Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dietrich Enns to make his MLB debut

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Good luck to him. 

• glunn likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,646 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

I mean... at the end of the day, Enns is 2-2 with a 2.10 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP in 51.1 innings (9 games, 8 starts) this year in the International League. He's got 12 walks and 51 strikeouts. 

I mean... that's pretty good. I feel like we should be more excited about this... 

• glunn, Thrylos, pbrezeasap and 17 others like this

#23 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

You THINK Slegers won't be able to get guys out (and you could be right).  But I'm willing to give him a shot just the same as Gonsalves.  

As much as I would like to see Gonsalves I don't know if i would be ready to burn an option on him this year.  Next year I think he could be a May/June Call up along with Romero.

• howieramone2 likes this

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Agreed. I think that this FO is trying to promote on merit rather than organizational longevity. I also think the promotion order tells you everything you need to know about what the FO thinks about the previous regime's guys at AAA - not a whole lot. We made the trade of a seasoned starter with an expiring contract for someone else's AAA  guy who may or may not make it. We can wait to see; the Yankees decided they couldn't wait to endure the ups and downs of a young starter. Very sensible trade on paper and it will be fun to see how it plays out in practice.  

• Loosey and h2oface like this

#25 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I mean... at the end of the day, Enns is 2-2 with a 2.10 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP in 51.1 innings (9 games, 8 starts) this year in the International League. He's got 12 walks and 51 strikeouts. 

I mean... that's pretty good. I feel like we should be more excited about this... 

If he becomes a #3/#4 starter we essentially got him for Ynoa who is a long ways away.  I'm excited about a new young arm.

• glunn, darin617, h2oface and 1 other like this

#26 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

If he becomes a #3/#4 starter we essentially got him for Ynoa who is a long ways away.  I'm excited about a new young arm.

And Littell, the other piece of that trade projects to be better.  

• darin617, Dantes929 and Danchat like this

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

He hasn't been here long enough for us to Slama-tize him.

I'm excited for a new young(ish) guy, it's tempered a bit seeing as those numbers weren't going to be enough for the pitching hungry Yankees to keep a 40-man spot for him.

But there are plenty of really good MLB pitchers who put up great numbers in the minors but didn't have great stuff so they never were thought highly of as prospects.

And even if he doesn't amount to much in the long run, an out-of-nowhere usefulness a la Brian Duensing or Scott Diamond would be helpful right now.

• Dantes929 likes this

#28 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

If Enns comes out and makes a nice 6-7 inning start, he's going to make the Yankees look kinda foolish especially after Garcia's bad last start.

• nicksaviking and Dman like this

#29 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

I'm really looking forward to this start tonight. It's always fun to see guys with potential make their debut.

I also like the decision to push Gibson to the Detroit series. He pitched one of his best games against them in their last matchup.

• Taildragger8791 and howieramone2 like this

#30 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Enns supposedly has a deceptive release and the Brewers strike out a ton.  I like Enns' chance tonight for a nice debut.

• gunnarthor, pbrezeasap, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

Strikes me as the kind of guy who can be effective in minimal looks. Smart to break him against a team they won't face again.
  • Respy likes this
Papers...business papers.

#32 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Agreed. I think that this FO is trying to promote on merit rather than organizational longevity. I also think the promotion order tells you everything you need to know about what the FO thinks about the previous regime's guys at AAA - not a whole lot. We made the trade of a seasoned starter with an expiring contract for someone else's AAA  guy who may or may not make it. We can wait to see; the Yankees decided they couldn't wait to endure the ups and downs of a young starter. Very sensible trade on paper and it will be fun to see how it plays out in practice.  

The previous regime's guys are at Target Field. 

Edited by howieramone2, 10 August 2017 - 10:38 AM.

• gunnarthor likes this

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Agreed.That's what I don't get.He is putting up Berrios numbers.If someone who has been with the Twins all season was putting those king of numbers, there would have been an outcry for his promotion.  

People are even want to see Slegers in the majors, who just won't cut it, over Enns.I don't get it.

• SwainZag likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think it is important to keep reasonable expectations but he has a decent chance to become a solid to very good back end starter. I consider very good back end starters to be nearly average SP'ers in the 4.25 ERA or better area. This has to be the goal for every pitcher on the staff even if it is very unlikely to occur.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#35 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Frustrating they couldn't figure out a different move other than sending Vargas back again. Mauer is running on fumes. It would be nice to have a 1B other than .195 GImenez. 

Molitor didn't seem pleased with the totality of the moves. 

This is the surprising part.  I was expecting a reduced Mauer role as he continually shows that he wears down.  Enns will likely be yo-yo'd though so maybe Vargas or a Garver will come back.

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

If Enns comes out and makes a nice 6-7 inning start, he's going to make the Yankees look kinda foolish especially after Garcia's bad last start.

Bold prediction: Enns will look no worse tonight than Garcia did for the Yankees last outing.:)

• Mike Sixel and h2oface like this

#37 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

This is the surprising part.  I was expecting a reduced Mauer role as he continually shows that he wears down.  Enns will likely be yo-yo'd though so maybe Vargas or a Garver will come back.

Joe had a pretty good month in July, I would be more willing to call 8 games in August a mini-slump rather than being worn down.  The BABIP of .120 won't stay that low. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#38 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Joe had a pretty good month in July, I would be more willing to call 8 games in August a mini-slump rather than being worn down.  The BABIP of .120 won't stay that low. 

Joe has carried us in the past, I think there is a good chance he will again.

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#39 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

For me there have been so many bad debut starts it is hard to get too excited.  I hope he does well and his numbers look good but so did Berrios and he didn't off that well.  I want to be over the moon excited but like I said recent history has me skepticle.

#40 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'm really looking forward to this start tonight. It's always fun to see guys with potential make their debut.

I also like the decision to push Gibson to the Detroit series. He pitched one of his best games against them in their last matchup.

We haven't had a good one in a while