Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Go get Verlander

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
816 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,460 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

http://www.espn.com/...astros-audition

Best possible combination of help in 2017 and help in the next couple years, right where the Twins need it, at a reasonable cost and not for the 6-7 years it'll take to get a similar pitcher over the winter.

Verlander isn't quite what he was, but he's still very good.

• diehardtwinsfan, Mike Frasier Law, PseudoSABR and 6 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#2 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

Agree, but what are you willing to give up to get him? And would he waive his no-trade clause to come to the Twins?

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Agree, but what are you willing to give up to get him? And would he waive his no-trade clause to come to the Twins?

I bet he'd waive his clause to go to a team with a chance of winning ... but I'd be more concerned in what we would have to give up. Of course you try ... but I'm not knowledgeable enough with our prospects to know what would be reasonable. And if he had the chance to go to Houston or the Twins? I'd pick Houston this year.

• wsnydes likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

Still think there's another two 200 IP seasons left in that arm. Still hitting 98 MPH after 100 pitches against the Dodgers. His FB velocity has actually improved 95.7 MPH this season, his best since 2011 after a gradual decline. 

• VirginSturgeon likes this

#5 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

I would love to have Verlander for the next 2 years but they haven't given many details on what prospects they expect and how much money they will eat.  I would like to know what the Tigers thoughts are and expectations for a return.  this team is really close and you would like to improve them for 2018 and 2019. That 28 million a year might be better than throwing 6 year contracts at Arrieta and Darvish for 20-25 million a year.

• Carole Keller, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#6 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

I don't like the level of risk inherently tied to a 35 year old with a $28MM salary.  Not sure I'd even want the risk of spending FA dough like that, much less having to give up prime prospects.

• Jerr, darin617, alarp33 and 5 others like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Not to troll Minnesotans, but if I were to play this situation out it in my head it might go like this.

Tigers GM: Justin, the Twins and Astros both want you but the Twins have given us the better offer. You're going to Minnesota!

Verlander: Well I want to win a WS and Houston is a better team, that's where I want to go.

Tigers GM: Sorry Justin, but that's not how it works, we have to do what's best for our organization.

Verlander: Tough, I won't waive my no-trade clause for the Twins. If you want to get rid of my salary and get a prospect or two, send me to Houston. If not, we can revisit this in the off season when plenty of other ideal destinations may present themselves.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Jerr and 9 others like this

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Not to troll Minnesotans, but if I were to play this situation out it in my head it might go like this.

Tigers GM: Justin, the Twins and Astros both want you but the Twins have given us the better offer. You're going to Minnesota!

Verlander: Well I want to win a WS and Houston is a better team, that's where I want to go.

Tigers GM: Sorry Justin, but that's not how it works, we have to do what's best for our organization.

Verlander: Tough, I won't waive my no-trade clause for the Twins. If you want to get rid of my salary and get a prospect or two, send me to Houston. If not, we can revisit this in the off season when plenty of other ideal destinations may present themselves.

Yup. I indicated that above that if I waived my no-trade clause, it would be for Houston before Minnesota ... but ... we'll see. And I'm not sure who I'd give up for him, either. They would probably want what anyone wants ... pitching prospects ... and I'm not sure we have those to give.

• bighat likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#9 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

I would give them Kohl Stewart, Lamonte Wade, and Alex Kiriloff for him? Maybe throw blankenhorn. Would that be enough?

#10 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Obviously it would be all about cost, but I would trust Verlander to give us a chance to win most games he started.

Don't know if Detroit would want all young players or start with Rosario & Romero.

Houston has inquired on Verlander multiple times. The Tiggers are asking a lot.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#11 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I don't like the level of risk inherently tied to a 35 year old with a $28MM salary.  Not sure I'd even want the risk of spending FA dough like that, much less having to give up prime prospects.

Bingo.It's short-sighted.Why on earth would you take on the last years of this type of contract and give up prospects.If you are going to spend the money associated with this type of SP, go get one next year that is 3-5 years younger and hold on to our prospects to boot.Don't spend $28M/yr and only get the years that they are very likely to decline.Go get someone still in their prime and keep the prospects.

Plus, Nicksavings is likely right about his willingness to waive his NT clause.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 21 August 2017 - 01:29 PM.

• DJSim22 and Danchat like this

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

I would imagine the Tigers would want Gordon and Gonsalves as a starting point but more would be needed. Not sure how money plays into all this but Detroit isn't just going to get rid of him and they are also trying to shed payroll.So the Twins (or Astros) would have to give up real talent and take on a lot of salary. Does that sound like a Pohlad move? 

• dgwills likes this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

I think I'd rather the Twins tried to get Matt Moore. He has two option years left. He's been horrible for SF this year and they want prospects. He's only 28 and has some history of being good but hasn't quite recovered from TJ years ago. He gets strike outs but gives up lots of hits.  He's a fly ball pitcher so I'm not sure how TF compares to SF's park but I suspect our OF defense would be an upgrade for him.

• matthew0211, curt1965 and bighat like this

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,460 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

Bingo.It's short-sighted.Why on earth would you take on the last years of this type of contract and give up prospects.If you are going to spend the money associated with this type of SP, go get one next year that is 3-5 years younger and hold on to our prospects to boot.Don't spend $28M/yr and only get the years that they are very likely to decline.Go get someone still in their prime and keep the prospects.

Plus, Nicksavings is likely right about his willingness to waive his NT clause.

Purchasing a similar level talent will require somewhere around triple the money.  This ownership group simply isn't going to do that.  You've argued at length yourself that it simply isn't going to happen.

I also would much rather spend that kind of money on 2-3 years than 6-7.  Plus, the point is, Verlander hasn't declined a lot, and there's no reason to expect him to in the next couple years.

• Oldgoat_MN and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#15 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

I would give them Kohl Stewart, Lamonte Wade, and Alex Kiriloff for him? Maybe throw blankenhorn. Would that be enough?

Substitute Romero for Stewart and you maybe get Detroit to think about it.  Still wouldn't be enough though

No thanks

Edited by alarp33, 21 August 2017 - 01:43 PM.

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

I think I'd rather the Twins tried to get Matt Moore. He has two option years left. He's been horrible for SF this year and they want prospects. He's only 28 and has some history of being good but hasn't quite recovered from TJ years ago. He gets strike outs but gives up lots of hits.  He's a fly ball pitcher so I'm not sure how TF compares to SF's park but I suspect our OF defense would be an upgrade for him.

Moore is the guy I would be interested in going after. I imagine cost wouldn't be *too* high.

Papers...business papers.

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

It bears reminding that not every prospect in our system will be a perennial All Star someday.

• USAFChief, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 5 others like this

#18 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Matt Moore hasn't been an above average pitcher since 2014.

I don't think 3 years is a small sample size.

Looks risky to me.

• Mike Sixel, Danchat, Pardon My Dinger and 1 other like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#19 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,460 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Substitute Romero for Stewart and you maybe get Detroit to think about it.  Still wouldn't be enough though

No thanks

If you take on the entire salary commitment it won't be this expensive in terms of prospects.  And that's the whole point.

• Blake, Siehbiscuit, Otwins and 6 others like this

#20 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Purchasing a similar level talent will require somewhere around triple the money.  This ownership group simply isn't going to do that.  You've argued at length yourself that it simply isn't going to happen.

I also would much rather spend that kind of money on 2-3 years than 6-7.  Plus, the point is, Verlander hasn't declined a lot, and there's no reason to expect him to in the next couple years.

46th in xFIP

31st in FIP

29th in ERA

Turning 35 before next season.  Triple the money for a similar talent??? They can spend the same amount of money over more years and get a similar talent

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007