Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 7, MIL 2: 5 Alive!

byron buxton joe mauer miguel sano dietrich enns alan busenitz
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

I watched the game and I actually was hopeful about Enns. He looked relatively composed, actually did have some stuff, and was a huge improvement over the Nick Tepesch, Alan Wilks and Nick (?) Turleys of the world.  You could actually see him as a major league starter on a contending team if you squinted hard enough.. He will get a couple more starts because we have 14 games in 13 days starting next Tuesday so I think we'll have a good sense of how good he is pretty quickly.

The timing on Gonzalves is probably based on that same scheduling issue. We have a doubleheader against the White Sox on Monday the 21st  so we can bring a guy up for the day and send him back down without having to wait 10 days to bring him back up again. Gonzalves started last night so he would be roughly on schedule  to pitch on Monday the 21st. It would be fun to see him up pitching one game of the doubleheader.. 

• Doomtints likes this

#22 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

The schedule the rest of the month sets up for the Twins to make a run. 3 against Detroit this weekend, 3 against Cleveland and 3 against Arizona next week, then 8 of 11 against the White Sox to end the month with the other 3 being against the Blue Jays.

If the Twins win all of them, they could even be in first place.

#23 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

I don't think we saw the best of Enns but not sure of it.

There is a good pun in there somewhere, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

There is a good pun in there somewhere, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Not a pun guy and it may have been used before. Molitor could have left Enns in but he had a lead to protect so he pulled him.  Classic case of the Enns justifying the means.

• Puckett34, dgwills and Dave The Dastardly like this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

I watched the game and I actually was hopeful about Enns. He looked relatively composed, actually did have some stuff, and was a huge improvement over the Nick Tepesch, Alan Wilks and Nick (?) Turleys of the world. You could actually see him as a major league starter on a contending team if you squinted hard enough.. He will get a couple more starts because we have 14 games in 13 days starting next Tuesday so I think we'll have a good sense of how good he is pretty quickly.

The timing on Gonzalves is probably based on that same scheduling issue. We have a doubleheader against the White Sox on Monday the 21st so we can bring a guy up for the day and send him back down without having to wait 10 days to bring him back up again. Gonzalves started last night so he would be roughly on schedule to pitch on Monday the 21st. It would be fun to see him up pitching one game of the doubleheader..

I believe the 26th man has to be someone already on the 40 man. Of course, nothing prevents the Twins from adding Gonsalves to it prior to that date.

#26 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

I believe the 26th man has to be someone already on the 40 man. Of course, nothing prevents the Twins from adding Gonsalves to it prior to that date.

It would burn an option year and start his clock. I don't think they'd add anyone to the 40 or bring anyone like Romero or Gonsalves up before September for that reason. (Garver might fit this description as well.)

#27 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

It would burn an option year and start his clock. I don't think they'd add anyone to the 40 or bring anyone like Romero or Gonsalves up before September for that reason. (Garver might fit this description as well.)

I see the longer term value in it and for the sake of one start I think it better to wait. Will be disappointed if all three don't make the September call up. Does that burn an option.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

Calling up Romero or Garver right now would have no impact on options. It is only a problem for Gonsalves if he is sent back down.
Papers...business papers.

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Calling up Romero or Garver right now would have no impact on options. It is only a problem for Gonsalves if he is sent back down.

And as I understand it, it only burns an option if he is optioned out for more than 20 days.  I don't know when the Red Wings season is scheduled to end, but we are exactly 20 days from September 1.

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

And as I understand it, it only burns an option if he is optioned out for more than 20 days. I don't know when the Red Wings season is scheduled to end, but we are exactly 20 days from September 1.

Then he might be in business too.

I'm actually surprised Enns hasn't been sent down, would be a good time to bring up another bat. There are options, all better than Enns in my mind, for the next start in 8 days.
Papers...business papers.

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

True, but we're talking about a doubleheader game, which makes it likely he would be sent down.

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

True, but we're talking about a doubleheader game, which makes it likely he would be sent down.

But he could return on 9/1 and it would be less than 20 days, so it wouldn't burn an option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, joe mauer, miguel sano, dietrich enns, alan busenitz