Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Are the Twins buyers again?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

Is Kate part of it also? that could help sell tickets on the chance she might show up?

(I started this Verlander talk as a joke)

You have to put an emojior two so people know you are joking :roll: :confused: :lol: :lol:

But you can't post too many

• Tom Froemming likes this

#22 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

We can trade Reed, Slegers Curtis and Garver and anybody else we don't plan on calling up :banghead:

I don't really get the angst about anyone on the list other than Garver. Reed has had health problems and still hasn't been able to pitch on consecutive days this year. Curtiss has moved really quick through the system for a 6th round pick, getting through 7 levels in less than 3 years of playing time. Slegers is basically a non-prospect. The Garver thing is frustrating and inexplicable, other than he won't get any catching time in MLB with Gimenez around. I won't get upset about the others until September passes by.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 09 August 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#23 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

They made multiple trades based on one bad week of play leading up to the deadline...

One bad week,? They were 10-15 in July (when it mattered before deadline)  and and slightly under .500 in June.  With their disparaging run differential, and their youth, I think it was wise to sell marginal players for youth.

I also think it's incredible how up and down we in this forum get after every win or loss (I know I shouldn't be as I've been on this forum for a while).  We are buyers now?  Crazy.

Do we really think this team is going to hit to cover up for our terrible pitching?  I don't.  

I would like it if they did.

• birdwatcher, DJSim22, beckmt and 6 others like this

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

One bad week,? They were 10-15 in July (when it mattered before deadline)  and and slightly under .500 in June.  With their disparaging run differential, and their youth, I think it was wise to sell marginal players for youth.

I was simply commenting on the fact that they bought (Garcia), then a week later sold (Garcia and Kintzler).  The FO seemed to believe that something changed in that week, even if you disagree.

• rghrbek likes this

#25 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

I was simply commenting on the fact that they bought (Garcia), then a week later sold (Garcia and Kintzler).  The FO seemed to believe that something changed in that week, even if you disagree.

The thing that changed is the two teams above them won every single game they played and the Twins won 1.

Edited by Loosey, 09 August 2017 - 01:48 PM.

• birdwatcher, DJSim22, SwainZag and 4 others like this

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

The other thing that changed is they played playoff teams and did not compete well. I think it gave the FO a realistic look at the team's chances in the playoffs and they found them wanting. 

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, rghrbek and 1 other like this

#27 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

The Garver thing is frustrating and inexplicable, other than he won't get any catching time in MLB with Gimenez around. I won't get upset about the others until September passes by.

Garver will get his chance. It just shows that they really like Gimenez as the backup, probably more for his intangible leadership skills, more than his physical skills. I'll bet Mikes monthly salary that Garver will be up before the end of the year. Does a few weeks sooner really make any difference???

• SwainZag, Taildragger8791 and howieramone2 like this

#28 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

Someone should do a chart of keywords "Twins"/"Buy" and "Twins"/"Sell" on Twitter or TD the last month to see what the rollercoaster looks like.  It'll be like the High Roller at ValleyFair... Up-down-up-down-up-down with a few small thrills in-between.

#29 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Much ado about nothing. They traded what one member called a pig with lipstick to the Yankees for 2 pitching prospects. In the other 2 trades, they moved 2 board scapegoats for 2 additional pitching prospects. We net 4 total pitching prospects, 3 of which are lefties, which is signficant, and are still in the hunt.

The big news is we didn't have to move the Romero, Jorge, Gonsalves, Stewart, or Thorpe-types.

Edited by howieramone2, 09 August 2017 - 02:03 PM.

• jud6312 and terrydactyls1947 like this

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

I don't think the Twins should be buyers at this point, but I think they should definitely be spoilers any way they can,
  • Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and Dman like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#31 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

I don't think the Twins should be buyers at this point, but I think they should definitely be spoilers any way they can,

"For the next Twins promotional giveaway, we are excited to announce that we will be giving away the leaked scripts of the next season of Game of Thrones to the first 10,000 fans"

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, Cory Engelhardt and 4 others like this

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

The thing that changed is the two teams above them won every single game they played and the Twins won 1.

Did I say otherwise?  The original poster said, don't make a trade based on the last week.My point is, the Twins already did that (and a lot of people patted them on the back for it around here).

FWIW, since those streaks, Cleveland is 3-5 and KC is 3-8.  We haven't played particularly well in that time either, but we've made up 2.5 games on KC and the second wild card spot.

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Much ado about nothing. They traded what one member called a pig with lipstick to the Yankees for 2 pitching prospects. In the other 2 trades, they moved 2 board scapegoats for 2 additional pitching prospects. We net 4 total pitching prospects, 3 of which are lefties, which is signficant, and are still in the hunt.

Hmmm... now you like the taste of pie in the sky, eh? :)

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

I suspect that we are going to have this discussion any time they win a series...

Important:

Have they proven that they can win a series from the Astron, Red Sox, and Dodgers?All three teams that they will need to beat in the post-season? Can they "buy enough" to be even close to winning a series from these 3? 

No.

Move on...

Edited by Thrylos, 09 August 2017 - 02:30 PM.

• Dman, rghrbek and terrydactyls1947 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#35 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

If you aren't calling the guy up in September, feel free to listen to trade offers.

If you aren't going to protect the guy in November, get rid of him in some way.

If the prospect is on the fringe, see if you can package in a deal.

But watch out for contracts and lack of options. If a player is available, it is because there is no need for them in another organization's plan, or they are a salary dump that you probably don't need yourself.

And speaking of salary dumps, if you think you might be paying players too much for how your tem is doing or is expected to do, flip them out for something that you need...combined with the salary relief.

And tell Molitor to find a lineup and stick with it, thinking ahead to 2018. Is Buxton better at leadoff? Who is the BEST clean-up hitter. How should Mauer contribute? 

• Danchat likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#36 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

I get the impression that where you fall on the buy/sell debate depends on how you value the Twins finishing the year competitively, if not primed for a deep playoff run. They're not going to add anyone that puts them in the Houston / LA tier, or even Boston or New York probably. But how much would you be willing to spend (in prospects) to finish ahead of the Royals? How important is that?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

I get the impression that where you fall on the buy/sell debate depends on how you value the Twins finishing the year competitively, if not primed for a deep playoff run. They're not going to add anyone that puts them in the Houston / LA tier, or even Boston or New York probably. But how much would you be willing to spend (in prospects) to finish ahead of the Royals? How important is that?

I might have endorsed a Sonny Gray trade, but not a trade of "real" prospects for a 2 month rental. Also, I hated the "one move" strategy, deployed again this year. Either try to win, or don't, but one move? ugh.

• Oxtung likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#38 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

As of today, only 1 and 1/2 back for 2nd wild card

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

They made multiple trades based on one bad week of play leading up to the deadline...

Are you sure it was only based on that one week?
Could it have been based on the losing record in the 40 games prior to the deadline?
  • birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Are you sure it was only based on that one week?
Could it have been based on the losing record in the 40 games prior to the deadline?

The first Garcia trade suggests otherwise.
  • USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this