Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rene Tosoni Outrighted to New Britain

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

To make room on the 40 man roster for Matt Carson, the Twins have outrighted Rene Tosoni to AA New Britain. That means that he cleared waivers.

Tosoni certainly has some talent. We saw that last year with the Twins when he was able to hit a few homers into the seats in Right-Centerfield in Target Field. Like Joe Benson, nothing has gone well for Tosoni this year. Started with a lacerated finger just a couple of games into the season that cost him a month. Then struggled upon his return. Then sent back to New Britain. Injuries and hitting just have hurt him this year.

I think he'll be OK. I think he'll get back... But, this is certainly a telling move.

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think he'll be OK. I think he'll get back.

I don't...he's just not that good.

#3 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

At least he cleared waivers. I didn't want to see him go. Time to see what Carson can do!
I bent my wookie...

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

That was the most sensible of the 5-6 moves the Twins could do to open a spot.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

He did just turn 26 last month. There is still hope for him. Too bad it was a lost season.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Tosoni and Benson have had seasons from Hades. The best thing for both of them will be the end of the season and being healthy.

I was thinking that the Twins were taking a "prospect" off the 40-man because they were lating as late as possible to officially make the move. The must have designated Tosoni on Tuesday.

Edited by stringer bell, 17 August 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#7 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Wonder if he'll resign as a 6yr FA. Rene is type of player Mn signs from outside the organization to play for Roc, so will they retain him as an internal option

#8 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Tosoni won't be in the majors with the Twins ever again. He'll become a AAA starting OF for the rest of his career, and at the best, he may get to be a backup in the majors. He's the future Matt Carson.

#9 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Tosoni is sitting here at AA looking for a job soon after getting 40-man roster money. He'll either stay with the Twins (doubtful) or have to go to the indy leagues to see if he can advance to an AAAA contract sometime next yar. Necause he is at AA, his chances of getting anything worthwhile are slim.

#10 kirbyelway

kirbyelway

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I wish I wasn't any good like him. It kills me when people are negative on a guy who has played MLB. He is better then I could have ever dreamed to be and better then the best players I ever played with. The worst player to ever make the big show is better then you ever were.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

The worst player to ever make the big show is better then you ever were.

That's pretty much true, but it does not mean that he is not the worst among his peers. And the best player to ever play baseball is much worst than the worst neurosurgeon in brain surgery. So what? Lets compare apples with apples and not apples with pineapples
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I wish I wasn't any good like him. It kills me when people are negative on a guy who has played MLB. He is better then I could have ever dreamed to be and better then the best players I ever played with. The worst player to ever make the big show is better then you ever were.

There has only been one comment in this thread so far that had someone saying he wasn't any good. I really don't see much negativity at all going on here, people are mostly saying they hope he can get back to where he once was... or just making predictions about the rest of his career.

The worst player to ever make the big show is better then you ever were? Speak for yourself... have you seen Nishioka take ground balls, take an at bat, or do anything at all on a baseball field?

#13 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

You have got to be kidding me with this! I wasn't comparing him to your average Joe. I was comparing him to other MAJOR LEAGUERS. This should go without saying.

Next time I form a negetive opinion about a baseball player, maybe I should finish it with..."oh but he's way better than me". Would that make you happy? Give me a break!

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I like my chances against Eddie Gaedel unless we are having a BB contest. Pretty sure half the posters on the site could do what Allan Travers did in his one appearance. http://www.baseball-...traveal01.shtml

It would be hard to put up those numbers pitching batting practice.

Edited by nicksaviking, 17 August 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

thats why I never criticize any movies/tv shows.....worst actor in any show is better than all of us, cause we've never acted either.
Could go all night with comparisons

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

I don't see him having a future in MN, and to be honest I'm not sure he's a big leaguer other than some teams AAA filler who will get an occasional chance to shine when someone goes down. He's blocked right now by Benson, Hicks, and Arcia and has guys chasing him in the lower minors too. I wish him best, but I don't see him getting any PT here.

#17 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

He is a 4th OF in AAA, but he has always hit RHP well in minors...before this yr, & can play all 3 OF spots.
He is our organizations version of Wilkin Ramirez/Matt Carson/Clete Thomas before they were released/traded.
Not sure if he's a FA after this yr...drafted in 05, didnt play in 06 (visa issues I believe???)
Too bad he lost large chunks of seasons to injuries in Ft Myers (playing great) & New Brit.....set him back from bein a real prospect IMO.
Personally, still like him but he has lots to re-prove. Hope he stays

#18 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

A rough season keeps getting rougher for Mr. Tosoni.