Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dietrich Enns to make his MLB debut

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

For me there have been so many bad debut starts it is hard to get too excited.  I hope he does well and his numbers look good but so did Berrios and he didn't off that well.  I want to be over the moon excited but like I said recent history has me skepticle.

I'm fully prepared for both Enns of the spectrum

Edited by amjgt, 10 August 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, glunn and 11 others like this

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

Joe had a pretty good month in July, I would be more willing to call 8 games in August a mini-slump rather than being worn down.  The BABIP of .120 won't stay that low. 

He took a lot of walks, that is helpful for a team that struggles with offensive consistency.

Still, he only had 3 XBH in July and for the year has fewer than Jason Castro and only one more than Jorge Polanco, both maligned for their offense and both of whom have significantly fewer at bats. Offensively Mauer and Grossman are basically the same guy, I don't think both need to be regulars at this point.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, h2oface and 2 others like this

#43 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Administrators
  • 964 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

I like that they adjusted the rotation to have Enns go tonight, instead of in Mejia's usual spot. Detroit has the best OPS vs. LHP in all of baseball at .841. The Brewers are 12th at .752.

• Puckett34, nicksaviking and bluechipper like this

#44 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

All we do is read about these guys so absolutely it is fun to see the debut.  May and Berrios were fun to see because we got to see what kind of stuff they had and whether it was something to look forward to.  Both could have debuted better but for nerves and not everyone has the same response to those nerves.

• bluechipper likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#45 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

He took a lot of walks, that is helpful for a team that struggles with offensive consistency.

Still, he only had 3 XBH in July and for the year has fewer than Jason Castro and only one more than Jorge Polanco, both maligned for their offense and both of whom have significantly fewer at bats. Offensively Mauer and Grossman are basically the same guy, I don't think both need to be regulars at this point.

Look, Mauer isn't my favorite guy either but he gets on base. He's a heck of a better alternative than Vargas. 

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Look, Mauer isn't my favorite guy either but he gets on base. He's a heck of a better alternative than Vargas. 

Vargas wasn't even mentioned in that post. 

Mauer is not good compared to other 1B in the majors. He seems to wear out too, but that could just be anecdote, not sure. Walks are better than outs, but they aren't nearly as good as hits or extra base hits. Not all OBP is created equal. It's why you have to look at all the stats.

• Danchat and Taildragger8791 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#47 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Joe has carried us in the past, I think there is a good chance he will again.

...this year he has?

#48 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Joe had a pretty good month in July, I would be more willing to call 8 games in August a mini-slump rather than being worn down.  The BABIP of .120 won't stay that low. 

Slashing .250/.368/.350 is a pretty good month for a first baseman? 

• USAFChief, h2oface and Danchat like this

#49 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Vargas wasn't even mentioned in that post. 

Context, dude, context.

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Is the the be all and Enns all of pitching? 

• Puckett34, h2oface and FunnyPenguin like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#51 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

This should probably become it's own thread but Mauer is still probably our best option at first base. Yes, his power is bad but that slash line is probably better than anything Vargas (the only obvious replacement on the 40 man roster) could do.

So we have these choices:

1) Play Mauer as we have been with occasional off days and shuffling line ups as we have been.

2) Play Vargas more (I think this is a bad idea)

3) Add Park to the 40 man roster and see if he can play 1B. (I like this idea more than #2).

4) Make a trade. Obviously, it depends on price but I'm not sure I want the Twins trading off prospects at this point.

5) Move Sano to first base and insert Escobar at third. 

I don't know if they have other realistic ideas. Kepler played a lot of first in the minors and bring up Granite for a corner spot? See if Grossman can play first and bring up Vargas/Park to DH? Ugh.

• Mike Sixel, SwainZag, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

#52 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

His Player's Weekend jersey should have "NNNNN" on the back. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#53 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

This should probably become it's own thread but Mauer is still probably our best option at first base. Yes, his power is bad but that slash line is probably better than anything Vargas (the only obvious replacement on the 40 man roster) could do.

So we have these choices:

1) Play Mauer as we have been with occasional off days and shuffling line ups as we have been.

2) Play Vargas more (I think this is a bad idea)

3) Add Park to the 40 man roster and see if he can play 1B. (I like this idea more than #2).

4) Make a trade. Obviously, it depends on price but I'm not sure I want the Twins trading off prospects at this point.

5) Move Sano to first base and insert Escobar at third. 

I don't know if they have other realistic ideas. Kepler played a lot of first in the minors and bring up Granite for a corner spot? See if Grossman can play first and bring up Vargas/Park to DH? Ugh.

I agree Mauer is the best we've got at 1B for now, and he's not a liability by any means, but I think some people really undersell how ineffectual he is. We've lowered our standards to what we call "good" play at 1B. Watching the bottom of the order get on base and the top of the order repeatedly do nothing about it is pretty darn frustrating. Continuing the status quo 4 months into the season is just punting on the problem.

The options aren't great but I'd like to see the baseball professionals use a little creativity to find a solution. Maybe work out a platoon split, although Mauer and Vargas have both been much worse against lefties. Garver eats up lefties, maybe getting him up here offers some flexibility. Something has to be tried, because to this point they've made no attempt to try something new to create actual offense at 1B/DH.

• Mike Sixel and h2oface like this

#54 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

If Enns comes out and makes a nice 6-7 inning start, he's going to make the Yankees look kinda foolish especially after Garcia's bad last start.

Maybe they felt sorry for us after trading Hicks for Murphy.

• h2oface and FunnyPenguin like this

#55 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,131 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

I happy to see Enns and wish him the best. I'm excited. 

I am sad to see Vargas sent back down. We need more power so in my mind either Vargas or Park is necessary.

I'd be more inclined to send down Busenitz instead of Vargas. Not that I have anything against Busenitz but Paul really doesn't seem inclined to actually use him. 

We need more power!!! Personally... I'll take a bad OBP guy to get it. 

• Mike Sixel, Puckett34, DocBauer and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#56 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

Unless I am reading the line wrong on frangraphs he was .262/.418/.344.

Obviously the slugging isn't there, but an OBP over .400 for a month is valuable.....especially when there is no prototypical 1B knocking on the door to take over the job.

#57 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

How did a discussion about Enns first major league start end up with all this talk about Mauer?

Don't know anything about Enns other than what I read when the Twins got him. After looking at his numbers the past couple years, I mentioned that he just might turn out to be good. Still believe that and tonight we will get our first look. With Littell struggling at Chattanooga, maybe Enns will be the top end of this trade.

And count me among those who believe in Vargas. There is no way he can produce to his maximum getting sent back and forth between Rochester and Minneapolis every few weeks. I still like his potential and see him as an excellent fit with the young guys on this team, ie, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Polanco and Kepler. They seem to fit together real nice.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#58 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

I agree Mauer is the best we've got at 1B for now, and he's not a liability by any means, but I think some people really undersell how ineffectual he is. We've lowered our standards to what we call "good" play at 1B. Watching the bottom of the order get on base and the top of the order repeatedly do nothing about it is pretty darn frustrating. Continuing the status quo 4 months into the season is just punting on the problem.

The bottom of the order has what...3 good games in a row now?  Let's not act like they have been producing all season long, or even for an extended period of time.

• Puckett34 and wsnydes like this

#59 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

I like that they adjusted the rotation to have Enns go tonight, instead of in Mejia's usual spot. Detroit has the best OPS vs. LHP in all of baseball at .841. The Brewers are 12th at .752.

That, and Detroit's bat's have ~ .120 higher OPS vs LHP over vs RHP, while Milwaukee is about the same

• h2oface and Tom Froemming like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#60 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Perhaps not, Vargas has had a lengthy audition. Garver hasn't had one yet though.

And for what it's worth, even during the years where people questioned Garver's bat, he always was really good at drawing walks. It's not like they'd be replacing Mauer with a guy who's at bat is constantly decided by the second pitch.