Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Royce Lewis Promoted To The Kernels

royce lewis joe mauer byron buxton joe benson chris parmelee
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

They do have a logjam at SS, if they decide to keep Lewis there.He and Javier cannot be in the same team and get enough reps at SS. And Javier seems to be a natural SS.  

Next season will be interesting to see based on those parameters.

Great marketing move to send him to Cedar Rapids (got to remember the issues the Twins have with the town of Elizabethton as well, even though those seem to be easing up a bit.) Folks will be out for their race towards the post-season.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

HOLY CRAP.

Seriously. That's amazing to see a prep player jump to A ball the year he's drafted.

At this rate, he could spend a significant portion of 2018 in the high minors.

High minors?? Heck, the Twins better deal Dozier this winter. Polanco will have to move over to 2B to make room for the teenager! Har!

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

About time we have a FO that moves the prospects aggressively. I love it. It helps take the lingering sting away from passing on Hunter Greene.

Edited by h2oface, 12 August 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• theJemmer and bighat like this

#24 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'll take a stab at arbitration. I have to side drjim on the AA and AAA being high minors. Sorry Brock.

Anyways, love the move. I'm confident in Falvine and am definitely excited about many of the ways they're running the org.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

About time we have a FO that moves the prospects aggressively. I love it. It helps take the lingering sting away from passing on Hunter Greene.

The Twins have moved prospects up quickly since Brad Steil took over when Jim Rantz retired 3-4 years ago. This is more aggressive than normal, more aggressive than we've seen for any pick in MLB in years. (Courtney Hawkins one example). 

Mauer, Buxton, Correa... none of them did this. 

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#26 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

4 for 4 tonight.

decent start.

• h2oface and Respy like this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I love it.

And I've always considered AA/AAA as high minors.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 12 August 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• Twins33 likes this

#28 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

I live in San Diego, so... If I ride my motorcycle 100 mph for 2,000 miles to Iowa, that's just a 20-hour ride! Figure a few days in the hospital, a little rehab, some jail time... I could watch Royce Lewis in his last game of the season!

If you really cut it loose up to 160 your drive time is only 12-1/2 hours.The jail time might be a bit longer, though. No predictions on the hospital stay. 

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Okay, listen. There are some interesting things being said here and we all applaud Lewis for the promotion and good game but

WE NEED A CLARIFICATION ON WHAT "HIGH MINORS" REALLY MEANS

• h2oface and MN_ExPat like this

#30 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

Okay, listen. There are some interesting things being said here and we all applaud Lewis for the promotion and good game but

High minors is AA and AAA. At any point those players can be called up to majors. A+ is close to major leagues but not quite high majors IMO. Opinion changed with Polanco and Pujols and view A+ as close but rare to be called up to majors. But could within a year. Under A+ and you're more than than 1 year away

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

High Minors: AA and AAA... 

Low Minors: High-A and Low-A.

Rookie Leagues: E-Town and GCL

• spinowner, MN_ExPat and Original Whizzinator like this

#32 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

Edited...

High minors: AA and AAA (and White Sox)

Agree otherwise.
  • h2oface, big dog, spinowner and 1 other like this

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

He'll point them out to you, but be cool dude, don't be that creepy old guy at the party.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1327.JPG
  • Taildragger8791 likes this

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

OK, A+ and AA are now covered. What about AA-? WE NEED A CLARIFICATION ON THE CLARIFICATION

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.-- Robert Louis Stevenson

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Missing:

1. single A, like the Midwest League. Low A aka A- aka short season A, like the NY-Penn league is lower than A and higher than high Rookie.For some reason people from teams that do not have A- leagues (like the Twins'), call single A leagues, "low" A leagues to contrast with "high A", but it is wrong.Just A.

2. Foreign rookie leagues, like DSL and VSL

Edited by Thrylos, 13 August 2017 - 05:53 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Wow. This is a surprise to me. Good luck to him

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

The Twins have moved prospects up quickly since Brad Steil took over when Jim Rantz retired 3-4 years ago. This is more aggressive than normal, more aggressive than we've seen for any pick in MLB in years. (Courtney Hawkins one example). 

To be fair, Lewis was a few months older when drafted than Correa, Lindor, Harper, Trout, Grichuk, Owings, etc. So them starting the next season at A ball wasn't that much different than Lewis getting promoted there now.  Not that Lewis is particularly old or anything.  A few lower round picks (Jon Singleton, Jake Bauers) seem to meet this criteria too.

Still, I'm glad to see it with Lewis!

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

With the playoff berth locked up, Cedar Rapids is guaranteed to play through September 7, and their playoffs could extend to September 21st or so if they advance to later rounds.

The GCL Twins could make their playoffs too, but their season ends earlier and the playoffs are much shorter.  Probably the longest it could go would be around September 7.

So I suspect this decision might involve lengthening his season, and getting him acclimated to the Midwest League before playoff time arrives.  Still, that should have benefits going into 2018 too -- maybe that promotion to high-A will come all the sooner?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#39 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

To be fair, Lewis was a few months older when drafted than Correa, Lindor, Harper, Trout, Grichuk, Owings, etc. So them starting the next season at A ball wasn't that much different than Lewis getting promoted there now.  Not that Lewis is particularly old or anything.  A few lower round picks (Jon Singleton, Jake Bauers) seem to meet this criteria too.

Still, I'm glad to see it with Lewis!

I don't think a few months in age makes that much of an impact for a kid that just turned 18 two months ago. I'd weight overall experience far more and they all had basically the same amount when entering pro ball. Having an entire professional offseason to develop, train, and mature prior to going to single A is a significant preparation advantage over a few months of age difference.

• Seth Stohs likes this

#40 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I like the asterisk you normally put in about signing dates...

Yes, Mauer hit .400 in his time at Elizabethton, but it was only 32 games. By contrast, Lewis already had played 36 games with the GCL Twins.

In addition, Mauer was far and away the best prospect/player on a really strong E-ton team that lost in the finals.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, joe mauer, byron buxton, joe benson, chris parmelee