Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

The short leash and rookies

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

I have been having a REAL hard time with Molitors short leash on rookie pitchers. When I heard Enns was getting the call I wondered if he would get 3 innings in. We saw this with Mejia (and others) but I just don't believe a rookie should be pulled after giving up 2 runs in their first MLB game. this more than anything else he does makes me question Molitor. Explain to me why I'm wrong...

Edited by goulik, 11 August 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

Enns isn't good and Molitor wanted to win the game. Saved a lot of damage.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, jimbo92107 and 16 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

I'm not sure what to think. With the Twins suddenly back in it, winning the game is a bit more important than developing the rookie. On the other hand, selling last month says the team wants to develop younger talent. You won't know what Enns has when you don't let him deal with a bad jam.

Biggest problem to the quick hook, in my opinion, is taxing a pen that isn't that good. It certainly was encouraging to see Busenitz succeed, and I'd like to see more of that, but asking the pen to go 6 innings last night doesn't bode well for tonight.

• DJSim22, gil4, goulik and 3 others like this

#4 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

I'm not sure what to think. With the Twins suddenly back in it, winning the game is a bit more important than developing the rookie. On the other hand, selling last month says the team wants to develop younger talent. You won't know what Enns has when you don't let him deal with a bad jam.

Biggest problem to the quick hook, in my opinion, is taxing a pen that isn't that good. It certainly was encouraging to see Busenitz succeed, and I'd like to see more of that, but asking the pen to go 6 innings last night doesn't bode well for tonight.

We didn't use our long man or any of our top 3 relief options. Bullpen will be fine tonight
  • Seth Stohs, USAFChief, pbrezeasap and 10 others like this

#5 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

Enns isn't good and Molitor wanted to win the game. Saved a lot of damage.

How do we know this after 50 pitches?  I don't care if he threw 50 perfectly placed strikes and struck out everyone he faced in 50 pitches, you can't tell anything from that small of a sample.  That's not fair or reasonable.

You may be right in the end, but one outing is hardly a way to determine the viability of an MLB starter.

Edited by wsnydes, 11 August 2017 - 06:50 AM.

• Seth Stohs, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 10 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#6 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

I have been having a REAL hard time with Molitors short leash on rookie pitchers. When I heard Enns was getting the call I wondered if he would get 3 innings in. We saw this with Mejia (and others) but I just don't believe a rookie should be pulled after giving up 2 runs in their first MLB game. this more than anything else he does makes me question Molitor. Explain to me why I'm wrong...

Bases loaded, the command and control pitcher can't find the strike zone and you want to win the game.The short leash was created by the pitcher.Gibson has been pulled early multiple times. How many of the call ups this year did the game get away?Enough that the Twins are not in first place.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Kevin and 7 others like this

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

For his first cup of coffee, I'm okay with it. And as others said, the object was to win the game. Take no chances and stop the bleed before it's a gusher.
  • LA VIkes Fan, Dr. Evil, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

How do we know this after 50 pitches? I don't care if he threw 50 perfectly placed strikes and struck out everyone he faced in 50 pitches, you can't tell anything from that small of a sample. That's not fair or reasonable.

You may be right in the end, but one outing is hardly a way to determine the viability of an MLB starter.

He's not getting released, he is getting pulled from a game. Enns will have more opportunities to show he is better than the current scouting consensus. But in the meantime, we want to win games.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, BigSkyTwinsFan and 5 others like this

#9 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

He's not getting released, he is getting pulled from a game. Enns will have more opportunities to show he is better than the current scouting consensus. But in the meantime, we want to win games.

Where did I insinuate that?  I simply asked how another poster could conclude that "Enns isn't good" after only 50 pitches.

I didn't agree with the quick hook, but I at least understand the logic.  I just don't see how anyone can determine the viability of a player after such a small sample.  That is what I was questioning.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#10 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

We won, the second time through the lineup it was obvious that things had changed and I am fine with pulling him.

• Dr. Evil likes this

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

Where did I insinuate that? I simply asked how another poster could conclude that "Enns isn't good" after only 50 pitches.

I didn't agree with the quick hook, but I at least understand the logic. I just don't see how anyone can determine the viability of a player after such a small sample. That is what I was questioning.

You just did it again. Molitor isn't making any meaningful determination on Enns, he is just trying to win a single game. If Gardy had pinch hit for Kubel in that 2004 playoff game vs Rivera, it would have been because he was struggling and he wanted to win the game. You don't need to give players the biggest possible sample size every game.
  • Taildragger8791 likes this

#12 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

I understand the "don't let the game get away" part but he had also only allowed 2 runs and only one of those earned (because of his own error,) but it's a pattern that does not let pitchers develop and taxes the bullpen. Comparing it to Gibson who is a veteran is apples and oranges. I guess Mejia has made it through and maybe it's the right approach (get the kids feet wet and pull him before he gets crushed) I just would have liked to see the manager express some faith in the young kid and see how he rebounds from giving up his first walk as a major leaguer. It's not like he walked the bases full...

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I groaned when it happened but it wasn't a terrible decision. The Twins had that win nearly locked in if they get out of that inning.

And they did.

And it's not as if the bullpen has gotten much work lately. The win was more important than the starting pitcher. Enns will get another shot in five days.
  • BigSkyTwinsFan, Danchat, bluechipper and 5 others like this

#14 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

You just did it again. Molitor isn't making any meaningful determination on Enns, he is just trying to win a single game. If Gardy had pinch hit for Kubel in that 2004 playoff game vs Rivera, it would have been because he was struggling and he wanted to win the game. You don't need to give players the biggest possible sample size every game.

He didn't do it again, he was responding to and quoted Drjim above...
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap and 2 others like this

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

He didn't do it again, he was responding to and quoted Drjim above...

He said "I just don't see how anyone can determine the viability of a player after such a small sample." That's not what Molitor was doing last night, he was trying to win a game. Enns' viability will be determined by his full body of work.

#16 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

He said "I just don't see how anyone can determine the viability of a player after such a small sample." That's not what Molitor was doing last night, he was trying to win a game. Enns' viability will be determined by his full body of work.

Drjim Stated that Enns wasn't any good and Drjim was the one making the determination about viability... He is not sayin Molitor made that determination...
  • Mike Sixel, bluechipper, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#17 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Please reread my initial post and the post I was quoting.  I never said anything about Molitor.  Another poster said "Enns isn't good".  That's what I'm questioning.  Not Molitor.

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Did you all miss the near grand slam by Aguilar? Enns had enough evaluation opportunities for one night. :)
  • USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

I will let drjim speak for himself, but his determination is not final either. It's probably based on the fact that Enns is a lightly regarded 26 year old making his MLB debut. Not every player deserves equal leash in their MLB debut, or any game for that matter.
  • goulik likes this

#20 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

Did you all miss the near grand slam by Aguilar? Enns had enough evaluation opportunities for one night. :)

Guess I missed that...