Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Tigers, 8/12/17 @ 5:10 PM CT

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#261 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,784 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

I believed, then I didn't believe, then I believed, then I didn't believe again. I want to see them at least qualify for the playoffs. But yeah, 11 runs, 19 hits, recovered from a 5 run deficit, build a 5 run lead, only to lose. The extent of tonight's damage may not be known until tomorrow's result.

The bats, which had been missing, have been doing their job. Tonight, the pitching failed. Hopefully, it isn't a sign of things to come.

#262 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

No pitcher in their right mind is going to throw Sano a fastball ever again until he makes adjustments.

• glunn likes this

#263 Aggies7

Aggies7

How Do I Have 0 Warning Points?

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Can't keep using the bullpen the way it's been used. Too many short starts the last few days. The Twins needed a starter to give the bullpen a break but that didn't happen tonight. Darn it.

YES! 2 2/3 followed by 4 2/3 and then berrios tonight. Shocked to even be 2-1 when you get less than 10 IP out of 3 starters. Tough for a good bullpen, impossible for this one

Edited by Aggies7, 12 August 2017 - 07:57 PM.

• glunn, Blake, adorduan and 1 other like this

#264 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 400 posts

The bullpen was due for a spanking like this. It stings a bit more because the only good reliever on the roster was given away for nothing before the team was completely out of the race.

#265 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

No pitcher in their right mind is going to throw Sano a fastball ever again until he makes adjustments.

Yep. His inability to lay off that pitch is laughable at this point. Pedro Cerano

#266 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,804 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

That was my immediate thought. Gotta be a lot of guys feeling pretty busted tonight in the clubhouse.

I feel like that K by Sano in the top of the 9th was when the Twins went belly up.

This is where a guy like Dozier needs to earn his "clubhouse leader" title. If he's not in there making a speech right now, something is wrong. You can't expect the kids to recover from a situation like this without encouragement and the manager can't perform that role right now.
  • glunn, Blake, adorduan and 2 others like this

#267 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

YES! 2 2/3 followed by 4 2/3 and then berrios tonight. Shocked to even be 2-1 when you get less than 10 IP out of 3 starters. Tough for a good bullpen, impossible for this one

True, except when you plate 11 runs. Should be able to hang on to that one. Belisle just isn't a great choice in my opinion with his 87 MPH fastball when you have guys that are amped up to hammer the ball to win the game. Need someone who can get a guy to swing and miss a little
  • USAFChief and Blake like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#268 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

True, except when you plate 11 runs. Should be able to hang on to that one. Belisle just isn't a great choice in my opinion with his 87 MPH fastball when you have guys that are amped up to hammer the ball to win the game. Need someone who can get a guy to swing and miss a little

Yep, you should never lose when scoring 11 runs. But belisle isn't a closer and the matchup of him vs mahtook and upon was never going to have a positive result

#269 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,903 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Belisle was lucky to get through one hitter in the 8th. He had nothing, that was obvious. Molitor can't just send him out there anyway.
  • glunn, Blake and twinsnorth49 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#270 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Belisle was lucky to get through one hitter in the 8th. He had nothing, that was obvious. Molitor can't just send him out there anyway.

I still can't believe it tbh. 86-87, for 4 outs.....wtf?
  • USAFChief and bighat like this

#271 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

That was a helluva game. Would have been a great win, wound up being a tough loss. I'm not criticizing Sano, who got two hits on the night, nor the offense....which got 11 runs and came storming back from a 5-0 deficit.

Just one game, folks. Another game tomorrow, plus 45 more. That wasn't "the season" or anything like it. Twins are 6-1 in their last seven, can win a series in Detroit with the #1 pitcher going, and then get to host the division leaders starting Tuesday.

Keep the bats rolling tomorrow, and look for Ervin to step up.
  • glunn, Blake, SwainZag and 1 other like this

#272 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,784 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

I still can't believe it tbh. 86-87, for 4 outs.....wtf?

Had to go with the "experienced" hand out of the bullpen.

Hopefully, Belisle is on a short leash just like the starters.

• bighat likes this

#273 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Even though he's given up runs the past two games, I'd like to give Hildenberger a shot. If Pressly keeps pitching like this, maybe him, but I'm not quite a believer that he's "fixed" yet. 

#274 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

Even though he's given up runs the past two games, I'd like to give Hildenberger a shot. If Pressly keeps pitching like this, maybe him, but I'm not quite a believer that he's "fixed" yet.

The truth is that there isn't a single guy in the BP who looks like they could be an effective closer for a long stretch. I was all for the Kintzler trade in the beginning, but it's pretty obvious a 9th inning guy is going to be crucial to any playoff qualification. Just hope what we got for Brandon is worth it.
  • USAFChief, glunn and adorduan like this

#275 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,804 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

That was a helluva game. Would have been a great win, wound up being a tough loss. I'm not criticizing Sano, who got two hits on the night, nor the offense....which got 11 runs and came storming back from a 5-0 deficit.

We should criticize lots of people. The Twins were 4-5 with RISP and then went 1-13 afterwards.

This should have been an ass-kicking of epic proportions. Everyone failed after the sixth inning (and a few failed before that point *cough*Berrios*cough*).

• bighat likes this

#276 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:15 AM

I'd like to see them give Pressly a shot at closing, Belisle doesn't have the stuff to close, is ok for mid inning relief, but I don't think he is ideal in that situation. JMO

Either Pressly or Busenitz. I like the latter because he fires upper 90's heat on a downward plane to the lower corners, just what you want a closer to do. Both guys might succeed as a closer, but what we really need is a real closer, a guy that comes up through the minors as a closer. 

Baseball is easy. Just watch!