Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Diamondbacks 8-19 @ 6:10 PM CT

whine line game thread
  • Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,828 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

ANNND Welcome! To Minnesota Twins Whine Line on a Saturday! Normally there's a theme on this particular day, and I guess you could say the theme is random? Anyway, how NEAT was that game last night? The Twins square off again against the Diamondbacks tonight. Who knows, maybe this game will be good too! Before we get into randomness and debauchery, let's talk weather and lineups.....

It's going to be a beautiful day in Minneapolis! Partly sunny and 80 degrees at first pitch. Wind out of the SSW at 7 MPH... GOOD HR WEATHER as they say!

Minnesota Twins (61-59) 2nd WC holders:

P - Jose Berrios ® - 84 overall on MLB the Show!

Arizona Diamondbacks (67-55):

P - Zack Grienke - He's been RED hot... Winning 6 of his last 7 decisions

The Twins have been a thing of beauty lately, hitting tons of home runs in the process. You know what else is a thing of beauty? This video of Prince SHREDDING on his guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.... Let's jam out while talking about good things!

Sano's back?!: Everyone including their mothers were starting to worry about our lovable 3B Miguel Sano. Is he hurt? Is he just struggling? Does he have HR Derby HANGOVER? Well, my friends, you have NOTHING to worry about! If we look at his stats over the last 24 hours, he's hitting .750 with 2 HRs and 3 RBI! I'm no math wizard, but if we stretched that out over the next 42 games, he'll hit 84 more HRs!! Let's all wish for this achievement!

Destiny is in the Twins' Hands?: The Twins certainly did well in the first game of this series, and hopefully it continues! As far as the schedule the rest of the way, it's looking pretty favorable. 15 games left against the White Sox and Tigers, who are both out of the race. 7 more games left against the Royals. One series left against the Yankees. I think it's safe to say they have played through the toughest part of the schedule, and still in this somehow!

GREAT MN GET-TOGETHER: We're officially less than a week away from the Minnesota State Fair starting again! Which means we're ever so close to summer being over, the kiddos heading back to school, and more traffic on the roads :(. BUT, with the fair comes an opportunity to eat NEW FOOD! If I were up there, you best believe I would be trying the Double Dose of Pork Belly, Pizzarito, and Mini Sconuts!!

Meet the Parents: Normally you'll see me hosting this show all weekend, but I had to cut my stay by a day... I'm traveling with Miss Vanimal to meet her dad for the first time..... What are your memories of meeting your significant other's parents for the first time? I'll be sitting in the car notepad in hand for your advice!

Let's get a win Twins!

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 4 others like this

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,464 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

My first meeting with my future father in law:

I showed up at the front door and rang the bell. He opens the door, looks me up and down, and deadpans "Let me see your teeth."

True story.

I came to appreciate his sense of humor over time.

Anyhow, best of luck, Van. No pressure, but it's your entire future on the line this weekend.
  • glunn, Blake, big dog and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Will Garver ene lineup today??

#4 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Just be yourself. If he doesn't like you for you, he never will. But note that parents have this thing about their daughters ... no one is really, truly good enough. There, that should settle your nerves.

• USAFChief, Blake, Jerr and 2 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,828 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Just be yourself. If he doesn't like you for you, he never will. But note that parents have this thing about their daughters ... no one is really, truly good enough. There, that should settle your nerves.

Are you sure? I mean, I created a WWE wrestling show with baseball players in it, and owned a used car lot for a period of time too!
  • Blake likes this

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,858 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'd say "be yourself". I've got three daughters, now all married. My memory of all three future sons-in-law was "he's trying too hard". Eldest daughter's future hubby seemed to want to show me how smart he was (he's a college professor), middle daughter's beau tried hard to show his life didn't totally revolve around sports and the most recent son-in-law bought us a nice meal and drinks when I had made the arrangements and was ready to pick up the tab.

• USAFChief, Blake, Jerr and 1 other like this

#7 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Ohhh great, now we have relationship advice on the game thread :)  be interesting as I'm kinda in a quandry here with a younger great woman, kinda stuck in the "friends zone" by it seems to moving out of it.

Go Twins!!!!!

• Vanimal46 likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,828 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Ohhh great, now we have relationship advice on the game thread :) be interesting as I'm kinda in a quandry here with a younger great woman, kinda stuck in the "friends zone" by it seems to moving out of it.
Go Twins!!!!!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been friend zoned, I could take the year off traveling the world! I hope it works out for you Jerr.
  • Blake and Jerr like this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,828 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

I'd say "be yourself". I've got three daughters, now all married. My memory of all three future sons-in-law was "he's trying too hard". Eldest daughter's future hubby seemed to want to show me how smart he was (he's a college professor), middle daughter's beau tried hard to show his life didn't totally revolve around sports and the most recent son-in-law bought us a nice meal and drinks when I had made the arrangements and was ready to pick up the tab.

Miss Vanimal's parents were teachers (college statistics, high school science) so I've already eliminated showing off intelligence!

#10 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

If I had a dollar for every time I've been friend zoned, I could take the year off traveling the world! I hope it works out for you Jerr.

Ya, I've been there...and so there now, but i think I lose that friend (Best Friend Forever) if I get more serious and I can't afford losing that! I will relax/chill and enjoy a beautiful night here for another Twins Win Tonight!!!!

• Vanimal46 likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#11 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Ohhh great, now we have relationship advice on the game thread :)  be interesting as I'm kinda in a quandry here with a younger great woman, kinda stuck in the "friends zone" by it seems to moving out of it.

Go Twins!!!!!

It's not the first time ... but I think Van has been the only one to seek advice here. Or has Aggies also asked for advice?

• Vanimal46 likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#12 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

Nobody.

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

Trying not to try is harder than it looks...

Somehow this seems apropo here:

https://xkcd.com/1875/

#13 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

Nobody.

• Members
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

It's not the first time ... but I think Van has been the only one to seek advice here. Or has Aggies also asked for advice?

Not to mention there is cinematic precident for discussing relationships at baseball games...

At least i think there were a few such scenes in When Harry met Sally

Useful life lessons are where you find 'em.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#14 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

I don't remember the first time I met my wife's parents. It must have been uneventful.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Miss Vanimal's parents were teachers (college statistics, high school science) so I've already eliminated showing off intelligence!

As a parent, I require only two things for those who wish to marry my daughters: The ability to stay out of jail and the ability to hold down a steady job.

I tend to think if one is flaky when it comes to work, one is going to be flaky when it comes to a relationship.

Not that I have any personal knowledge of that or anything.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#16 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Meeting the parents, for me, wasn't a big deal. 

However, I cannot say the same when it came to meeting the sisters, nieces and nephews.

Something about favorite aunt might have had a little to do with my trepidation.

(I was actually asked that question by one of the sisters and the above was pretty much my answer. Yes, everyone laughed, though I'm sure they all knew I wasn't completely joking)

Edited by Blake, 19 August 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#17 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Not to mention there is cinematic precident for discussing relationships at baseball games...

At least i think there were a few such scenes in When Harry met Sally

Useful life lessons are where you find 'em.

There was the scene where the two male characters were at a football game and in the batting cages. I actually just watched this recently.

#18 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Dating advice is just as bad as math on a game thread.

• ChiTownTwinsFan and Vanimal46 like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#19 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Dating advice is just as bad as math on a game thread.

concur

#20 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,817 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

DIAMONDBACKS

David Peralta LF
A.J. Pollock CF
Jake Lamb 3B
Paul Goldschmidt 1B
J.D. Martinez RF
Daniel Descalso 2B
Brandon Drury DH
Ketel Marte SS
Jeff Mathis C

Zack Greinki P

TWINS

Brian Dozier 2B
Max Kepler RF
Joe Mauer 1B
Miguel Sano DH
Eddie Rosario LF
Eduardo Escobar 3B
Byron Buxton CF
Jorge Polanco SS
Jason Castro C

Jose Berrios P

Ummmm ... sigh ... still no Garver ... but where to slot him in the lineup when your outfield is doing well, Sano is DHing and both Esco and Polanco are hitting; I guess they don't want him catching Berrios.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whine line, game thread