Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Go get Verlander

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
816 replies to this topic

#601 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

A lot of people were pushing to get Darvish whatever it takes so.....

Verlander might have us at or near .500, but this team has so many holes and other things to be concerned about rather than a guy we weren't going to get anyay

• Carole Keller likes this

#602 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,277 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Meh, you're giving me too much credit. Carole knows I was very much on board trading for Verlander, Cole, frankly every legitimately good player that's been traded over the last couple of years.

I'm just frustrated that every year there are 'excuses', or 'reasons', depending how you want to think of it for not improving the MLB team through trades. When will the stars align where we can seriously consider making a trade such as this?

next year, promise.

• Vanimal46, Tomj14 and Nine of twelve like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#603 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

It's not time now and it wasn't time last August. We're not one piece away now, and we weren't one piece away last August. It is too costly now and it was too costly last August. The player doesn't want to come here now and he didn't want to come here last August. These are not excuses. These are reasons, and good ones.

Will it be time at some point in the future? Will we be one piece away at some point in the future? Will the cost be acceptable at some point in the future? Will the player want to come here at some point in the future? I truly hope so.

1. I completely don't understand the "we're not one player away" theory. You're trying to get better, and adding a better player does that. Add more than one better player. But you have to start somewhere. If you really could determine that you were one player away, you'd never get there anyway, since you wouldn't make the moves necessary to get to where you were one player away.

2. It was never too costly. Are we, or are we not, a major league team interested in competing for a WS. Or are we the Washington Generals, just around to give the real teams someone to play?

3. It's possible he would never have agreed to waive his no trade deal to come to Minnesota. But he said the same about Houston at first, too. My guess is, when push came to shove, he just wanted out of Detroit, and would have agreed to whatever deal the TIgers arrived at. Which is what ended up happening, by the way.

Verlander represented exactly the type trade a team looking to upgrade should be trying to find. A genuine difference maker, rarely available, but who circumstances had combined to make just so.

And while we can't be sure, I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't have coughed up that 3-0 lead in the AL Wild Card Game at Yankee Stadium. Which would have been worth the price, no matter the price.

• Mike Sixel and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#604 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Verlander wasn't going to waive his no trade clause to come to Minnesota.The team wasn't a true World Series contender and he was only going to go to waive his no trade clause to go to a team that was a true contender for a title.

These kind of hypothetical 'we should have done this move or that move' posts have no basis in reality.It would have never happened.No matter how sweet we made the offer, Verlander wouldn't have cared about that.He's not the Tigers GM, he's a player.A player who wouldn't have reaped any benefit from letting Detroit have the haul it would have taken. He wasn't going to come here no matter how sweet we made if for Detroit.And he certainly doesn't extend to stay here either, so it doesn't matter what he's done this year as an Astro either.

Of course, if our team was a true contender, we should have offered what it took cause that's what you do to get a true ace, but we weren't a true contender, so...

Edited by jimmer, 14 June 2018 - 05:24 AM.

• alarp33, TheLeviathan and Nine of twelve like this

#605 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

Verlander wasn't going to waive his no trade clause to come to Minnesota. The team wasn't a true World Series contender and he was only going to go to waive his no trade clause to go to a team that was a true contender for a title.

These kind of hypothetical 'we should have done this move or that move' posts have no basis in reality. It would have never happened. No matter how sweet we made the offer, Verlander wouldn't have cared about that. He wasn't going to come here no matter how sweet we made if for Detroit. And he certainly doesn't extend to stay here either, so it doesn't matter what he's done this year as an Astro either.

Verlander is on a contract through 2019. And was at the time of the trade. It wasn’t a half year rental. That was one of the attractions. He would still be a Twin.

The rest of your post is speculation.
  • Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#606 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

Verlander is on a contract through 2019. And was at the time of the trade. It wasn’t a half year rental. That was one of the attractions. He would still be a Twin.

The rest of your post is speculation.

This entire thread was speculation.I agree with those saying no chance Verlander was waiving his no trade clause to come here.  

• Carole Keller, Jerr, ThejacKmp and 3 others like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#607 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

This entire thread was speculation.I agree with those saying no chance Verlander was waiving his no trade clause to come here.  

Well, the entire thread except the part about needing an extenstion.

:)

#608 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

Chief, you also swore Plouffe would be better than Donaldson and that Tulo wouldn't "fall off a cliff".Hindsight can make us all look brilliant or foolish.(I was heavy on trading for Cole, but I also really wanted Alex Cobb.Just so I'm not exempt from it too)

We can all play the gotcha games.If the point is "The Twins should be more aggressive" - save it for the offseason, most of us agree.Using this as an example is just silly.You might as well suggest the Twins are fools for not having Buddha play catcher and Shiva pitch.

• Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller, alarp33 and 1 other like this

#609 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

Chief, you also swore Plouffe would be better than Donaldson and that Tulo wouldn't "fall off a cliff".Hindsight can make us all look brilliant or foolish.(I was heavy on trading for Cole, but I also really wanted Alex Cobb.Just so I'm not exempt from it too)

We can all play the gotcha games.If the point is "The Twins should be more aggressive" - save it for the offseason, most of us agree.Using this as an example is just silly.You might as well suggest the Twins are fools for not having Buddha play catcher and Shiva pitch.

Never mind that if we want to play the gotcha game, it turns out that this team needed JD Martinez, not Justin Verlander (or Yu Darvish).

Who called that before the season started? Certainly not me and certainly not anyone else I remember on this forum.

• Carole Keller, alarp33, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

#610 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Can we change the name of the thread to "Go get Machado"?

• Carole Keller and Twins33 like this

#611 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

OMG ... I would LOVE Machado. Never gonna happen but if I could choose anyone right now, he’d be IT!
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#612 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

Never mind that if we want to play the gotcha game, it turns out that this team needed JD Martinez, not Justin Verlander (or Yu Darvish).

Who called that before the season started? Certainly not me and certainly not anyone else I remember on this forum.

Trying Aybar, Sanchez, PinedaLynn and Morrison cost mote this year than signing Martinez to an offer better than Boston's . It would have been money better spent this year.

#613 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

If Baltimore accepts the kind of return Detroit got for Martinez it would be a doable trade.If they expect the kind of package the Yankees got for Chapman they will likely not get a deal done.

#614 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

OMG ... I would LOVE Machado. Never gonna happen but if I could choose anyone right now, he’d be IT!

The Twins have the prospects to complete that deal.

Can Falvine get him to buy into the future vision of the team where he resigns? Why not rent before you buy?

#615 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:13 AM

Didn't happen, won't happen, never will happen.

Letting go and moving on, is a good thing to do.....

;)   

Edited by Jerr, 14 June 2018 - 10:14 AM.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#616 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,277 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Didn't happen, won't happen, never will happen.
Letting go and moving on is a good thing to do;)

This specific trade, or ever trading legit prospects for stars? Because this reads like the realmuto thread....
  • Tomj14 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#617 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Trying Aybar, Sanchez, PinedaLynn and Morrison cost mote this year than signing Martinez to an offer better than Boston's . It would have been money better spent this year.

Martinez signed a $110 million contract.Aybar, Sanchez, Pineda, Lynn Morrison combined for around $30 million.I can't tell if you are just trolling or not, but obviously no one would look at only 1 year of a 5 year contract when discussing what Martinez got

Edited by alarp33, 14 June 2018 - 10:18 AM.

• SwainZag likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#618 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

Trying Aybar, Sanchez, Pineda Lynn and Morrison cost mote this year than signing Martinez to an offer better than Boston's . It would have been money better spent this year.

The only real money there is tied up in Morrison and Lynn, two last minute “aw, why not?” signings.

Never mind that neither has a monetary commitment past this season.
  • SwainZag likes this

#619 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,811 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

If we really want to get into this:

1) The trade would have been completed last year, when Verlander would have been more needed. He'd still be here today, by the way, and would be as big an upgrade as JD Martinez would be. And I'd wager a lot of money the Twins win that WC game if you hand Verlander a 3-0 lead in the top of the first. From there, who knows. The Twins would have been underdogs, but we all know that's not a death sentence in the post season.

2) Many of us asked for a RH hitting outfielder this past winter. JD Martinez was out there. I wouldn't have complained about signing him.:whacky028:

• Tomj14 likes this

#620 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

The Twins have the prospects to complete that deal.
Can Falvine get him to buy into the future vision of the team where he resigns? Why not rent before you buy?

Because the rental rate is absurd? We will have the ability to buy anything we want this offseason. If we don’t....that’s the time to light torches. This criticism has about as much validity as a thread about why Batman isn’t playing right field.
  • alarp33 likes this