Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Behind the Fence: Landon Leach and new signees on showcase

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

It was a scorcher this weekend in Fort Myers with temperatures at 110 with the heat index but that didn't stop the GCL Twins from getting their weekend series against the Boston Red Sox.  There were quite a few new faces in camp after the recent indy ball signees and all found some game action over the weekend.

On the mound Friday was Venezuelan righty Carlos Suniaga who improved to 3-0 on the season.  The 20 year old throws a fastball with sink and run at 90-92 mph, a slider, a curveball, and a changeup.  Here is video from Suniaga's last start vs the Red Sox 7/29.  Side note, catching Suniaga was 2017 38th Rd pick and 6'6 Ben Rodriguez, it was his first time behind the plate as a professional.  Overall a decent performance for the big man.

Starting Saturday's game at Centurylink was new signee Michael Kohn who only threw an inning but showed a fastball 91-93 mph with two curveballs at 77 and 79.

Relieving Kohn was the 2017 first round supplemental pick RHP Landon Leach.  Leach is a thick bodied pitcher who shows a fastball that was 89-93 and sitting around 91-92 the four innings he threw.  Lando also mixed in a 84-86 mph breaking ball that had a few of the Twins pitchers in disagreement of it's classification.  He also had a few of the Sox swinging and missing it too and when the hitters made contact it was often on the ground and weak.  For the record, Trackman and the Twins recorded his breaker as a slider despite having the bend of a curveball.  

After Leach departed, 23 year old 6'7 lefty Kevin Marnon made his appearance going two innings and striking out three.  His fastball was 91-93 mph but was fairly straight and looked a little more with his extension.  

My surprise of the day was Derek Molina, I hadn't seen him pitch and came away fairly impressed.  Molina's fastball was 91-93 mph with good movement and life as well as a strong breaker at times

At the plate, Taylor Grzelakowski made his Twins debut going 1-4 with a walk, a strikeout and two RBIs.  T.Gelly as his teammates call him, he's listed as an outfielder but has been donning the catchers gear.  Gelly has giant hands that suit behind the plate.

Not only was it T.Gelly's debut but also 20 year old outfielder Edgar Herrera who had been out with a broken hamate bone.  He responded with a two run rbi basehit in his first at bat.

The GCL Twins have had a couple of hitters on fire of late, namely Jean Carlos Arias and he continued that on Saturday going 3 for 3 with a walk and a triple short of the cycle by the fifth inning before being pulled.  The other hitter is 20 year old 2B Emmanuel Morel, whom has shown a knack for getting basehits albeit a 33% K rate.  He has speed but horrible baserunning instincts as I've seen him picked off first three times, everytime he breaks for second and has made it successful 2 times.

Lastly, Royce Lewis has been a little cold at the plate for his standards still he shows plus plus speed that can completely change a ballgame.  In one instance he hit a ball no more than 10 feet from the plate and still ended up on second base.  But the biggest takeaway I have is the huge strides Royce's defense at shortstop has taken since the beginning of the GCL namely his footwork.  

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, glunn and 11 others like this

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,292 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Great writeup and videos.  Thanks!

• Kevin, nicksaviking and Bob Sacamento like this

#3 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

Great writeup and videos.  Thanks!

Enjoy them, only a few more left!

• glunn likes this

#4 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

Watching Lewis's swing, and comparing that video to some of his pre draft video, he looks out of sorts to me. Im not liking his balance at the plate (but the Twins haven't yet got rid of his leg kick)

Is he having trouble with breaking stuff?

• glunn likes this

#5 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

Enjoy them, only a few more left!

Unlike this

• ashburyjohn, glunn, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#6 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Completely forgot to mention, rehabber, former first rounder and Red Sox top prospect Blake Swihart played in the weekend series where the Twins pitchers held him to 1 for 9 with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.

• glunn likes this

#7 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Fan of the MLB Draft

• Members
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Lewis is adding a toe tap to go along with a leg kick? I think we are going to see some massive timing issues in that swing.

• glunn likes this

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#8 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Watching Lewis's swing, and comparing that video to some of his pre draft video, he looks out of sorts to me. Im not liking his balance at the plate (but the Twins haven't yet got rid of his leg kick)

That's a noisy swing for sure.

• glunn likes this

#9 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Of late he's been off at the plate and it appears to my eye that it's timing and balance.  There are a couple of times where his leg kick is premature, even holding it up in the air at times while the pitcher delivers the ball.  

I will note that more and more players are using a leg kick down here in the GCL than in years past.

• glunn and bluechipper like this

#10 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lewis looks like he shows nice plate discipline, however noisy his swing is. Also, I am by no stretch someone who know mechanics, but does his swing look long too?

#11 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Fan of the MLB Draft

• Members
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

Lewis looks like he shows nice plate discipline, however noisy his swing is. Also, I am by no stretch someone who know mechanics, but does his swing look long too?

Yes.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#12 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

No doubt the kid has a good eye and makes adjustments not only in-game, but in-at bats as well.  A month ago, before the GCL season, Kohl Stewart faced him in scrimmages and at that time told me, Royce has great hands at the plate (better than present day Buxton), when he starts to trust them more he'll be very dangerous.