Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Are the Twins buyers again?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

They bought Garcia for a low minors lottery ticket and traded him for two guys in the high minors. I think this all says More about the deals that were available than it does about one week of baseball. We need pitching sooner than later and those two guys are better for the team long term than Ynoa or Garcia
  • birdwatcher, LaBombo, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#42 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,361 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

The nice thing about being buyers one week. And sellers the next week. And buyers the next week. And sellers the next week. Is that you will be right about half the time! :). As for me, I see both sides of this issue, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Edited by Platoon, 09 August 2017 - 05:17 PM.

• brvama, adjacent, snepp and 5 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#43 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

The first Garcia trade suggests otherwise.

No it doesn't. Assuming they knew already that Pohlads would be open to eating salary, he could always be flipped.
It wasn't a hard buy, it left flexibility to go either way.
  • bizaff likes this

#44 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

No it doesn't. Assuming they knew already that Pohlads would be open to eating salary, he could always be flipped.
It wasn't a hard buy, it left flexibility to go either way.

Didn't say it was a hard buy. And by your own definition, they left the flexibility to go another direction, which they did, after a week of negative results.

I didn't think this was a controversial point. A soft buy on a Kintzler or Belisle type reliever would be roughly equivalent as a change of course from a week ago as the Garcia trades.

#45 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Didn't say it was a hard buy. And by your own definition, they left the flexibility to go another direction, which they did, after a week of negative results.

I didn't think this was a controversial point. A soft buy on a Kintzler or Belisle type reliever would be roughly equivalent as a change of course from a week ago as the Garcia trades.

But I still don't believe they sold ONLY based on that week.
If the Twins had gone 30-10 over the 40 games preceding that week, they wouldn't have sold.
That week was just the cherry on top.
  • birdwatcher and spinowner like this

#46 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

I will follow the rules but all I can say is really? Same team.

#47 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:35 AM

If the Twins had gone 30-10 over the 40 games preceding that week, they wouldn't have sold.

If the Twins went 30-10 over the previous 40 gamesGarcia would have never been traded for, Alex Meyer would have learned how to pitch, Phil Hughes and Glen Perkins would never have had injuries,Mauer would still be the Mauer of the first decade and catching,Along with every other less than optimal scenario that has develop over the last couple of years.

#48 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:42 AM

While it might look schizophrenic to become buyers again, there is one scenario that could make sense. Falvey and Levine went into trade deadline saying they wanted to trade for controllable assets. Verlander is under contract through 2019. If they could get some salary relief, he would be a big boost to their rotation for this surprising stretch run, as well as the next two years.

He's having a bit of a down year, but his BABIP is over 300 this year. I bet jumping into a playoff race and getting in front of the Twins defense would help.

Imagine the jolt it would give the team. (And the rotation.)

Could they pull this off? Convince the Pohlads to pay that salary? Find a prospect return that wouldn't hurt too bad but be enough for Detroit to bite?
  • diehardtwinsfan, Oldgoat_MN, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#49 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,315 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

While it might look schizophrenic to become buyers again, there is one scenario that could make sense. Falvey and Levine went into trade deadline saying they wanted to trade for controllable assets. Verlander is under contract through 2019. If they could get some salary relief, he would be a big boost to their rotation for this surprising stretch run, as well as the next two years.

He's having a bit of a down year, but his BABIP is over 300 this year. I bet jumping into a playoff race and getting in front of the Twins defense would help.

Could they pull this off? Convince the Pohlads to pay that salary? Find a prospect return that wouldn't hurt too bad but be enough for Detroit to bite?

Do it.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#50 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Again, no one is saying it was only that week. We are not discussing possible long term memory loss in the FO. But the week was a decent sized factor. I will repeat: if the Twins did a soft buy now, it would be influenced by the past week as much as their soft sell moves at the deadline were influenced by the previous week.

#51 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

They only traded two guys for goodness sake.  Garcia and Kintzler both of whom would have been gone at seasons end anyways.  I don't get why so many here are flustered by these two moves and making it out to be the end of the world.  

"the Twins are officially sellers" yadda yadda yadda......This isn't that big of deal and it netted us Enns and Littell (who is the real pickup here).   

Would i have liked to have gotten Gray or some other Front line starter and a couple of relievers, ABSOLUTELY!  But not at the expense of a bunch of prized prospects when it's clear this team has a lot of work left to do.

Edited by laloesch, 10 August 2017 - 06:59 AM.

• brvama, SwainZag, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#52 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,738 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

I like the idea of getting Verlander but his price would have to be dirt cheap to take on that contract.

And I doubt the Tigers are at that point right now.

I'd rather see the Twins make a run at someone like Darvish this offseason.
  • brvama, beckmt and Oldgoat_MN like this

#53 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

This is a great idea. Verlander won't cost much, and he can finish his contract with a talented young core.

• howieramone2 likes this

#54 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

honestly, trading Garcia helped in the long term and quite possibly the short. We don't know how good Enns is, but it's not unreasonable to think that he could be comparable out of the gate to Garcia. He's just an unknown.

• wsnydes likes this

#55 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Did I say otherwise?  The original poster said, don't make a trade based on the last week.My point is, the Twins already did that (and a lot of people patted them on the back for it around here).

FWIW, since those streaks, Cleveland is 3-5 and KC is 3-8.  We haven't played particularly well in that time either, but we've made up 2.5 games on KC and the second wild card spot.

I wasn't meaning to say you said otherwise.  I was more adding to your point on what was significant about one back week being compounded by their competition being perfect.

#56 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I think it depends on what would need to be given up. If it's a huge prospect haul I say hold off and save the money for the off-season and get someone like Darvish who will likely need more money but no prospects in FA.  It is very strange even contemplating the Twins having a shot at a front line FA, but something with the new FO makes me think they can convince the Pohlads to let them spend.  Also, with taking on Garcia's salary and eating other salaries, I am beginning to think Terry Ryan was the cheap one and it wasn't 100% on the Pohlads.

#57 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Again, no one is saying it was only that week. We are not discussing possible long term memory loss in the FO. But the week was a decent sized factor. I will repeat: if the Twins did a soft buy now, it would be influenced by the past week as much as their soft sell moves at the deadline were influenced by the previous week.

Well the post I originally responded to said it was based on one bad week.

#58 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Also, with taking on Garcia's salary and eating other salaries, I am beginning to think Terry Ryan was the cheap one and it wasn't 100% on the Pohlads.

There could actually be some truth to this, he just thought if they were making good money he had job security :)

#59 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Half game back!

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#60 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

Purge what you can from the 40 man, call up some young arms, and let it fly.

If they make the postseason, great. If they don't, oh well, it was probably fun to watch anyway.

Who should the Twins "purge" from the 40 man roster?