Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Trendspotting: Who's Hot, Who's Not?

eddie rosario byron buxton trevor hildenberger miguel sano jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 hybridbear

hybridbear

Realistic Member

• 487 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

The Grossman slump is concerning to me.

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

There's got to be better DH options than Grossman. Either get Vargas up here or Park. Or make a trade. 

I'd also prefer Vargas over Grossman as DH.I don't think that's gonna happen, though.

• caninatl04 likes this

#23 SirLoin

SirLoin

• 278 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

I'd prefer to see Granite getting the AB's against LHP rather than Grossman at this point.  Or even Garver (as a DH).  If they haven't already, I'd put Grossman on the waiver wire and see if anyone bites.

• Danchat and caninatl04 like this

#24 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,680 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

The radio crew was musing about acquiring Upton yesterday on the broadcast.  Aside from adding a couple more wins against Detroit just by subtracting him from their team, I kind of like the idea.  Chances are he opts out, so the Tigers could lose him for not much anyway after this year.  Seems like [pulls name out of a...er hat] Jermaine Palacios? could get it done.

No way he gets to the Twins, though.

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,392 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

I thought Granite handled himself well and would rather see him get turns in the outfield than Grossman, at this point.

But the Twins still don't have a bonifide DH. Vargas isn't cutting it. They won't give Park the opportunity (even with some open roster spots). Palka will have to surge at Rochester to get a September call-up. But they still lack that bat, and I don't want Escobar there.

Looks like Polanco might be coming alive.

Not sure what to make, or who to put, in the rotation. It was the bullpen getting lumps before. But that has settled down, and pretty much any name from the Rochester bullpen would add more sense to the pen. But who can you send out in the rotation? When Bartolo Colon is your best starter, something is amiss.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,667 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Couple quick hits:

1] Polanco should have been listed as trending hot.

2] Not concerned about Berrios in the long run due to his talent, what we have seen, and his previous ability to make adjustments. I think we are simply seeing the normal progression of a young pitcher.

3] Kepler's natural athletic ability, strength, quick hands and smooth stroke tells me he can hit LH at least to some degree, eventually. I still hesitate sitting him against such.

4] I like Grossman as a role player despite his recent slump. And I still see him as such for 2018. The problem is we need another DH/1B bat, via trade or FA. And if/when we get that, with 2 utility guys, it would leave Granite and Grossman fighting for a final spot. (Based on a normal 12 man pitching staff).
  • bluechipper likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

I'd prefer to see Granite getting the AB's against LHP rather than Grossman at this point.  Or even Garver (as a DH).  If they haven't already, I'd put Grossman on the waiver wire and see if anyone bites.

Just how "bad" would Garver be in LF?Rosario in RF?Just thinking about an "experiment" when facing LH Starters.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#28 birddog

birddog

• 280 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Love the fact that Twins are winning in spite of Sano's lack of production in HRs and RBIs. I was wondering if Rosario, Buxton, Polanco, Kepler, et al was the nucleus to compensate for our pitching--or lack thereof. This bodes very well for present and future. Hopefully Sano's hand is healed and he finds his power stroke and cuts down on his K rate so he can supplement the hot hitters. I think Moli has to take the brakes off Buxton once he is on base, especially with two outs. Even against lefties I think he has the speed to get to second on pickoffs if he takes off on first movement.

I, too, think Grossman not contributing  has to put him on waivers and I wonder how much longer we can keep a no glove, no bat backup catcher in Giminez. Garver must be called up sooner than September. Three passed balls in one inning is pathetic, even for a catcher who hits like Gary Sanchez. But for one hitting a buck ninety with no power, it has to be see you later.

My wish list is Garver and Granite replacing Grossman and Giminez. And Gonsalves and/or Fernando Romero to replace . . . well, take your pick. Tough to make changes when a team is hot--unless they are replacing players doing nothing.

#29 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Just how "bad" would Garver be in LF?Rosario in RF?Just thinking about an "experiment" when facing LH Starters.

I have no extra knowledge on Garver in the OF other than my assumption that it's not good. I think putting 3 good defensive outfielders in the game is more important than what Garver would bring to the plate.

• DJSim22 and Original Whizzinator like this

#30 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Dozier and Belisle should be on the hot list. 

We want Granite up again with his negative war?He can chase a ball down although you don't know where the throw will end up.Garver hasn't had an MLB at-bat, people need to relax.He's not even a top prospect. 

I have a crazy idea, let's wait 2 weeks and call up Granite and Garver and DFA no one giving us extra options! 

• caninatl04 likes this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

Dozier and Belisle should be on the hot list.

We want Granite up again with his negative war? He can chase a ball down although you don't know where the throw will end up. Garver hasn't had an MLB at-bat, people need to relax. He's not even a top prospect.

I have a crazy idea, let's wait 2 weeks and call up Granite and Garver and DFA no one giving us extra options!

Granite and Garver are both already on the 40 man. One could come up without a DFA. Would just need to go down to 12 pitchers.
  • DJSim22 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, byron buxton, trevor hildenberger, miguel sano, jose berrios