Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dietrich Enns to make his MLB debut

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,915 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Well, according to Lincoln-Way Central baseball on Twitter, Dietrich Enns will be called up to the Twins. Likely to take Adalberto Mejia's spot in the rotation.

I like it.  Call him up, see what happens... Opportunity!

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Thrylos and 15 others like this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Nice, I'm glad to see a rookie start instead of a vet like Santiago. Let's hope things go well for him!

• Otwins and bighat like this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

They can't keep Santiago on a rehab assignment indefinitely. I believe the limit is 30 days for pitchers. I think Hector is half way there.

#4 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Glad they are going to see what they have in Enns.  He is older, already on the 40 man and they need to make a decision on him as there are lots of candidates to possibly protect in the rule 5.  I know Slegers has earned a shot but it looks like he will have to wait a little longer.

• glunn and bighat like this

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

The most logical candidate to get promoted, because he would give them the best probability to win.And he has outpitched fellow lefty Hector Santiago at AAA.

I hope that someone else takes Colon's spot on the rotation next.

• jud6312 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Seems like your chances of being called up for the Twins are way better if you haven't been in the system. The non twins' guys seem to get the call before the guys that have worked their way up in our own farm system. They aren't good enough for the teams that discarded them, but they are for the Twins. Meanwhile, our farm guys are passed by or put deeper in the depth chart.

I am not saying Enns shouldn't be the call, but am just noticing......

Edited by h2oface, 09 August 2017 - 08:06 PM.

• Mike Sixel, bluechipper, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

Seems like your chances of being called up for the Twins are way better if you haven't been in the system. The non twins' guys seem to get the call before the guys that have worked their way up in our own farm system. They aren't good enough for the teams that discarded them, but they are for the Twins. Meanwhile, our farm guys are passed by or put deeper in the depth chart.

I am not saying Enns shouldn't be the call, but am just noticing......

Who on the 40 man roster should be called ahead of him?

Jorge did twice, and he sucked both times.Don't want to do that to Romero for sure.

Off that roster:

Slegers and Hurlbut will not be able to get major league hitters out.Gonsalves just moved into AAA

• Loosey, Mike Frasier Law, h2oface and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Jorge did twice, and he sucked both times.Don't want to do that to Romero for sure.

Off that roster:

Slegers and Hurlbut will not be able to get major league hitters out.Gonsalves just moved into AAA

At this point, I don't really care. This was an observation referring to a general occurrence, not just this one. Enns could suck, too, right? They all could suck. One might be ready and it isn't found out because they weren't advanced. Gonsalves just being moved to AAA shouldn't matter. Pitchers (and players) get called up from AA. So "protect" Romero and Gonsalves but not Enns? I am ambivalent about who it is. I don't really like any of the choices, and can't really get excited about it. 

I don't like Colon (and he has been good here), I never wanted Nolasco or Santiago or Pelfrey or Capps even when they were acquired...... I doesn't matter what I want. I don't want this team to operate on the cheap. It doesn't matter what I want.

Edited by h2oface, 09 August 2017 - 08:46 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

At this point, I don't really care. This was an observation referring to a general occurrence, not just this one. Enns could suck, too, right? They all could suck. One might be ready and it isn't found out because they weren't advanced. Gonsalves just being moved to AAA shouldn't matter. Pitchers (and players) get called up from AA. So "protect" Romero and Gonsalves but not Enns? I am ambivalent about who it is. I don't really like any of the choices, and can't really get excited about it. 

I don't like Colon (and he has been good here), I never wanted Nolasco or Santiago or Pelfrey or Capps even when they were acquired...... I doesn't matter what I want. I don't want this team to operate on the cheap. It doesn't matter what I want.

For anyone they signed for the same money the reaction would have been the same.

#10 Suicide Skweez

Suicide Skweez

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

Off that roster:

Slegers would've been a viable option. I'm not predicting how he'd do against ML hitting because none of us really know but it would've made some since if he got the call.

But... I just don't get all the clamoring for Jorge to get another shot. You're right, A) He's been bad when he made his starts with the big club, and B ) He's gotten very lucky in AA. He gets shellacked, and it seems like he's always giving up 8/9/10 hits per game while getting relatively lucky with the earned runs. I really think AAA is his ceiling as a decently effective starter.

Edited by Suicide Skweez, 09 August 2017 - 10:40 PM.

#11 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Time to buy an Enns jersey. I've been buying a jersey for every pitcher the Twins have thrown out there this year.

Don't worry, I have good equity built up on my home, and cash out refinancing makes sense.
  • glunn, pbrezeasap, Riverbrian and 5 others like this

#12 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

He's been very good at AAA this season and the kicker, he's already on the 40 man roster.  

#13 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Frustrating they couldn't figure out a different move other than sending Vargas back again. Mauer is running on fumes. It would be nice to have a 1B other than .195 GImenez. 

Molitor didn't seem pleased with the totality of the moves. 

Edited by howeda7, 09 August 2017 - 11:00 PM.

• Mike Sixel, h2oface and lukeduke1980 like this

#14 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:00 AM

Time to buy an Enns jersey. I've been buying a jersey for every pitcher the Twins have thrown out there this year.

Don't worry, I have good equity built up on my home, and cash out refinancing makes sense.

You may have to go to the enns of the earth to find that jersey.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Mike Sixel and 11 others like this

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,879 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

I'm not worried, the Enns justify the means.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap and 16 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#16 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

You THINK Slegers won't be able to get guys out (and you could be right).  But I'm willing to give him a shot just the same as Gonsalves.  

• Dantes929, goulik, adorduan and 1 other like this

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,906 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Romero isn't going to help the Twins this season. He's going to get shut down any minute now because he pitched so few innings last season. He's not an option after Sept 1 at the very latest so his impact would be minimal. Best leave him where he is now.

As for Gonsalves, he's not on the 40-man roster and Enns is already there. I'd prefer to see Gonsalves but going with the guy already on the 40-man in that situation is a no-brainer.
  • glunn, Dantes929, adjacent and 4 others like this

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

They'll have to make a 40 man decision on Enns at the end of the year anyway. Good idea to take him for a test drive first.

And I like Gee in the bullpen better.

• glunn, pbrezeasap, h2oface and 5 others like this

#19 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

The most logical candidate to get promoted, because he would give them the best probability to win.And he has outpitched fellow lefty Hector Santiago at AAA.

I hope that someone else takes Colon's spot on the rotation next.

While I am not a huge fan of Colons I believe he has pitched better than Santana and Berrios the last few games.  If the Twins hang around the wild card race and he continues to pitch well I am fine with him pitching every 5th day.

• glunn, pbrezeasap, adjacent and 2 others like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,294 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Congratulations! So exciting to have a dream come true.

• jorgenswest, glunn and pbrezeasap like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.