Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Royce Lewis Promoted To The Kernels

royce lewis joe mauer byron buxton joe benson chris parmelee
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,171 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

The Cedar Rapids Kernels announced this morning that #1 overall pick Royce Lewis will join the team on Saturday.The Twins promoting Lewis to the Midwest League is something that hasn't been done in dozens of years, at least.

The last #1 overall pick, Joe Mauer, spent the 2001 season (his draft year) with Elizabethton before spending the entire 2002 season in the Midwest League.

Byron Buxton and Jose Berrios started their pro careers (2012) in the GCL, as Lewis has, before being promoted to Elizabethton.

Back in 2006, Chris Parmelee (first round) and Joe Benson (second round) began their pro careers in the GCL. When that season ended, they were promoted to the Kernels to play in their playoff series.

The Kernels will be in the 2017 playoffs thanks to their strong first half.

Lewis has been slumping of late, but few question his immense athleticism, talent and baseball acumen.

In 36 games in the GCL, 18-year-old Royce Lewis has hit .271/.390/.414 (.803) with six doubles, two triples and three home runs. He also has 15 stolen bases.

A month ago, GCL Twins manager Ramon Borrega told Pioneer Press's Mike Berardinothat he thought Lewis should be promoted directly to the Kernels.

“When I had Buxton, I said, ‘Why are we keeping this guy? He needs to go somewhere,’ ” Borrego said. “It’s the same thing with Lewis. It’s the same case. I said, ‘Hey, get ready to get him out of here.’ He’s been dominating the league. The way he’s been playing, you say, ‘Wow. This kid doesn’t need to be here.’ That kid’s ready to go play in CR right now.”

The timing, however, is interesting. In July, Lewis hit .321/.412/.464 (.877). However, in 33 at-bats so far in August, Lewis has just four hits. He's hit .121/.341/.182 (.523). As you can see, despite the lack of hits, he's still taking walks (9) and getting on base, and once he does that, he has the ability to steal a lot of bases.

This is definitely an aggressive move for the Twins, but Lewis seems to have the makeup. It will be fun to watch.

This continues an aggressive trend. Supplemental first-round pick Brent Rooker was promoted from Elizabethton to Ft. Myers a few weeks ago. Lewis becomes the fourth member of the 2017 Twins draft to join the Kernels. Fourth-round pick Charlie Barnes and eight-round pick Bryan Sammons, both left-handed pitchers, joined the Kernels in recent weeks. They are both in the Cedar Rapids rotation. Days after, infielder Jordan Gore was also called up to the Kernels.

By the way, have we mentioned that Cedar Rapids is just a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive from the Twin Cities?

Also, here is a first look of Kernels infielder Royce Lewis in his #30 uniform...

Click here to view the article
  • nicksaviking likes this

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat??

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#3 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Aww yeah! Keep crushing it Royce!
I get my opinions from media guides.

#4 nmcowboy

nmcowboy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Go Royce!  I like the move.

#5 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

This is outstanding news, and I'm glad it's happening already rather than waiting a couple more weeks. He has nothing more to prove.*

*This opinion may or may not be influenced by the fact that I have a business trip taking me to eastern Iowa, arriving on the 19th when the Kernels play Beloit.
  • Seth Stohs, Blake, LimestoneBaggy and 6 others like this

#6 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

I like that he'll be able to get a feel for the Midwest League this season, and that will put him in better position to dominate there next year.

#7 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

Yes, 20 minute drive for me.
  • Seth Stohs and nicksaviking like this

#8 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

A short change of locale. Get him under the wings of being against some older talent. He will return to Florida for the Fall Instructional League, I'm sure. 

Different roadtrips on the horizon. A stepping stone to maybe starting with the Kernels next year. After all, want to see Royce graduate out of the short-season teams if at all possible and not sit in Florida during the early months of 2018 playing piickup ball.

• bighat likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#9 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

Very nice.  I like seeing the young players moving up the ladder.  Lets concentrate on some of the talent that was here before the last draft too.

#10 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Royce Rolls... into Iowa.

That will be a test of his esteemed character.

• Seth Stohs likes this

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

A short change of locale. Get him under the wings of being against some older talent. He will return to Florida for the Fall Instructional League, I'm sure.

Different roadtrips on the horizon. A stepping stone to maybe starting with the Kernels next year. After all, want to see Royce graduate out of the short-season teams if at all possible and not sit in Florida during the early months of 2018 playing piickup ball.

Barring injury, 100% he starts at Cedar Rapids next year.
Papers...business papers.

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

This move got me thinking there is a small (but far from impossible) chance he could make the bigs by late 2019. Needs to avoid injury.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,669 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

HOLY CRAP.

Seriously. That's amazing to see a prep player jump to A ball the year he's drafted.

At this rate, he could spend a significant portion of 2018 in the high minors.
  • bighat likes this

#14 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

I live in San Diego, so... If I ride my motorcycle 100 mph for 2,000 miles to Iowa, that's just a 20-hour ride! Figure a few days in the hospital, a little rehab, some jail time... I could watch Royce Lewis in his last game of the season!

• ashburyjohn, Willihammer, Platoon and 3 others like this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

HOLY CRAP.

Seriously. That's amazing to see a prep player jump to A ball the year he's drafted.

At this rate, he could spend a significant portion of 2018 in the high minors.

Even at top, top performance/health he won't get out of Ft. Myers next year.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,549 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I live in San Diego, so... If I ride my motorcycle 100 mph for 2,000 miles to Iowa, that's just a 20-hour ride! Figure a few days in the hospital, a little rehab, some jail time... I could watch Royce Lewis in his last game of the season!

There's stoplights near the ballpark. You might just barely miss it.

• jimbo92107 and MN_ExPat like this

Why worry about tomorrow when today is so far off.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,669 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

As I understand it, everything from A+ upward is the high minors. If I'm wrong, I retract the statement. He won't make it higher than A+.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

As I understand it, everything from A+ upward is the high minors. If I'm wrong, I retract the statement. He won't make it higher than A+.

Could be my fault. I always took AA and AAA as high minors. Who can arbitrate this divisive issue?
  • Brock Beauchamp, Taildragger8791, bighat and 1 other like this

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,705 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

I agree with drjim as I too have always considered the "high minors" as AA and AAA.

I disagree with drjim that he won't get out of Ft Myers. Opening Day SS 2018 baby!
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Wow. Gonsalves and Lewis promoted in one week.

I like it - get them ready for 2018

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, joe mauer, byron buxton, joe benson, chris parmelee