer to that of the Twins' core players

Don't forget the $51.7 bid to buy the negotiating rights

#115 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,133 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Don't forget the $51.7 bid to buy the negotiating rights

I am not (thus the "something like").Still less annual contract value than Verlander, Samardzijia etc, plus the Twins will have the pre-prime and prime seasons, unlike the older pitchers

Edited by Thrylos, 22 August 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• Sconnie likes this
-----

#116 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,022 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Now you've done it. Got me all excited about shohei again and now I'm going to spend a whole day on YouTube instead of getting work done. Thanks a lot.
  • snepp and Oldgoat_MN like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#117 markos

markos

• 1,403 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

I am not (thus the "something like").Still less annual contract value than Verlander, Samardzijia etc, plus the Twins will have the pre-prime and prime seasons, unlike the older pitchers

The system has changed since Davish was signed. Otani is under the same hard cap rules that apply to young international signings from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc. He can't sign for anything close to the contract you suggested. I think he is staying in Japan until he is 25 and no longer under the hard-cap rules.

#118 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

Verlander has been a better pitcher in the AL than Shark in the NL as well as AL, for similar total contract, I'll taker Verlander

Verlander

2016  137 ERA+10 K9   2.3 BB9

2017  111 ERA + 9 K9 3.6 BB9

Career 122 ERA+ 8.5 K92.7 BB9

Shark

2016 105 ERA+ 7.4 K9  2.4  BB9

2017  88ERA+   9.2 K91.3 BB9

Career 96 ERA+  8.2 K9  2.7 BB9

• USAFChief likes this

#119 whydidnt

whydidnt

• 564 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Mid market teams don't get the absolute top FA SPs. It will always be very rare. However, next year has a rather good supply of FA SPs. We will also be in a good position the following year when Mauer, Santana, and Perkins come off the books. We will also be a year away from Hughes coming off if they have not already bought him out. That will be an enormous year for free agents. In other words, supply will be at an extreme high which will help make it feasible for us to land a top FA SP. The big markets teams will be chasing Bryce Harper, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, David Price, Jose Fernandez, Manny Machado, Jason Heyward, Dallas Keuchel, Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey. Mosat of the deals will be absolutely enormous. We can't compete on the $300M contracts but we should be able to get someone that projects to be at least as good as Verlander has been this year.

It's likely 1/2 these guys either re-sign or lose value because of injury or non-performance before they become free agents. That's just how the market works these days. I grow tired of hearing that the Twins can't compete for top-tier free agents. The truth is they can compete, but chose not to. They certainly can't sign 4-5 of these guys, but there isn't any reason they can't or shouldn't try to attract a top tier free agent from time to time.

Edited by whydidnt, 22 August 2017 - 07:57 PM.

• USAFChief likes this

#120 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,881 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

Obviously, he is not an established MLB player but this is the kind of creative approach that could help this team stay in serious contention for several years.I like it and the new CBA rules might make it possible for us to compete with the big markets.