Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Joe Mauer 2019 odds?

mauer falvey levine
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Not sure I get the hate for Sano at 3B. He's been very good over there. No need to move him anytime soon. This is coming from someone who saw him in A ball and thought he would never make it as a 3B.

So much more valuable at 3B. And you can always DH/1B him 40 games a year for defensive purposes. He's certainly a 120 game 3B for the next 3-5 years.

• Monkeypaws likes this

#22 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I really think it depends on Joe.  If he wants to keep playing it will be with the Twins.  I just can't see him at age 35 after spending 17 years in the Twins organization leaving to sign a 1 year deal somewhere else.

• brvama, Blackjack, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#23 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

How do the Pohlads feel about him(?)  Do they love him being the local hero or cringe because they're the ones signing his checks...

• Sconnie likes this

#24 IaFan1

IaFan1

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

If Mauer wants to play in 2019 he will be a Twin. Albeit at a significant home town discount. 

#25 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yes, I don't see him playing anywhere else if a deal does not get made.  I saw a post that somewhere implied he really did not care (the no heart argument), but I think it means a lot to him to be a Twin, and while he might not be doing what some people want him to be doing, I think his heart is still in the game and with the team.  He seems to enjoy being on the field.

If he does continue, it will be even more part time, so I don't think he will necessarily be blocking any talent, and it won't be a huge financial burden with whatever the new contract price will be.  While he is not the vocal leader that people want, I suspect he is still a pretty good example in the locker room (I am a homer that maybe foolishly gives him the benefit of the doubt of having a good work ethic, gets along with teammates etc) .  

I suspect he will be around one or two more years.  That said, it would not shock me if next year  was it due to a combination a deal not working out, his body telling him it is time to quit (who knows how his legs, knees, back etc. really are due to the years of catching), or his daughters reaching the age where he wants to see more of their activities.

Edited by D. Hocking, 12 August 2017 - 10:01 AM.

• Sconnie and SF Twins Fan like this

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,941 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

So much more valuable at 3B. And you can always DH/1B him 40 games a year for defensive purposes. He's certainly a 120 game 3B for the next 3-5 years.

maybe, hopefully, but he's a really big man to be diving all over the hot corner and expect to hold up over the season, especially as he gets closer to 30. He already has the rep to be good coming in on a ball, and not so good ranging to his sides.

I hope he can continue to defy logic, not so certain he will

#27 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

maybe, hopefully, but he's a really big man to be diving all over the hot corner and expect to hold up over the season, especially as he gets closer to 30. He already has the rep to be good coming in on a ball, and not so good ranging to his sides.

How is he defying logic?

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

If he does continue, it will be even more part time

A part time 1B is useless.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,203 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

How is he defying logic?

Yeah, I'm skeptical of Sano sticking at third for 5+ seasons but I'm not willing to write it off, either.

Athletes today are not comparable to athletes of the past. Look at your average NFL player. A modern cornerback looks like an old linebacker, a modern defensive lineman looks like an old offensive lineman, and modern offense linemen are no longer classified as human beings.

• lecroy24fan and brvama like this

#30 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

He's only 24 but that is an issue. I think he'll be fine til 28 or so though.

And again, he can always DH. we don't have one of those.

Edited by ThejacKmp, 12 August 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#31 Sconnie

Sconnie

• Members
  • 2,941 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

How is he defying logic?

fielding 3b well at 6'4" and 262 lbs defies logic

#32 Sconnie

Sconnie

• Members
  • 2,941 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

He's only 24 but that is an issue. I think he'll be fine til 28 or so though.

And again, he can always DH. we don't have one of those.

he can, but as you said, much more valuable at 3rd.

DHs come and go, don't really need to invest heavily. Rooker looks like he's on the fast track, between him, Sano and Mauer you've got first locked down for the foreseeable future, you might have a half season to full season gap between Mauer and Rooker, but FA stop gaps are available at first.

I really want Sano to stay at 3rd, but what if the rigors wear him down quickly? In a couple years maybe?

There's not much in the minors for the hot corner. You don't really see 3b change hands a lot. Stop gap types, sure, but the Josh Donaldson deal from Oakland to a Toronto was unique and Oakland got fleeced. I doubt the Twins could replicate Toronto's move.

#33 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

fielding 3b well at 6'4" and 262 lbs defies logic

Ah, that's where I got confused.  The idea that he's fielding well. 

Edited by jimmer, 12 August 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

I see a lot of speculation about Mauer being a future platoon or part time player.

In these days where a 3 man bench is the norm, the days of platoon or part time players is over. At least in the AL. There simply is no room on the roster for a guy to only play first against RHP.

#35 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.

Freeze at 3b and Sano at first<< Mauer and Sano

#36 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

1B seems like it would be one of the easiest positions to to acquire by free-agency.

I do appreciate Mauer's defense, but 5 HR and 45 RBI, .377 slugging, all pretty sub-par.

If it's just to have him break some team records, I'd say no thanks.

#37 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Will Diaz or Rooker be ready in two years? Probably not. 

Will Park be a guy to keep? You could. Maybe.

The Twins still need a DH and Mauer is NOT the name for that role, which will eventually go to Sano.

Contract is an issue. You can only resign for so much, right?

Unless you groom Kepler to play 1B (he did some last year, didn't he, at Lookouts land?)

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,203 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Moving Kepler back to first is a colossal waste of his athleticism.
  • ThejacKmp, Monkeypaws and SF Twins Fan like this

#39 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.

I have changed my tune on Sano. His defense has greatly improved at 3rd and not sure if the switch to 1st base would mess with his hitting.

#40 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

At first, I thought he meant Valencia.

Before I realized it was 3rd base related I thought he was talking about Paul Sorrento.

• ThejacKmp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mauer, falvey, levine