And… we move onto the Diamondbacks, starting a 3-game series at Target Field tonight. This is some tough pitching back to back. The Indians are 3rd overall in team ERA at 3.63, The D-Backs are currently 2nd at 3.61… it’s called out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Things can sure change from year to year in this crazy game. Last year… Twins pitching was pretty bad yet only 29th overall in Team ERA with a 5.08 because the D-Backs came in dead last with a 5.09. That Arizona team looks like a distant memory now.
Also consider this… of the 10 teams with the worst records in 2016… 5 of them (Twins, D-Backs, Rays, Brewers and Angels) are either holding a playoff spot or within 3 games of a playoff spot at this moment.
Baseball teams are like eggs… they can suddenly produce a chicken on you. And… and… down the road… those chickens will lay an egg.
Or baseball teams are like chicken depending on your own personal philosophy.
Here are some things to think about:
1. Burnsville – With a population of 61,000 plus, Burnsville is a rather large bedroom community by Minnesota standards. To qualify as an official bedroom community, you must have nothing else to do but sleep and that fits Burnsville. Another way to qualify as an official bedroom community is to place the entire town inside a huge Ashley’s Furniture or Ikea store. To give you an example of how bedroom community-esque Burnsville is, in a town of 61,000, the largest employer is the school district. This means the residents produce a bunch of kids, send them off to school to be educated by a bunch of folks forced to stay behind while they get the hell out of town during daylight.
2. Our Twins – It’s fun looking at the AL Central leader and think about chasing them, but right now… I will admit to everyone that I’m more comfortable looking at the wild card group and thinking about remaining in that chase. There comes a point in every long distance race, when the runner in 7th place can see that 1, 2, 3 and 4 are so far ahead, that catching them will be real hard. So, finishing 5th becomes the new goal or the new 1st.
3. The D-Backs – The D-Backs were a horrible disappointment in 2016. I listened to MLB Radio religiously in the off-season and I read the pre-season articles from the experts… nobody was talking about the D-Backs in 2017 as a contender and here they are anyway. Maybe it’s that new manager, Torey Lovello, the same guy who finished runner-up for the Twins job in 2015. I look at it this way… Lovello finished runner up to Paul Molitor, that means that Paul has beaten him before and he can beat him again this weekend.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
Mauer: This guy is arguing with me on TwinsDaily.
Maddon: Are you arguing with him?
Mauer: I wouldn’t do that… you can’t win an argument on the internet. I’m just explaining why I’m right.
Montana: It’s pretty easy to start an argument on the internet.
Morgan: Yeah… just type something.
McCarthy: I didn’t need the internet to get into arguments back when I was alive. I got into arguments with people face to face every day. There were times when I realized that I was in the wrong argument and just kept arguing anyway.
Mauer: I just asked this Riverbrian guy if he was capable of making a logical argument and he replied that he doesn’t know what logical means.
Montana: That’s clever.
Mauer: Now he’s saying that 3 out of 2 people don’t understand logic.
Maddon: He’s using math now. It’s over, Joe… you just lost.
5. Shopping - My job is to get the groceries out of the car and bring them into the house. My wife went shopping yesterday and the entire back end of the Pacifica was filled with grocery bags. I looked at all those bags and wondered, "If I dislocated my shoulders, could I bring them all in with one trip?"
David Peralta LF
A.J. Pollock DH
Jake Lamb 3B
Paul Goldschmidt 1B
J.D. Martinez RF
Daniel Descalso 2B
Chris Iannetta C
Ketel Marte SS
Gregor Blanco CF
Zack Godley P
Brian Dozier 2B
Max Kepler RF
Joe Mauer 1B
Miguel Sano 3B
Eddie Rosario LF
Eduardo Escobar DH
Byron Buxton CF
Jorge Polanco SS
Jason Castro C
(no Garver sighting today )
Ervin Santana P
Weather: Mostly cloudy, but I think there won't be rain tonight, 73 deg F, winds at 5mph from the WNW. Please, weather, hold out ... no more double headers ...
Click here to view the article