Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Gonsalves, Bard promoted

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

• glunn and gunnarthor like this
Papers...business papers.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

I wonder if this means they are thinking of Gonsalves making some September starts.

Or that Curtiss might be coming.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

Huh. Am I the only person who finds it weird that they waited until August 6th to promote Gonsalves to AAA as Chattanooga winds down its season (and postseason)?

I guess this puts Gonsalves in line to get a September promotion but hell, if you're going to do that, just call him up to Minnesota today and be done with it.

• Blake, Mike Sixel, jimbo92107 and 5 others like this

#4 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Woot Woot! Let's see some Stephen!
  • Original Whizzinator likes this
I get my opinions from media guides.

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Huh. Am I the only person who finds it weird that they waited until August 6th to promote Gonsalves to AAA as Chattanooga winds down its season (and postseason)?

I guess this puts Gonsalves in line to get a September promotion but hell, if you're going to do that, just call him up to Minnesota today and be done with it.

I find it odd too, thought for sure he's finish the season at Chattanooga.

I don't think bringing him directly to the Twins right now would exactly be setting him up for success. Don't mind a handful of starts in Septembet if (when) they're out of it.

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

The other thought I had is maybe they're setting up the depth chart for some August moves.

If a couple starters move they'll have an opening.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Interesting to see who the team shuffles off to...say, Buffalo. They need to find two spots in an already packed team. Let's see. Rochester has: Slegers, Hurlbut, Melville, Turley, Enns starting. Suppose they can bump Turley, or go with six-man. Santiago still starting down there, too.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

The fact that they moved to AAA from AA means nothing about being added to the 40-man roster in August, so they can receive a promotion.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Red Wings are 2 games back of the IronPigs for the wildcard spot. If Rochester fails to capture that would it be unprecedented to send Gonsalves back down to the Lookouts for the Southern League playoffs?

Wings season ends 9/4.Southern League playoffs start 9/6.

Edited by nater79a, 06 August 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#10 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Only two months late. 

Edited by Jaykay, 06 August 2017 - 07:05 PM.

• David HK likes this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Red Wings are 2 games back of the IronPigs for the wildcard spot. If Rochester fails to capture that would it be unprecedented to send Gonsalves back down to the Lookouts for the Southern League playoffs?

Wings season ends 9/4.Southern League playoffs start 9/6.

That would go over so well here.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

Gonsalves and Bard both deserve a promotion. They can try to help the Red Wings get to the playoffs.

I've heard Corcino is heading back to Chattanooga (LaMonte Wade was placed on the DL earlier today). Not sure what the other move might be.

And, I don't this says anything about a Twins call up in September either way.

• jorgenswest, glunn and gunnarthor like this

#13 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

I don't think bringing him directly to the Twins right now would exactly be setting him up for success. Don't mind a handful of starts in Septembet if (when) they're out of it.

What good does waiting three weeks do? Honest question. They've done everything but come out publicly and say "the season is done," so I don't understand why they need to wait until they're mathematically eliminated to get guys up. The season is riddled with poor pitching performances so the idea that they're worried about a younger guy having a rough start and wrecking the season after they've already waived the white flag seems odd to me. 

• David HK likes this

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Do you honestly think that calling him up now would be setting him up for failure, but in 3 weeks it won't?

#15 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

What good does waiting three weeks do? Honest question. They've done everything but come out publicly and say "the season is done," so I don't understand why they need to wait until they're mathematically eliminated to get guys up. The season is riddled with poor pitching performances so the idea that they're worried about a younger guy having a rough start and wrecking the season after they've already waived the white flag seems odd to me. 

Why can't it work the other way? At least one season Duensing came in and gave them the shot they needed to get to the playoffs. Whose to say Gonsalves won't come in and get a few wins. Why assume failure?

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#16 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:52 PM

Why can't it work the other way? At least one season Duensing came in and gave them the shot they needed to get to the playoffs. Whose to say Gonsalves won't come in and get a few wins. Why assume failure?

I'm not....that was a worst case scenario

I'm in support of Gonsalves coming up yesterday...

• bighat likes this

#17 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

I'm just happy to see fresh blood moving up through the organization. Progress, no matter how it is rewarded or portrayed is still progress. I'll take it. Gonsalves, especially, will be up soon enough.

• birdwatcher, Blake, Sconnie and 1 other like this

I [heart] to fart

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

Do you honestly think that calling him up now would be setting him up for failure, but in 3 weeks it won't?

3 weeks in AAA could be enough to determine if it is a bad idea to call him up for September hence failure at the mlb level is averted. A Semptember cal up would not have the same expectations as a August one so there would not be anything really attached to an unsuccessful stint.

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

Perhaps the biggest reason was that since the arrival of Littell, Chattanooga had six starters. Someone had to go up. Of most interest was that it was Gonsalves over Jorge, Romero, or Stewart.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

Perhaps the biggest reason was that since the arrival of Littell, Chattanooga had six starters. Someone had to go up. Of most interest was that it was Gonsalves over Jorge, Romero, or Stewart.

well, of the 4 he's the most ready. I don't think anyone would doubt that. Romero has certainly made a case, but he's also on a strict innings limit at this point.