Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 4, MIL 0: Big Sexy With 7 Scoreless Lifts Twins Back to .500

bartolo colon brian dozier jorge polanco taylor rogers matt belisle
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

A fun game and great do win. I really enjoy watching Colon and all the fun he has out there. I've become a fan. And I'm sure Molitor really wanted to secure the win, but Belisle for the 9th with a 4 run lead and an 8 man bullpen that is rested just doesn't make sense to me.
  • brvama, LA VIkes Fan, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

A fun game and great do win. I really enjoy watching Colon and all the fun he has out there. I've become a fan. And I'm sure Molitor really wanted to secure the win, but Belisle for the 9th with a 4 run lead and an 8 man bullpen that is rested just doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect Molitor wants to ease Belisle into the closer's role as much as possible.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#23 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

I suspect Molitor wants to ease Belisle into the closer's role as much as possible.

I think they are auditioning Belisle for a possible Aug 31 waiver deal. a crap team isn't going to make a claim on him, so they might be able to sneak one more deal of a fungible reliever through...assuming that we don't keep winning! I mean, if Big Sexy keeps chucking it like this, the rotation starts working consistently into the 6th-7th innings, and the offense doesn't vanish into another collective funk...

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Poor Vargas.

giphy.gif

At least the operations team is VERY familiar booking flights for Vargas! They don't even have to ask for his driver's license number anymore. 

• Blake likes this

#25 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,470 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

At least the operations team is VERY familiar booking flights for Vargas! They don't even have to ask for his driver's license number anymore. 

If Vargas was getting the job done, Grossman would have been gone a while ago.

I still believe the FO was waiting for someone to step up and show they were ready. Hasn't happened, so we still have Mr. Grossman.

• brvama, LA VIkes Fan, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

I criticized the Vargas call up but now it looks like the FO was smarter than I am (no surprise there) and did a good thing. He can't come back for 10 days and I'm glad they didn't burn Garver for one day on the bench. Hopefully Garver can be the next man up.

Let's be honest. Vargas is the shuttle guy because the FO doesn't see a long term future for him with the team. He's got enough MLB experience to do the shuttle and he isn't a Twin next year unless he wants to come back on a split contract of some kind and spend most of the year in AAA. You hate to see  anybody jerked back and forth but he's the right guy for this job.  

• rghrbek and Vanimal46 like this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

I criticized the Vargas call up but now it looks like the FO was smarter than I am (no surprise there) and did a good thing. He can't come back for 10 days and I'm glad they didn't burn Garver for one day on the bench. Hopefully Garver can be the next man up.

Let's be honest. Vargas is the shuttle guy because the FO doesn't see a long term future for him with the team. He's got enough MLB experience to do the shuttle and he isn't a Twin next year unless he wants to come back on a split contract of some kind and spend most of the year in AAA. You hate to see  anybody jerked back and forth but he's the right guy for this job.  

Or, they could have decreased the RP list by 1, and still called up Garver and Vargas......what they did was not the only option.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

I agree with that, but they seem fixated on having 8 RPs even with the starting pitching starting to stabilize. I'm not sure if that's the FO or Molitor talking but they seem very reluctant to send any RP down and risk not being able to bring him back for 10 days, even Busenitz who never gets to pitch.  

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

So is it time to extend Bartolo?

• Mike Sixel and Dantes929 like this

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

We laugh, but we all have to admit that if Colon can pitch another year like he has since joining the Twins, he might be the best 4th/5th starter available in the organization for 2018....

• brvama and DocBauer like this

#31 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Anybody know what the elderly Colon is drinking? Find out so I can buy a case.

#32 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Twins still don't need 8 relievers. Not sure I see the logic of pushing everyone else back a day either. Why not just have Enns start Sunday? Instead of messing with the rhythm of one pitcher, the choice is to mess with 3?

I heard that today was Enns' scheduled start date for Rochester. I suspect that was a big factor in the decision.

#33 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

Small Sample Size. I predict he doesn't maintain this pace the rest of the way. (The .545 BABIP also looks unsustainable.)

Polanco has been choosing better pitches and driving the ball. His process at the plate looks good, and he's keeping the bat head cocked longer, so he's got good outward snap. Doesn't mean he'll go on an incredible tear for a month, but he's got his confidence back. The slump is over. 

• brvama likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#34 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

I guess Polanco's done grieving.

• USAFChief and brvama like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

The front office should offer him the Bobby Bonilla Special.

• snepp and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

If he keeps pitching like this, there would certainly be a lot worse 1 year contract offers. I'd prefer going big personally and trying to get a guy like Darvish, but if they want a 1 year guy, he would be a pretty good option if he's figured out the cause of his early season issues.

#37 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Anyone else remember when the Twins went 21-2 and only gained 2.5 games back in 2016.  

Last year? Are you sure?I just remember an uninterrupted string of misery last year. Was it 2015? 2006? 1988?

#38 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Looks like the old fat man can still pitch.

#39 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

I really enjoy watching him pitch.It's nice to see someone throw it right where they intend to most of the time.Let's see how he looks at the end of the year.A 1 year contract would be just fine with me if he looks anything like he did last night. 

• brvama likes this

#40 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Last year? Are you sure?I just remember an uninterrupted string of misery last year. Was it 2015? 2006? 1988?

Whoops.  2006. .

• gil4 likes this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bartolo colon, brian dozier, jorge polanco, taylor rogers, matt belisle