Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Gonsalves, Bard promoted

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

The waiver trade deadline runs through August. IF a trade is made, those spots given to those minor league non-40 man roster players may be needed. While other moves could be made, it would simplify things if you didn't have to contend with working around moves that didn't have to be made or decided yet. Additionally, if you promote them to the major league team and then acquire a player before the waiver trade deadline, you would then have to option that player back to the minors, using an option year. If you waited until September you could keep the player on the team without wasting an option.

It only uses an option if they are down 20 days or longer.
September is only 15 days away, so there is no longer a risk of burning an option.

#42 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

In fairness that post was a week ago before they swept Milwaukee. That said, I've been staunch all year about not putting too much stock in a handful of games whether they're good or bad.

Fair enough. I don't put too much stock into a few games either but I also feel rolling with the wave is appropriate. You don't make radical decisions but you do make smaller decisions based on recent play.

#43 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

You don't make radical decisions but you do make smaller decisions based on recent play.

Agreed. Maybe I see the moves from one week being contenders and trading for Jaime Garcia, to the next week selling Kintzler and Garcia, to the next few weeks refusing to bring up younger pitchers because they're "still in the hunt," as more radical. I too want an organization that is able to roll with the wave, not one that moves perpendicular to the wave, and right now it's hard to tell which is the case.  

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

Agreed. Maybe I see the moves from one week being contenders and trading for Jaime Garcia, to the next week selling Kintzler and Garcia, to the next few weeks refusing to bring up younger pitchers because they're "still in the hunt," as more radical. I too want an organization that is able to roll with the wave, not one that moves perpendicular to the wave, and right now it's hard to tell which is the case.  

It depends how you view the moves, I suppose. I viewed them as smaller moves to bolster the team in coming seasons when it appeared the team was fading away. Had they moved either Dozier or Santana, I would have considered those more radical moves intended to tank the season and try again next year.

#45 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

It depends how you view the moves, I suppose. I viewed them as smaller moves to bolster the team in coming seasons when it appeared the team was fading away. Had they moved either Dozier or Santana, I would have considered those more radical moves intended to tank the season and try again next year.

Certainly larger moves, but they also have a definitive direction. I think the decision of whether or not a team is/isn't a contender is fairly large. To me, the more radical move is changing that stance 3 times in a period or roughly 4 weeks.