Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

My wish list for the last 55 games of the season

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

As of this morning, Saturday, August 5, the Twins are 52-55, in third place in their division, 7 games back of Cleveland, and tied for fourth behind the second Wild Card team (KC), 3.5 game back, and 4.5 games back behind the first Wild Card team (New York). Realistically, they are very unlikely to win the division, but they could certainly make a run at a Wild Card spot if they get hot. However, with a crowded field, it is also unlikely. I'd rather focus on a few things I'd like to see down the stretch, as these last two months could be important for next season. If they make a run at wild card, great, but most important is progressing on several fronts to set up a competitive team for next year.

Here is my list:
--See Byron Buxton's average climb to 240 as he continues to look more relaxed at the plate. I also want to see at least 3 triples from him before the end of the year.

--Watch Mauer's average climb to 290 before the end of the season. He is striking out much less this year. He's put several years between his big concussion. I think he has at least one more 300 season in his bat, and I am hoping it is next year. I want him to be a veteran leader with a renaissance year on a playoff team next year.

--Have Brian Dozier get on a homerun roll like the end of last year. Two home runs yesterday. If he can get to 30 before the end of the season, he could regain value as a potential trade candidate in his contract year.

--Get good starts from Mejia and Gibson. I think both will play a role with the 2018 club. Right now Mejia looks more likely to be a main rotation arm, but Gibson has shown some signs of improvement in the last month. How he does in the last 10 starts is important. And can Mejia become more efficient?

--Witness as few Colón starts as possible. Realistically I think he is in the rotation through the end of the year (to try to get his seven more wins), but come September, I'd like to see Gonsalves get a few starts. Romero as well, but I think he's on a pitch count, so that might not happen.

--Bullpen tryouts. Let's see which of Hildenberger, Busenitz, Gee...and hopefully Curtiss and 1-2 others from the minors can pitch well down the stretch.

--Win games. I will admit that the past few years, I have been fine with as many losses as possible down the stretch in order to get a higher draft pick. I was glad they did poorly at the end of last year so they could get the top draft pick. But this year, I want to see them playing their hearts out to win as many games as they can down the stretch. I want them to aim for finishing with at least 81 wins. 30-25 down the stretch would give them 82 wins. That would be a nice stepping stone towards next year.

Now, if they finish above 500, that likely means Molitor stays. I'm torn on that. I personally think the Twins would be better served with a new manager. But I'm not going to root for the team to lose so that they can fire Molitor. (It's worth noting the Cubs were ruthless in firing Renteria when Maddon became available. If Falvey thinks the team would be better with a new manager, even if they finish above 500, I hope he is just as ruthless.)

So, that's my list. What do others want to see for the last two months of the season?
  • glunn, Oldgoat_MN, Willihammer and 2 others like this

#2 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

As many others on these boards have said, I would like to see the youth.

Randy Rosario should get another look because, 1) he is on the 40-man, and 2) his numbers don't scream, "I should be on the 40-man".

Same with Felix Jorge.

Either give the AAA pitchers some chances or move the AA pitchers to AAA. Don't understand at all why we keep picking up castoffs without giving the guys we have a shot.

I have stopped hoping for this. Apparently they already know what all these guys can do, but if so why did they give Felix Jorge a second start if they knew he was going to fail in that second start?

• jimbo92107, Willihammer, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

My request is pretty simple. I want to see young pitchers and I want to see the Twins play 4+ games over .500 the rest of the way, closing the season with no fewer than 82 wins.
  • glunn, gunnarthor, Danchat and 3 others like this

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Well, if this is a wishing thread, I wish that Yvonne Strahovski would marry me (my wife is cool with it) and I wish that the Twins would win the world series. In that order.

I'd also like to see Romero get called up to the pen and see Gonsalves make some ML starts in September. 

• glunn and Dantes929 like this

#5 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

They're 3.5 back of the 2nd WC. They got 5 teams ahead of them. Would be cool to see them scratch and claw their way back into a playoff spot.

• glunn likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Ditto on the young pitchers, both for the pen and the rotation. And it's not even about the young starters being ready at the beginning of 2018. It's more about challenging them and getting them ready for AAA and for when that ML opportunity arrives. If they can be ready sooner, then that is awesome.

I also want to see Garver. All do respect to Giminez, we need to see what Garver can do going forward.

And let's shoot for at least .500.
  • glunn and mikelink45 like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I want to see the young players.

I don't believe that the organization needs to see them. We certainly won't when looking at results. A month or two isn't enough sample to be meaningful, but any good starts will offer hope. It might be the false hope of Parmelee and Pinto, but hope nonetheless.

There is no hope in watching Gimenez or Belisle. I want to see Garver and Curtiss. I am entertained by Colon, but there is no hope there. Maybe there is hope in Enns.
  • glunn, Oldgoat_MN, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Does wishing for a playoff berth (more games) violate the "can't wish for more wishes" rule?
  • USAFChief, jorgenswest, glunn and 2 others like this

#9 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Does wishing for a playoff berth (more games) violate the "can't wish for more wishes" rule?

I'll have to check with NY for a ruling, but I think you are ok.

By the way, speaking of NY...is it ok to wish for García to lose all of the games he pitches for the Yankees? (And for Gibson to win all of the games he pitches in his place?)
  • glunn likes this

#10 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

They're 3.5 back of the 2nd WC. They got 5 teams ahead of them. Would be cool to see them scratch and claw their way back into a playoff spot.

I think that would, in fact, be cool.
  • glunn and PseudoSABR like this

#11 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Garver.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,741 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Lineups that do not include Escobar or Gimenez in the 3/4 holes.
  • jorgenswest, glunn, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#13 jandersh

jandersh

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

It's clearly time to give the young talent some time in the majors. Since the majority of players struggle during their first major league stint it would make a lot of sense to give the youngsters playing time in order to give them the best chance to be positive contributors next year. With that in mind I would love to see:

- Two of Gonsalves/Romero/.Jorge/Enns in the starting rotation for Colon/Gibson

- Garver taking over the Gimenez role

- Three from the Curtis/Reed/Melotakis/Moya/Rosario/Bard group replacing Belisle/Boshers/Gee

• glunn likes this

#14 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,293 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

I wish for better plate appearances. It seems to me that the offense should be better. Maybe I am really wishing for a new hitting coach.

#15 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

The 2 G's- Garver and Gonsalves. Also a "C" for Curtiss. Wins and losses are not that important at this time.
Hopefully the new management will turn over this roster and get a lot younger.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#16 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

I wanna see Buxton, Rosario, Kepler & Granite share the OF/DH.  I don't care if I ever see Robbie Grossman again.  

I wanna see Byongho Park.  I'd like to see more of Kennys Vargas too (but I know I can't have anything).

I wanna see Gibson and Mejia pitch well enough to deserve their starts, the rest of the way.

I agree with all those that wanna see Garver.

I want Sano to stay healthy.

Is that too much to ask ?

#17 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

I wanna see Buxton, Rosario, Kepler & Granite share the OF/DH. I don't care if I ever see Robbie Grossman again.

I wanna see Byongho Park. I'd like to see more of Kennys Vargas too (but I know I can't have anything).

I wanna see Gibson and Mejia pitch well enough to deserve their starts, the rest of the way.

I agree with all those that wanna see Garver.

I want Sano to stay healthy.

Is that too much to ask ?

you "want" to see Park? He hasn't done anything for me to want to see that.

Agreed with the prevailing sentiment for wanting youth.

I also want to see the continuation of the FO and scouting makeover. While I really like Mr Goin and feel like he did the best he could with what he had, it's encouraging to me to see Falvey and Levine to remake the FO in the image of their design.

#18 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

I want the recognition of younger players in the minors.  They deserve the opportunity to advance instead of watching a Gong Show reject list filling spots all season.  If they come up and have rough spots we can look ahead.  The players the FO has brought in have rough spots followed by a downward spiral.  

We the Twins slowly losing their way to 500 the fans need something new and shiny to come to the park and see.  Give us Garver (I too am totally obsessed with the fact that Giminez batted fourth) and lots of new pitchers. Colon going for his home country record is not sustaining my interest, Gibson bouncing up and down and staying the same is not productive and young pitchers waiting and waiting in the minors is ridiculous.  

Belisle will be gone (I hope) at the end of the year so get him out of here and bring up a young pitcher.  

Sit Taylor Rogers down for a while, he is toast right now.  

More than anything put some bats on the bench and NEVER EVER bat Giminez fourth again.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

I want the recognition of younger players in the minors. They deserve the opportunity to advance instead of watching a Gong Show reject list filling spots all season. If they come up and have rough spots we can look ahead. The players the FO has brought in have rough spots followed by a downward spiral.
We the Twins slowly losing their way to 500 the fans need something new and shiny to come to the park and see. Give us Garver (I too am totally obsessed with the fact that Giminez batted fourth) and lots of new pitchers. Colon going for his home country record is not sustaining my interest, Gibson bouncing up and down and staying the same is not productive and young pitchers waiting and waiting in the minors is ridiculous.
Belisle will be gone (I hope) at the end of the year so get him out of here and bring up a young pitcher.
Sit Taylor Rogers down for a while, he is toast right now.

More than anything put some bats on the bench and NEVER EVER bat Giminez fourth again.

People are going to come to the park to watch Garver? (Not that I'm against calling him up)
Papers...business papers.

#20 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

People are going to come to the park to watch Garver? (Not that I'm against calling him up)

No - but people will come out of curiosity to see him, Romero, Gonsalves and anyone else that they have not seen.  Our current product is not going to draw the attendance if we are in the tank and it appears we are headed that way.  

The only reason we have Colon on the staff at this time is his potential to set a record that can gain the club some publicity and ticket sales.  Gibson does not offer an interesting story line or talent to intrigue the ticket buyers.  

It is time to make some changes and those do not have to mean we are giving up on the season.