Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

A Shallow Dive into Twins' Position Players

defense
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm trying to catch up with the Twins after being too darn busy to catch more than a few innings most days. I took a few minutes on a cloudy Sunday morning to look at some statistics. It occurred to me that for the first time in quite a while, the Twins have a player at each position who could be considered a "regular", although calling Grossman the regular DH is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, I took the time to compare each Twins regular with the rest of the American League at their position using OPS and WAR as the two measuring sticks. Here are the results:

DH--Robbie Grossman6th in OPS, 3rd in WAR (11 qualified)

C--Jason Castro          10th in OPS, 4th in WAR(250 PAs, 13 qualified)

1B--Joe Mauer            8th in OPS, 5th in WAR  (12 qualified)

2B--Brian Dozier         5th in OPS, 6th in WAR  (15 qualified)

SS--Jorge Polanco    12th in OPS, 10th in WAR (250 PAs, 14 qualified)

3B--Miguel Sanó          5th in OPS, 7th in WAR  (15 qualified)

LF--Eddie Rosario        6th in OPS, 11th in WAR (13 qualified)

CF--Byron Buxton        18th in OPS, 8th in WAR (18 qualified)

RF--Max Kepler            10th in OPS, 6th in WAR (13 qualified)

My quick and dirty analysis: With the upticks in performance by Buxton and Polanco, there really aren't any "black holes" in the lineup, but there aren't really any All-Stars either, despite Sanó making the All-Star team in July. This is a group that will get better with experience (I'd consider five of the nine starters to be "young"). The Twins have a player at eight positions that is top half at their position in at least one of the two measures and every player has a positive WAR. The Twins problem IMHO is not position players.

• NoCryingInBaseball, DocBauer and mickeymental like this

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Good Analysis.Young players will only get better.Are not many veterans here except for C, 1B and 2B.This teams hitting should only get better as next year arrives.Will be fun to watch.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#3 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yeah I'd say it's pretty much only pitching that needs serious addressing this off season through free agency. There are a couple of in house options but it's pretty risky to place bets on rookie pitchers. So at least one good free agent starter and probably a bull pen option also, bull pen probably has more options coming up out of the organization over the next year or two, but right now the bullpen needs to be addressed.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Very interesting analysis. And you're absolutely right when looking at this lineup and how much better they are going to be. Between Sano, Polanco, Rosario, Buxton and Kepler, if I'm not mistaken, the oldest of them is 25. And before the season began, Rosario and Sano...the most seasoned of the bunch...had less than 800 ML AB.

Castro is not old. Dozier is not old. Only Mauer is a player that "must" be replaced in the next year or two. Guys like Escobar and Adrianza aren't exactly old in the tooth either, or Grossman for that matter. And now, or some time in 2018, we can start to figure in Granite, Garver, Gordon and perhaps Vielma and Palka.

Really, really like how the position player portion of this team is built, despite probably needing a quality DH/1B from somewhere. Still comes down to pitching and we all know this. The good news there would be a fair number of young arms getting so very close, and a couple already here.

Great write up!
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

There are 18 qualified CFers in the AL? How is that possible? Are some of them guys that play CF and also qualify at a corner?

Interesting that Rosario ranks so low. He's been easily the Twins best hitter since early May. Just goes to show how much offense other teams get from that spot.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Button didn't qualify so I set the number lower. That might explain the high number in the CF list. BTW, he looked like a different hitter in Detroit. Some really good at bats.

#7 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

All we need is a young Mourneau except righthanded.

Edited by Original Whizzinator, 13 August 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defense