Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dietrich Enns to make his MLB debut

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

While I am not a huge fan of Colons I believe he has pitched better than Santana and Berrios the last few games.  If the Twins hang around the wild card race and he continues to pitch well I am fine with him pitching every 5th day.

Three games sucked, and 2 games good. Even with the Twins, he is down 3 games to 2. Seems he owes us a couple 3 more before I get excited. The first 13 games of his season don't just not happen, either. We (and he) got lucky a couple games is how I look at it so far. He certainly will be getting at least a couple more starts that I will not enjoy watching him, no matter what happens.

#62 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

Three games sucked, and 2 games good. Even with the Twins, he is down 3 games to 2. Seems he owes us a couple 3 more before I get excited. The first 13 games of his season don't just not happen, either. We (and he) got lucky a couple games is how I look at it so far. He certainly will be getting at least a couple more starts that I will not enjoy watching him, no matter what happens.

Yeah I totally get your point which is why I tried to save myself by saying if he continue's to pitch well and if the Twins are still in the wild card hunt.  I had already forgotten how many tough starts he had in the beginning.

I was impressed he went 9 innings and then pitching a 7 inning shutout, he kind of shut me up with those two games.  It just feels like maybe he has turned a corner.  We could certainly use him if he has.

• h2oface likes this

#63 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

If Dietrich does well, he could be a real catalyst...... the Ennsyme we have been looking for.

• Willihammer and big dog like this

#64 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Three games sucked, and 2 games good.

Uh, no. Here are Bartolo's games:

4.0 IP, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

5.1 IP, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

6.0 IP, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

9.0 IP, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

7.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

There's one legit bad start, one slightly bad/meh start, one acceptable start, one good start, one great start.

• glunn, SwainZag, dbminn and 1 other like this

#65 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Uh, no. Here are Bartolo's games:

4.0 IP, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

5.1 IP, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

6.0 IP, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

9.0 IP, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

7.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

There's one legit bad start, one slightly bad/meh start, one acceptable start, one good start, one great start.

You can say that

Game scores:33, 41, 45, 57, 71

but that 45 might be acceptable, might not... Average 49.4, which is league average pretty much.So he has been like a number 4 in a competitive team, which is not that bad compared to what the Twins have been trotting around in his place (and that includes Santiago.)

• h2oface and Sconnie like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#66 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Fingers crossed for another 7 Ip, 0 R performance, just like Colon did on Wennsday.
  • drjim and Dman like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#67 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

You can say that

Game scores:33, 41, 45, 57, 71

but that 45 might be acceptable, might not... Average 49.4, which is league average pretty much.So he has been like a number 4 in a competitive team, which is not that bad compared to what the Twins have been trotting around in his place (and that includes Santiago.)

In no way do I mean to say that Colon has been great but, as you said, he's been a serviceable #4 pitcher thus far. I didn't see it coming but he's been far from "terrible".

#68 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

You can say that
Game scores: 33, 41, 45, 57, 71
but that 45 might be acceptable, might not... Average 49.4, which is league average pretty much. So he has been like a number 4 in a competitive team, which is not that bad compared to what the Twins have been trotting around in his place (and that includes Santiago.)

It's that the Dick Bremer stat he tried to invent earlier this year? The Bremometer or whatever?

#69 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

It's that the Dick Bremer stat he tried to invent earlier this year? The Bremometer or whatever?

No, pitcher game scores have been listed in box scores for a long time now.

#70 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

The most logical candidate to get promoted, because he would give them the best probability to win.And he has outpitched fellow lefty Hector Santiago at AAA.

I hope that someone else takes Colon's spot on the rotation next.

What? Why would the Twins give up BIG SEXY'S spot in the rotation? If not for Colon where would the Twins be. The added bonus hopefully Colon & Santana can help the younger guys progress further.

#71 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

He took a lot of walks, that is helpful for a team that struggles with offensive consistency.

Still, he only had 3 XBH in July and for the year has fewer than Jason Castro and only one more than Jorge Polanco, both maligned for their offense and both of whom have significantly fewer at bats. Offensively Mauer and Grossman are basically the same guy, I don't think both need to be regulars at this point.

Grossman is a poor man's Mauer. I'm not suggesting that Vargas replace Mauer. But he should be up here playing 1B 1-2 times per week and and DH'ing 3-4 times per week. Mauer plays better when he gets 1-2 days/week off and Grossman shouldn't be playing every day. We don't need a DH who hits .240 with no power, no matter how many walks he draws. 

Demanding to have 8 pitchers and having a 3-man bench with 2 back-up SS's blows. I'm glad Polanco is back but unless they're willing to cut bait with Adrianza (or Grossman), they need to find a way to make do with 7 in the bullpen. 

Edited by howeda7, 10 August 2017 - 10:34 PM.

• USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

#72 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

So in his 3rd start when he went 6 1/3 with 3 ER against Oakland that 'sucked'? Give me a break. Overall, Colon has been far better than any of the #5's we've trotted out and frankly better than Santiago post May 1st and Gibson. And I find it fascinating to watch him pitch. I don't get the bitterness. 

Edited by howeda7, 10 August 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#73 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Fingers crossed for another 7 Ip, 0 R performance, just like Colon did on Wennsday.

That joke is just too ennticing for you.
  • h2oface and Willihammer like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#74 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

The correct call last night was "A smash to Sano....steps on third....fires across...that Enns the threat!"
  • glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco and wsnydes like this

#75 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

That's an old Bill James measurement.Here.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#76 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

All distractions aside, Enns was decent his first time out. One bad inning. When he was done, he was done, but this was a good effort to build from.

• glunn likes this

#77 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

All distractions aside, Enns was decent his first time out. One bad inning. When he was done, he was done, but this was a good effort to build from.

Very good location on his fastball which is encouraging.He will need to have much better command of his breaking ball.From the little we saw of him last night, I think he will need a good change-up to be effective at the MLB level and he did not show that last night. 

• glunn and Doomtints like this