Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Bullpen Ramblings

glen perkins trevor hildenberger matt belisle taylor rogers alan busenitz
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,784 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Side note: Good for Perkins to work this hard in his attempt. I think he's toast. And no matter what, his option will not be picked up. But what if he actually shows a little Something? We talk about a FA or two, a flier here and there, if he actually shows something, how about a 1 year prove it deal with some incentives to see if he can team with Rogers to form an effective LH duo?
  • Sconnie likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#42 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Side note: Good for Perkins to work this hard in his attempt. I think he's toast. And no matter what, his option will not be picked up. But what if he actually shows a little Something? We talk about a FA or two, a flier here and there, if he actually shows something, how about a 1 year prove it deal with some incentives to see if he can team with Rogers to form an effective LH duo?

Something wrong with Boshers filling that role possibly with O'Rourke as plan B or maybe Nik Turley? Boshers has been extremely effective vs LHB.

#43 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,784 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Something wrong with Boshers filling that role possibly with O'Rourke as plan B or maybe Nik Turley? Boshers has been extremely effective vs LHB.

Nope. Like most of what Boshers has done, really intrigued by the potential of Turley, but control still may be an issue. Was hopeful for Melotakis and Jay, but injury has slowed both. And there are some guys like Rosario and others that could come up. But right now, 2018-19, if Perkins actually shows something, I'd have to consider him on a 1 year.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#44 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,386 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

True. But at the time wasn't Nolasco the highest priced FA signed to date by the Twins?

thats still a low bar

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

If Perkins does come back, it sounds like Santiago could be removed from the 40 man by being placed on the 60 day DL. It wouldn't be an automatic season ender. Santiago has already been out 45 days.

#46 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

Waivers? I guess they might be able to get another team's Belisle...

If they pitch like Belisle has in the past 2 months, it's a great move. 

#47 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• 1,456 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

It's admirable of Perkins to get this far after a serious injury... But honestly, I don't know if I want to see him in a Twins uniform. Especially if they're playing meaningful games in September. 

I doubt he gets into any game that is not decided.  I assume he is mop up man.

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,984 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

I would hope so too. But he's never been a multi-inning mop up man. I guess he'd fill the role that Breslow had? 

#49 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Huh? Did I forget to add the "if they want" qualifier?

Levine practically apologized for being unable to complete a trade in the Strib last week.

The Twins “have placed a lot of [waiver] claims on players we think can help our team,” Levine said, but have not been able to negotiate a trade. “It’s not for lack of effort on our part,” he added. “We’ve already pivoted once in this process, and I think we demonstrated a willingness to respond to the way the team is performing. … We have the support of ownership to do it, and we’re going to continue to be creative and aggressive the rest of the season to help our team.”

Sounds like they want to add a player(s). I assume bullpen, but we can't say for sure I guess. In any case, its another reason to over-prepare before the season starts, because you can't necessarily swing a trade later, especially in August.

• USAFChief likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#50 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,359 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Great, so our 8 man pen is effectively 7.  

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#51 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like they want to add a player(s). I assume bullpen, but we can't say for sure I guess. In any case, its another reason to over-prepare before the season starts, because you can't necessarily swing a trade later, especially in August.

That was one of the things that bugged me in the Gleeman - Levine interview:

One of the things that hurt us this year, and this just speaks to having areas of the game and how you really just can't count on human beings, especially men—I mean, we're very unpredictable—is that we had a bunch of guys—Tyler Jay, J.T. Chargois, Nick Burdi, Jake Reed, Ryan O'Rourke, Trevor May—all of them got hurt. And those are six guys right there that, if I had to guess, come August 1, how many of them would be on our major-league staff of 12 guys? I would have probably told you five.

Counting on 5 of those 6 to be healthy and effective in MLB in 2017 never seemed realistic.

• Willihammer and Vanimal46 like this

#52 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,984 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

That was one of the things that bugged me in the Gleeman - Levine interview:

Counting on 5 of those 6 to be healthy and effective in MLB in 2017 never seemed realistic.

Agreed. Trevor May, and maybe Chargois since he had a cup of joe last year I could see. The rest were still unproven, raw, or in the case of O'Rourke, AAAA material. 

#53 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

I cringe at the thought of wasting innings on Perkins this year. Especially now. NO NO NO. Time for retirement. Only if and when the Twins are eliminated should he get the mound for old times' sake.

Edited by h2oface, 16 August 2017 - 02:48 PM.

• Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

#54 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Agreed. Trevor May, and maybe Chargois since he had a cup of joe last year I could see. The rest were still unproven, raw, or in the case of O'Rourke, AAAA material. 

Even May was hurt and ineffective for much of 2016, and Chargois missed two whole seasons and only had a month of effective MLB pitching on his resume.

And like I always say, you don't have to cut them. You can certainly hope they contribute. But planning on 5 of 6?  That's not bad luck, that's bad planning.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#55 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,426 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Yes YES so many talnted arms, and from the unexpected.

But, man, talk about having all your TOP prospects go down at once. What a bullpen that would make, if healthy.

'

Think the Twins are sitting pretty well. They do have to move on from the also rans, even in invites to spring training. The prospects should be equal to the Tonkins, Wimmers, Boshers, Presslys and Duffeys.

A whole new look for Twins pitching.

Now who is the rotation, what with May on rehab and Hughes probably gone. Berrios, Santana and whom?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#56 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

O'Rourke was one of the most effective loogys in MLB last year. LHB were 2 for 26 against him last year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glen perkins, trevor hildenberger, matt belisle, taylor rogers, alan busenitz