Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Joe Mauer 2019 odds?

mauer falvey levine
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

What are the odds that Joe Mauer will look to continue his career after his contract finally expires after 2018?

The reason I ask because the other night they showed that Kirby Puckett is the all time Twins hit leader with 2304 & currently Mauer is 383 behind. With Mauer never having a 200 hit season ever he would almost have to play through 2020 to pass Puckett.

I can't see the new FO wanting to even think about keeping him around even at a huge discount after 2018.

#2 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I think Kennys Vargas is the player that will dictate whether the Twins will even consider signing Mauer for 2019. I think he'll wind up playing with another team.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,989 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

I think he'll wind up playing with another team.

Vargas or Mauer?

#4 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

Vargas or Mauer?

Mauer.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#5 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

Vargas or Mauer?

Perhaps both.  Mauer for another MLB team, Vargas for a minor league team or maybe a softball team

• Sconnie and Hrbowski like this

#6 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

As things stand today, he would no doubt want to continue playing. I can't imagine there being much interest. 

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I think Kennys Vargas is the player that will dictate whether the Twins will even consider signing Mauer for 2019. I think he'll wind up playing with another team.

Vargas will be out of options next year. If Falvine valued what Vargas could provide over what Grossman provides as a DH, the Twins wouldn't keep sending him down.

Point being, the decision on Vargas will be made before Mauer's contract is up.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 11 August 2017 - 07:36 PM.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#8 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

He will retire. I don't foresee a Jeter style early announcement city to city gift fest however.

• Jerr, benchwarmerjim, spanman2 and 1 other like this

#9 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.
  • TNTwinsFan likes this

#10 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

He continually bats 3/4 - don't be surprised if he gets an extension.  I think he will continue to be a Twin for a few years. The price is the question. 

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.

They had that guy. They let him go. Remember?

He's doing terrible this year, but he's almost exactly a league average hitter for his career.

#12 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

A bit of power is expected at first base. Mauer has 5 home runs. The next closest player at the position has 13.

He will be 35 when his contract runs out. That's a good age to retire, especially for a player whose performance would have fallen off a cliff 5 years earlier.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 August 2017 - 08:42 PM.

• darin617 and KGB like this

#13 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

He's doing terrible this year, but he's almost exactly a league average hitter for his career.

I'm not sure of your point. A decision in 2017 to release one player who was getting expensive but on the downside and who was blocking a better player without another available position has nothing to do with putting a team together for 2019.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,926 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

switching Mauer and Sano might normalize some positional numbers, but it will change absolutely nothing on the Twins.

I'm fine with Mauer in a more reduced role. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't played any 3rd, as the main difference between the two is the need for a decent arm (which Mauer has). That flexibility would be nice, especially if the Twins had a better bat they could stick at first..

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,989 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

they didn't "let him go", he was traded for Mejia. the other Eduard is having a repectable/good season at .817 OPS in a similar role to the Eduardo who didn't get away as a utility player who plays most every day. 

Oh, you meant Trevor Plouffe...

28.9% k rate, .608 OPS, -3.6 UZR/150 at 3rd base

I'd take Joe Mauer over Plouffe

13.3% K rate, .745 OPS 10.8 UZR/150

• ChiTownTwinsFan, SF Twins Fan and bighat like this

#16 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

1.) The Twins have a real organizational dearth of MLB ready DH/1B types. Vargas, Palka and Byung Ho all don't seem to be in the long-term plans of the Twins at this point. Vargas seems the most likely but if this front office had any faith in Vargas, he'd have been on the team more consistently this year. Sano seems entrenched at 3B and Kepler isn't coming in from the OF. Robbie Grossman is a DH/OF but not a guy you hand the DH every day. After that, the only top 30 prospect at the position is Lewin Diaz and he's in low A ball. He's having a nice enough season but he's 3 years away if everything goes well. There's a lot of room at 1B/DH is my point - even if Vargas takes off he would likely DH. There's no internal option at 1B better than Joe.

2.) That means the Twins 1B in 2019 is likely to either be Mauer or come from outside the organization. I don't see the Twins spending big money in free agency (esp if they start locking down their young core) so the question becomes "Can you find someone better than Mauer when shopping at relative bargain prices?" I find that hard to believe, especially when you consider that Mauer still puts butts in seats in a way the James Loney types never could. Assuming Mauer is willing to take $5-$6 million a year for 2 years (I can't see him having much leverage, the only other place that makes sense for him is Tampa since he lives in FL?) he makes a lot of sense.

3.) The question then becomes, is Mauer good enough to be on the team? As others have pointed out, he’s not a prototypical first baseman, Not a lot of power. That said, he does bring things to the table. He’s become an elite defensive first baseman, particularly useful since the Twins have some subpar defensive options on the left side of the IF. His OBP is 40 points higher than average in total and eighty points higher against RHP. That’s a stat the Twins are short on. 1B isn’t where you usually get it but baseball isn’t a paint by numbers game. Mauer is definitely still a major leaguer.

4.) Mauer for the Twins in 2019 becomes more doable if you start thinking about a strict platoon. The Twins can either use Sano at 1B against lefties and put a better defender at 3B (they will likely have a surplus of SS at that point in time) or find the weak side of a platoon in free agency relatively cheaply (a Danny Valencia type who mashes left handed pitching isn’t going to cost more than $4 million). Either way, that gives you really nice 1B production for a fraction of the cost of a free agent stud.

5.) To me, the interesting part of the Mauer thing is going to be whether he wants to keep playing. He doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to chase records so that won't motivate him. He will have two daughters who are 4 years old so that will potentially pull him towards retirement. At the same time, he sat through a lot of bad Twins baseball and has to want to taste the upswing. He's never been a rah-rah leader so he'll be fine letting younger guys take the leading roles (has Joe Mauer ever wanted to do a postgame interview?). He seems to love the game and his body language playing is never down.

To answer the original question, assuming that Mauer wants to keep playing at the end of 2018, I put the odds of him being back with the Twins at 90%. He makes too much sense as part of a platoon for a 1B position that the Twins don't have a lot of other options for. He's not getting in the way of anyone's development, there's a ton of room at 1B/DH even if someone unforeseen comes into the organization, he's a big part of Twins history and his brother may be managing by 2019. There's no reason to think Mauer won't be a part of the team in 2019.

• messed up, bdodge22, Halsey Hall and 4 others like this

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,457 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

1.) The Twins have a real organizational dearth of MLB ready DH/1B types. 

Brent Rooker. He's already in A+ and holding his own with a ~.750 OPS. In 12 months, we'll have a much better idea what to do with Joe Mauer and his expiring contract. There's a decent chance Rooker is in Chattanooga by mid-2018 and his performance there could dictate how the Twins move forward.

Maybe Rooker isn't ready so the Twins retain Mauer. Maybe they find a stop-gap first baseman. Or maybe Rooker gets the call on Opening Day 2019. Lots to time to punt on this decision.

• brvama, beckmt, Danchat and 2 others like this

#18 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

Not sure I get the hate for Sano at 3B. He's been very good over there. No need to move him anytime soon. This is coming from someone who saw him in A ball and thought he would never make it as a 3B.

• Seth Stohs, darin617, Ryan Atkins and 9 others like this

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

they didn't "let him go", he was traded for Mejia. the other Eduard is having a repectable/good season at .817 OPS in a similar role to the Eduardo who didn't get away as a utility player who plays most every day. 

Oh, you meant Trevor Plouffe...

28.9% k rate, .608 OPS, -3.6 UZR/150 at 3rd base

I'd take Joe Mauer over Plouffe

13.3% K rate, .745 OPS 10.8 UZR/150

At first, I thought he meant Valencia.

• Sconnie likes this

#20 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

Brent Rooker. He's already in A+ and holding his own with a ~.750 OPS. In 12 months, we'll have a much better idea what to do with Joe Mauer and his expiring contract. There's a decent chance Rooker is in Chattanooga by mid-2018 and his performance there could dictate how the Twins move forward.

Maybe Rooker isn't ready so the Twins retain Mauer. Maybe they find a stop-gap first baseman. Or maybe Rooker gets the call on Opening Day 2019. Lots to time to punt on this decision.

I thought about that but (a) Rooker has mostly played OF for the Twins thus far. Maybe that changes, others likely know better than I but the Twins seem to be looking at him as a corner OF. (b.) Rooker is right handed. He might be a nice half of the platoon early in his career while getting some time as a 5th OF and part-time DH. 

Not sure that Rooker means you can't have Mauer unless he really takes off (.750 OPS isn't that) and needs to play every day. And even then there's DH/OF.

Edited by ThejacKmp, 12 August 2017 - 08:58 AM.

• AWOLNATION_11 and SF Twins Fan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mauer, falvey, levine