Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: It's OK To Get Excited Again, Twins Fans!

brian dozier dietrich enns stephen gonsalves jorge polanco max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

You bet I'm excited. And not necessarily due to the playoffs themselves. My team is playing fun, competitive ball, they've been doing so most of the year and still are in August. They are coming together as a team, learning to play and win together and the future looks bright to me.

Win the WC spot or miss by a game, I'll still be happy, overall, with the journey to get there.

But win or rebuild? Why not both? Keep playing the kids, get more up here in September, but try to find another useful bat. Not sure if it's Vargas, Garver or whoever, but it would help. Otherwise, is ride with what we have, make internal adjustments as necessary.
  • pbrezeasap, brvama, PseudoSABR and 4 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#42 twinssporto

twinssporto

Falvey's Muse

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Yes, it is ok to be excited. Also, it is wise to have realistic expectations.

I'm excited!  At least we should have some fun baseball to watch through September...I'm keeping my expectations high.  It's just baseball anyway.  After the lousy 5 years of baseball here I'm enjoying the sunshine!

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#43 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'm watching again! And yes, if there is a Jay Bruce deal to be made, let's make it. Its kind of ironic that perhaps the easiest piece to fill, a DH, seems to be the hardest piece to fill for the Twins.

And I think the Twins' farm system has enough mediocre relievers that trading one wouldn't be the end of the world.

#44 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Directly related to being EXCITED . . . folks, believe it or not but I'm going to my first Twins game at Target Field ever next Friday the 18th against the Diamondbacks (I've lived in NY for the last 10 years and rarely go home to MN except in the winter for the holidays).Very excited, especially since it looks like Berrios might be lined up to pitch.Any specific recs of things to do/check out or food/beer to consumer while I'm there?Anyone else going to be at the game?

Cheers, NYTwinsFan.

• Brock Beauchamp and King like this

#45 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

Yes fans should be excited because the Twins are playing good ball.

More importantly the players seem excited, more so than I've seen in many years. It was so much fun watching Sano and Rosario with the others in the dugout as Colon batted last nite. The game should be fun. And what can I say about the pitcher,a perfect physical clone of myself, staring down the batters and saying, "Here, see if you get hit this one, sucker." These are attitudes that have been missing on the Twins and to me show a growing confidence needed for success.

I don't think the FO will do anything substantial unless it works for the future as well. Regardless I'm on for the ride.
  • mikeee, pbrezeasap and DocBauer like this

#46 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Clearly the the Twin's should buy some players and then sell them. It pisses off the players which makes them play better and you seem to gain assets. All it costs is some Pohlad money. This isn't rocket science.

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

You bet I'm excited. And not necessarily due to the playoffs themselves. My team is playing fun, competitive ball, they've been doing so most of the year and still are in August. They are coming together as a team, learning to play and win together and the future looks bright to me.

Win the WC spot or miss by a game, I'll still be happy, overall, with the journey to get there.

But win or rebuild? Why not both? Keep playing the kids, get more up here in September, but try to find another useful bat. Not sure if it's Vargas, Garver or whoever, but it would help. Otherwise, is ride with what we have, make internal adjustments as necessary.

Yes, all of this. I do not expect the Twins to make the postseason. But unless they tank the final 50 games, it should be fun to watch.

• brvama likes this

#48 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

I'm excited.

I don't think we really lsot anything in Garcia compared to what we gained.

Kintzler was not your ultimate closer. As we see, Belisle is perfectly able to do the same, and sure the Twins could patch together someone else in Hildenberger/Rogers/Pressly if push-came-to-trade.

I'll say this, it will help to sell tickets going into September, which is what the Twins have to do.

Will it save Molitor's job? Will Paul figure out the lineup? Will Buxton get above .250? Will Dozier hit more home runs than Sano?

How do you market this stuff?

And, seriously, what prospects do you bring up? The ones the Twins truly have to bring up are back-of-the-pen/bench types like Palka and Vielma to see if they should stay, and folks like Melville, Slegers, Hurlbut even Melotakis to see if you should consider keeping them in the organization in some way. Besides Reed, everyone else is still considered "sometime in 2018" or beyond.

What is still amazing is that the Twins have two 40-man roster spots open, that Colon is still a Twin, that Santiago may be coming back, and that Glen Perkins may re-emerge before September 1.

The bigger backup is happening in the minors where Gonsalves and Bard pushed Yohan Pino and Baxendale backwards. Go figure on that.

I'm not sure who they could truly add, unless they want to grab some big discarded contract when a guy goes thru a second time. But the more the win, the lesser chance they have of doing a decent waiver claim anyways.

Talk about a pleasant surprise and some overachieving. Now we have to figure out why the team is so horribly bad at times and what can be done to prevent that from happening. Where is Gibson?

• brvama likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#49 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

I think we know what's really going on here.

There are two cardboard cutouts of a naked Thad Levine and Derek Falvey with "You guys stink" captions in the Twins clubhouse right now.
  • USAFChief, Han Joelo, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#50 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

BTW, as of tonight, only 2.5 games separate six teams for the second AL wild card spot.

Yeah, you can say that none of them would stand a chance in a five game series against the Astros, and you'd probably be right. But like it or not, this is why MLB created the play in game. We are paying attention, as are fans of the other teams who might've just packed it in and forgot about baseball until next spring.

Edited by kydoty, 10 August 2017 - 10:32 PM.

• Dman likes this

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#51 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

How much could we get the Tigers to eat of  Verlander's contract? Or Zimmerman's? I see Zimmerman as a good buy low option if they would eat like half of it. Unlikely I know. 

#52 King

King

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Half of a game back!

pfQuqln.png

Edited by King, 10 August 2017 - 11:39 PM.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#53 TonyInOmaha

TonyInOmaha

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Looking at the AL Central schedules, the Twins definitely have the easiest road the rest of August, especially the last 2 weeks.

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,503 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

This schedule situation was the same at the deadline. Perhaps it should have been considered when decisions were being made.

Overreacting to a sweep by the Dodgers was not a good process.
Papers...business papers.

#55 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

This schedule situation was the same at the deadline. Perhaps it should have been considered when decisions were being made.

Overreacting to a sweep by the Dodgers was not a good process.

I don't think it was overreacting at all. The Twins played very poorly against the best teams in baseball at that point, teams they will have to beat in the playoffs and the WS, should they make it that far. While still not impossible, the probability was nudged in not getting there. Then they played poorly against the A's, a NOT good team. While maybe some of us hoped they'd stay the course of small buying to help, I don't think it was as egregious as overreacting. I am a firm believer in 'it ain't over til it's over' and have a lot of back and forth on their quick unloading of Garcia, but I can't exactly fault them either. And who knows, maybe it's that move that lit the fire of 'We'll show them!'
  • Dman likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#56 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,503 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

I don't think it was overreacting at all. The Twins played very poorly against the best teams in baseball at that point, teams they will have to beat in the playoffs and the WS, should they make it that far. While still not impossible, the probability was nudged in not getting there. Then they played poorly against the A's, a NOT good team. While maybe some of us hoped they'd stay the course of small buying to help, I don't think it was as egregious as overreacting. I am a firm believer in 'it ain't over til it's over' and have a lot of back and forth on their quick unloading of Garcia, but I can't exactly fault them either. And who knows, maybe it's that move that lit the fire of 'We'll show them!'

They played poorly against the As after the decision to sell was made. I don't think that was a coincidence.

After an inevitable mini slump the Twins have actually rebounded much stronger than I thought they would, so credit to them.

I also think it is a mistake to overvalue performance against specific teams you may face in the playoffs as a driver for decisions. Lots can change between now and then, such as, for example, making your own team better.
Papers...business papers.

#57 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

I see no reason to get any more excited than we probably were 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago, etc. We knew the team was in a funk, but not a collapse. We also knew that neither KC nor Cle were truly running away with it.  

There are a lot of games left to be played. Hopefully no one truly lost hope based on a small stretch of unexciting games.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 August 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#58 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

They played poorly against the As after the decision to sell was made. I don't think that was a coincidence.

After an inevitable mini slump the Twins have actually rebounded much stronger than I thought they would, so credit to them.

I also think it is a mistake to overvalue performance against specific teams you may face in the playoffs as a driver for decisions. Lots can change between now and then, such as, for example, making your own team better.

And I don't think playing well since then is a coincidence, either. It can go either way. And yes, credit to them. Something lit a fire and I am merely suggesting that if certain things can be called 'coincidental' to dampen spirits, I think they can be fire lighters, too. And I'm not over valuing ... I think I was very clear in being a believer in 'It ain't over 'til it's over ... but I think looking at those teams and looking at possibilities ... I just don't think it's the year to put all our eggs into one basket or another ... I don't think taking all factors into account, and that being but one, is over valuing that one tidbit when there is more that goes into such decisions.

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#59 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

I see no reason to get any more excited than we probably were 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago, etc. We knew the team was in a funk, but not a collapse. We also knew that neither KC nor Cle were truly running away with it.

I think it's entirely reasonable to be more excited now. Entering this past series, the Brewers had a better record than the Twins. It was reasonable to expect nothing better than a split, maybe a 3-1 series if things bounce the Twins' way.

But now they enter a reasonably easy stretch of play with a five game winning streak and poised to snatch one of the Wild Card spots. That's reason to be excited... I expected the Twins to tread water and finish in the 78-83 win range but now they have a legit shot at being a game or two better than that, which puts them in Wild Card territory.

Which means that the games will actually matter and we won't only be watching young player development for the rest of the season. That's reason to be a little excited.

• Dman and Doomtints like this

#60 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Whether we should have been buyers instead.
Whether we make the playoffs or not.
Whether we can hang with the Sox, Steps, and Dodgers if we do make it.
Im just happy we'll be playing meaningful games into September. Baby steps.
  • USAFChief likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, dietrich enns, stephen gonsalves, jorge polanco, max kepler