The Twins begin a 3-game series against the Tigers in Motown riding a 5-game win streak. The Twins are in the forth portion of an extended back and forth.
The Twins are doing a little Tubthumbing it seems. Everybody sing, “I get knocked down… but I get up again… you are never gonna keep me down. I get knocked down… but I get up again… you are never gonna keep me down.” Those are the only lyrics that apply because the rest of the song is about getting drunk. Unless of course… the Twins are playing drunk and it’s helping.
That’s all I got… so… one more time… “I get knocked down… but I get up again… you are never gonna keep me down.
Here are some things to think about:
1. Detroit – There has been a lot of talk about the wall that Trump wants to build along the Mexico border, but I have another idea and it’s brilliant… (like usual)[sic]*. Try to follow along if you can. We never worry about Canadians sneaking into the U.S. and stealing all the good jobs. They used to try but when they crossed the border and ran into Detroit, they turned back immediately and ran back out because… it was Detroit and nobody would enter Detroit willingly. If they went to the East… there was Buffalo and once again… they turned back immediately. The Canadians stayed where they were and seem to be fairly happy now. So… obviously… in order to secure our southern border… we just need to build a massive Detroit and watch the conditions in Mexico seem better. A wall is a challenge to be overcome… a Detroit is nothing to strive for. Besides… it’s possible that a massive scale Detroit will cost less than a wall.
2. Our Twins – Am I surprised by this pleasant run of W’s? I am not and the reason I am not is… it’s baseball… Every team goes on a winning streak at some time and every team goes on the losing streak at some time. It happens to every single team… every single year. That’s right, Dodgers… you will go on a losing streak at some time. Playoffs would be ideal timing in my opinion.
3. The Tigers – I’m going to go ahead and make a prediction right now. The Tigers will continue their dismantling in the off season. They may have been dreaming of higher returns at the trade deadline, but that didn’t materialize. They may have been dreaming of trade partners willing to take on more of the fat contracts in their possession, but that didn’t happen, either. Now the Tigers have two choices… continue to spend insane amounts of money or try to get things under control and start rebuilding that pitiful farm system. The Tigers are on the hook already for 122 Million in 2018 with the contracts of Verlander, Cabrera, Upton, Zimmerman and Martinez alone. I’m betting that option #2 happens and AAAA roster filler will be lined up around the block trying to grab available 25-man slots in 2018. Shane Robinson’s agent is already making phone calls.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
McCarthy: What’ve ya got there, Joe.
Mauer: It’s one of those Google, self-driving cars.
Maddon: Detroit isn’t going to like that.
Mauer: I know… It’s taking me to the stadium tonight.
Morgan: Self-driving? Does that mean you drive it yourself?
Mauer: Take a look inside... no steering wheel and the back seats and front seats face each other. You just type in the location and the car takes me there while I play Angry Birds on my phone.
Montana: What’s that?
Mauer: It’s a “Feeling Lucky” button that takes you to someplace random. I pushed it once and it took me to a bathroom inside the Mall of America… on the 5th level.
McCarthy: Beach Boys songs are going to suck in that thing.
Maddon: How fast does it go?
Mauer: Not fast enough… I tried to drag race a guy in another one. It was a moderately paced tie.
5. Pregnant Women – I just happened to stop by the local YMCA yesterday. I walked past the pool and I noticed a very pregnant woman dive into the pool and start swimming. She seemed to do most of her swimming underwater; she’d go under water, surface, and then go down again. I couldn’t help thinking... she was basically a functional Submarine.
*[sic], as applied to the statement 'like usual' ... The Latin adverb sic ("thus"; "just as"; in full: sic erat scriptum, "thus was it written") inserted after a quoted word or passage indicates that the quoted matter has been transcribed exactly as found in the source text, complete with any erroneous or archaic spelling, surprising assertion, faulty reasoning, or other matter that might otherwise be taken as an error of transcription.
Brian Dozier 2B
Max Kepler RF
Joe Mauer 1B
Miguel Sano DH
Eddie Rosario LF
Eduardo Escobar 3B
Byron Buxton CF
Jorge Polanco SS
Jason Castro C
Kyle Gibson P
Ian Kinsler 2B
Mikie Mahtook CF
Justin Upton LF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Nick Castellanos 3B
Victor Martinez DH
James McCann C
Andrew Romine RF
Jose Iglesias SS
Anibel Sanchez P
Weather: 73 deg F, mostly cloudy, winds at 9mph from the W, and I think the rains have passed for today.
Click here to view the article